• Last Updated:
  • Nov 30th, 2019 10:43 am
Tags:
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2013
4498 posts
6936 upvotes
Somewhere in AB
As a two-time Kia owner, let me chime in. Back in 2016 when we were about to get a new Kia, I was unsure of Kia/Hyundai reliability thus I leased the vehicle. I had zero issues/problems over the next 3 years and 33K kms. We then traded the car in (got good resale value as well) for another Kia which we now own.

I'd highly recommend late model Kias, especially their SUVs.
"You don’t need to sacrifice stability, common sense, and comfort if a 1% bond still lets you achieve your financial goals." M. Housel
Banned
Apr 27, 2019
406 posts
289 upvotes
Earlier gens of Korean were bad. Late model are great.

Drill this down to specific model years & issues: ie, RAV4 defective piston rings 2009 & earlier or CRV oil dilution + gen/year affected.

I had a buddy buy a Kia Optima & it looks awesome.

OP, I disagree on RAV4 styling but Im not buying, you're buying.

I would buy 1 boring reliable car & something else for driving.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
potsmoker1969 wrote: Facts are facts and the Korean fanboys wont accept it. If it's online then it's true! Thats why this world is in trouble! Typically people who buy/bought Korean cars are the ones who didn't want to pony up the extra money up front for a Japanesse car and then use the line "they came a long way" to justify there bad purchase decision but then are the same guys who cry later on. Seen and heard it over and over.
motomondo wrote: Are those really facts?

I was looking in their website for information regarding their methodology, in particular the sample size that they used to establish the "average". This is critical to understand, especially if they claim Kia is "above average".

But there is no information at all.

I looked really hard! All I found was this page: https://repairpal.com/reliability

On that page, there is a vague statement that says (and I copy and paste) :

It doesn't say how many "millions", or what data they collected, or how the reliability is calculated.

However, that page says that Honda is #1. "Honda claimed the title of most reliable brand, with the HR-V, Fit, Civic and Accord all in the top 20 most reliable cars overall."

Are those really facts? Is Honda really #1?
If either one of you guys have any alternative facts or anything to contradict the ones linked, please do so, otherwise your arguments are moot and just BS from haters LOL
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.”
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2017
1885 posts
1292 upvotes
Manitoba
I stand by my KIA, bought used @105KM mileage and now at 155KM. Never went into a shop except for oil changes and brake bleeding(which I could have done if the nipples were not seized).

Started & ran every single day be it +30c or -50c temps. Probably saved me enough money to buy another vehicle once it decides to quit on me.
Deal Expert
Oct 5, 2008
18182 posts
14185 upvotes
Toronto
by brother has had 2 Elantras in a row with no issues whatsoever in 8+ years of driving. The first one was written off in an accident.

I've had several Kia/Hyundai's as rentals over the past few years and they have also been good.
Deal Addict
May 30, 2012
4290 posts
2082 upvotes
BC
Pete_Coach wrote: *

My family was in the car dealership and repair business and they like all customers of all brands. They made money off Fords, Chevy's, Honda's, Mercedes and so on.
Every car owner that has to get their car repaired says "never again" This forum is full of them, owners of all brands. *
Maybe instead of saying "I don't own a Korean car" in every one of your post, you should provide some relevant info about your bias, like how you and family worked for KIA dealership.....

People these days.....SMH...
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
iownyou wrote: Maybe instead of saying "I don't own a Korean car" in every one of your post, you should provide some relevant info about your bias, like how you and family worked for KIA dealership.....

People these days.....SMH...
Yes, my Son was a service manager for KIA once as he was service manager for Mercedes, Infinity and Nissan too. And I did own A Optima and loved it as I did my BMW, Mercedes, a couple Hondas, a Ford and now my Subaru amongst others. My only bias, if any, is I like what I buy and drive. I have no brand loyalty.
Does not in any way change my argument or points or links or facts I posted. No bias, just facts. If those arguing would provide anything to contradict or counter any of the links, I would be fine.
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.”
Banned
Mar 7, 2007
5347 posts
3026 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote: Yes, my Son was a service manager for KIA once as he was service manager for Mercedes, Infinity and Nissan too. And I did own A Optima and loved it as I did my BMW, Mercedes, a couple Hondas, a Ford and now my Subaru amongst others. My only bias, if any, is I like what I buy and drive. I have no brand loyalty.
Does not in any way change my argument or points or links or facts I posted. No bias, just facts. If those arguing would provide anything to contradict or counter any of the links, I would be fine.
You keep using the word "facts".
i don't think you know what that word actually means.

You used to drive an Optima? Anecdotal experience. Nothing but your own opinion.
You know a few people who drive Kias, and all of them are happy? Small sample size bias (google it).

This conversation cannot get started unless you actually post some facts.
13011 posts
3095 upvotes
Toronto
firestarter99 wrote: I also went with a Gen 3 RAV4 over CRV.

If you don't need AWD (and you don't), you can pay $10,000 or less for a 2012.

The V6 costs a premium, however. The I4 has plenty of power.

No reason why a good example Gen 3 RAV4 can't last many years. But people want to change their cars up, etc.
Yup.. same with me.. got 2 actually a couple years ago for a total spend of about 21.5K before taxes (winter tires included for one of them). Late 2000s. Though did get the v6s which mostly came with AWD since we drive to the stations really but will go load the car up for camping n stuff. The 09 (refresh year) I4 was much improved and reliable. Been almost 3 years now, and have been great and useful. Most of all, I don't care if it gets dinged up a bit. It's not flashy, boring console, but actually has best space, and really good sightlines. And for me, I actually like the rear hatch side open design, and that knook underneath for extra storage space since the tire is outside.

For me, I specifically got the 08 as the secondary one for myself, and having the antennae in the front is much more convenient for putting my roofrack on than the 09 (other one) with the stubby antennae on the back of the roof.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
motomondo wrote: You keep using the word "facts".
i don't think you know what that word actually means.

You used to drive an Optima? Anecdotal experience. Nothing but your own opinion.
You know a few people who drive Kias, and all of them are happy? Small sample size bias (google it).

This conversation cannot get started unless you actually post some facts.
Yup, anecdotal. I said "I did own A Optima and loved it", i also went on to say, that you conveniently omitted " as I did my BMW, Mercedes, a couple Hondas, a Ford and now my Subaru amongst others.", also anecdotal.
My links are "facts".
"Definition
noun
something that actually exists; reality; truth: Your fears have no basis in fact.
something known to exist or to have happened: Space travel is now a fact.
a truth known by actual experience or observation; something known to be true: Scientists gather facts about plant growth.
something said to be true or supposed to have happened" https://www.dictionary.com/browse/fact

What are your "facts"? So far, you have not come up with one...
As you say "This conversation cannot get started unless you actually post some facts." At least one .LOL
Banned
Mar 7, 2007
5347 posts
3026 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote: Yup, anecdotal. I said "I did own A Optima and loved it", i also went on to say, that you conveniently omitted " as I did my BMW, Mercedes, a couple Hondas, a Ford and now my Subaru amongst others.", also anecdotal.
My links are "facts".
"Definition
noun
something that actually exists; reality; truth: Your fears have no basis in fact.
something known to exist or to have happened: Space travel is now a fact.
a truth known by actual experience or observation; something known to be true: Scientists gather facts about plant growth.
something said to be true or supposed to have happened" https://www.dictionary.com/browse/fact

What are your "facts"? So far, you have not come up with one...
As you say "This conversation cannot get started unless you actually post some facts." At least one .LOL
I am impressed that you googled the word 'facts'.
It is disappointing you (conveniently) didn't google 'small sample size bias'.

Sure, you had a Kia and nothing broke, not even once.
And if that was the case, that's a fact, I believe you.
And sure, you were happy with the car.

But no one (at least no one intelligent and sane) would take one single experience and make a generalization for all Kia's (e.g., "Because my car didn't break down, it means not one single Kia car ever broke down").

We are talking about millions of cars, and the average owner experience of millions of people. Not one or two or three.

Your links are not fact - not until they explain their methodology.
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
motomondo wrote: I am impressed that you googled the word 'facts'.
It is disappointing you (conveniently) didn't google 'small sample size bias'.

Sure, you had a Kia and nothing broke, not even once.
And if that was the case, that's a fact, I believe you.
And sure, you were happy with the car.

But no one (at least no one intelligent and sane) would take one single experience and make a generalization for all Kia's (e.g., "Because my car didn't break down, it means not one single Kia car ever broke down").

We are talking about millions of cars, and the average owner experience of millions of people. Not one or two or three.

Your links are not fact - not until they explain their methodology.
:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:
Jan 18, 2014
30 posts
25 upvotes
Toronto
Hi all thank you so much for feedback. I ended buying a 2016 Honda CRV. I did a lot of research and the information was consistent and suited my needs.