Automotive

Vehicle Registration Questions: Out of Province Safety Inspection for BC Car in Ontario

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 13th, 2017 9:22 am
[OP]
Oct 11, 2017
2 posts

Vehicle Registration Questions: Out of Province Safety Inspection for BC Car in Ontario

My new-to-me vehicle is on its way from BC to Ontario. The Service Ontario folks weren't too helpful with registration requirements, so hoping someone here can help!

So I know I need:
  1. BC Registration
  2. Bill of Sale
  3. Proof of Insurance
  4. Safety Certificate
  5. Emissions Test?

For the safety inspection/emissions test, do I really have to tow the car to a garage to get a certificate? Are you not able to get a temporary permit first?

Thanks guys!
1 reply
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
6926 posts
3515 upvotes
Ottawa
I believe since April 1st 2017, you no longer need emission test on new registrations but you will need a safety certificate for any used car (i.e. if it was ever registered in BC (even if it's a new vehicle), I believe you need an Ontario Safety).

As far as getting a temporary permit, it depends on the previous registration - if it was previously plated and that's written on the BC registration, I believe you'll be able to get a temp permit (you can get that with Ontario registrations) but if it doesn't say "previously plated", you might not be able to (I believe if you buy an Ontario vehicle and the current registration says 'unplated', you cannot get a temporary permit without the inspection first).

In your place, I would go to your local Service Ontario and ask because, from my experience, most Service Ontario are actually independent contractors and they choose to implement the rules their own way (not right but they'll simply tell you that if you want plates, you have to do what they tell you otherwise you can't get the plates ...). Get the seller to fax / email the current registration over, bring that to Service Ontario and ask them if you'll be able to get a temp permit ...

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)