• Jul 3rd, 2020 3:30 pm
[OP]
May 5, 2014
17 posts
15 upvotes
Barrie, ON

Vehicle Never Registered in Ontario?

Hello,

New to buying used cars privately. I've been doing some looking around and had some interest in a cheap vehicle. However, I'm not sure what it means in the UVIP when it shows that the vehicle has never been registered in Ontario. Does that mean it's out of province? The seller has Ontario plates on the vehicle though so wouldn't it need to be registered to have that?
6 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4587 posts
4828 upvotes
GTA
Yeah, that's suspicious.

The UVIP shows the current registered owner, along with all previous owners (in Ontario, I guess).

You could ask to see the vehicle registration slip. It will have the current owner, and license plate information on it.
Deal Fanatic
May 4, 2014
5133 posts
6845 upvotes
Toronto, ON
How do you even pull a UVIP if the car hasn't been registered? There would be no info on it.
[OP]
May 5, 2014
17 posts
15 upvotes
Barrie, ON
I figured it seemed suspect. I'll double check the ownership along with the ID of the seller.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2009
2176 posts
1778 upvotes
Ottawa
themastersb wrote: I figured it seemed suspect. I'll double check the ownership along with the ID of the seller.
Likely a curbside illegal seller who buys and sells cars without ever registering it in his own name. That way he/she doesn’t pay taxes when flipping it.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4587 posts
4828 upvotes
GTA
Quite possible. I'm curious who and what do the Ontario license plates on the car belong to.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7033 posts
3795 upvotes
Ottawa
derass wrote: Quite possible. I'm curious who and what do the Ontario license plates on the car belong to.
It could easily be the plates from another vehicle owned by the same person.