Automotive

Vehicle Trade-In - Plate Sticker Refund?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 14th, 2018 8:52 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2006
2184 posts
404 upvotes
Guelph

Vehicle Trade-In - Plate Sticker Refund?

Trading in my vehicle towards buying a new one. Dealer mentioned something about getting a partial refund back on my plate sticker. They have my ownership right now and only provided me with a photocopy of my original. Trade-in and new vehicle pickup is this coming Saturday.

Do I wait until after the weekend to go and get a refund at the Drivers Licensing Service Centre? With my old plates and photocopy of old ownership? Not sure what to do and what's needed.

Thanks.
Macreo Photography
6 replies
Deal Guru
Jan 15, 2006
12019 posts
8059 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Why don’t you just transfer the plates from the old car to the new one? Unless you want a new plate there’s zero reason to go through all this.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2006
2184 posts
404 upvotes
Guelph
EP32k2 wrote:
Nov 14th, 2018 8:10 pm
Why don’t you just transfer the plates from the old car to the new one? Unless you want a new plate there’s zero reason to go through all this.
I'm going from an SUV to a truck. So have to get new Truck plates.
Macreo Photography
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2013
1913 posts
1121 upvotes
Markham
All that's needed to refund the plates is to bring your original set of plates and the plate portion of your ownership, dealer has to give you that part in order for this to proceed. Plate portion is the one with the validation tag stickers on the back.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2006
2184 posts
404 upvotes
Guelph
JeganV wrote:
Nov 14th, 2018 8:24 pm
All that's needed to refund the plates is to bring your original set of plates and the plate portion of your ownership, dealer has to give you that part in order for this to proceed. Plate portion is the one with the validation tag stickers on the back.
I think they still have that part. Will have to get it back this weekend then.

Thank you!
Macreo Photography
Nov 16, 2011
937 posts
618 upvotes
HAMILTON
Please note that they will not just give you a refund by cash or cheque on the spot. If actually want a refund, they will send you a cheque for the amount they owe your minus a $5 processing fee.

So, if you are owed a refund of $40 they will send you a cheque for $35.

If you chose to have the money applied to future plates, they will give you the full amount in a credit slip that you must keep till the renewal date on you new plates. At that point and upon presentation of the credit slip, they will apply that full amount to your plate renewal.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2006
2184 posts
404 upvotes
Guelph
luckystrike1 wrote:
Nov 14th, 2018 8:36 pm
Please note that they will not just give you a refund by cash or cheque on the spot. If actually want a refund, they will send you a cheque for the amount they owe your minus a $5 processing fee.

So, if you are owed a refund of $40 they will send you a cheque for $35.

If you chose to have the money applied to future plates, they will give you the full amount in a credit slip that you must keep till the renewal date on you new plates. At that point and upon presentation of the credit slip, they will apply that full amount to your plate renewal.
Thank you. I have about 3-4 months left on the sticker I believe. Probably not that much to be refunded but might be enough to use towards some gas lol.
Macreo Photography