Off Topic

Verbal reasoning question

[OP]
Banned
Jun 8, 2020
97 posts
42 upvotes

Verbal reasoning question

Marco, Laura, Peter, Ben and Sally are out shopping for jackets. Ben and Laura want waterproof jackets, Peter and Sally want brightly coloured jackets with hoods, Laura and Marco want lightweight jackets and Marco and Ben want brightly coloured jackets but with a warm lining.

Out of the following statements, which one must be true? Write your answer in the answer box below.

A. Sally and Peter want different types of jackets.

B. Only two people do not want brightly coloured jackets.

C. No one wants a lightweight jacket with a hood.

D. Sally wants a coat with a hood and a warm lining.

E. Four of them do not want waterproofs.
This is for 11 year-old children in the UK.

Can you get the correct answer without googling?
70 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2005
1288 posts
300 upvotes
Your thread is misleading and inaccurate.

There is nothing inherently “verbal” about this thread at all.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
20651 posts
4753 upvotes
Poormond Hill
F. None of the above answers are right.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
[OP]
Banned
Jun 8, 2020
97 posts
42 upvotes
Tojued wrote: Nice! Now I can move on up to 12th grade.
Junior High school in North America, grade 7
(grammar school in the uk)
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
9251 posts
1703 upvotes
Toronto
I suppose it can be math and logic problem as well if you use a Venn Diagram, etc.
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2009
1095 posts
538 upvotes
Toronto
It should be noted that this kind of "logic grid puzzle" is extremely common in the UK in kids puzzle books. It's not unusual for young kids to have to solve them.

Additionally in the UK a Grammar School is simply a more selective academic secondary school (high school) in some jurisdictions. High schools are still very much existent and a grammar school is just a subset of high schools.
[OP]
Banned
Jun 8, 2020
97 posts
42 upvotes
The Canterbury Tail wrote: It should be noted that this kind of "logic grid puzzle" is extremely common in the UK in kids puzzle books. It's not unusual for young kids to have to solve them.

Additionally in the UK a Grammar School is simply a more selective academic secondary school (high school) in some jurisdictions. High schools are still very much existent and a grammar school is just a subset of high schools.
Finally someone grew up in the UK.
Therefore, people in North America generally lack Reading Comprehension, Analytical Reasoning, Logical Reasoning.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2012
6627 posts
947 upvotes
Ottawa
The Canterbury Tail wrote: It should be noted that this kind of "logic grid puzzle" is extremely common in the UK in kids puzzle books. It's not unusual for young kids to have to solve them.

They're also common in Canadian federal public service exams.

As a federal gov't employee, I imagine the day when someone will come into my work area and say "Here's a BLORT. It's warmer than a QUIB but colder than a TYSK. Please store it accordingly."
Anyone in Ottawa will understand.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
3217 posts
1065 upvotes
Woodbridge
Tugendhat wrote: Correct!
How is it c? We need to make assumptions that certain choices exclude others. The word "must" in the question should be "could." It's easy to eliminate A, B, D and E as possible answers, but the statement that Laura and Marco want lightweight jackets doesn't eliminate the possibility that those jackets may have hoods. The statement that "nobody wants a lightweight jacket with a hood" is also ambiguous. Does that mean that they wouldn't be happy with such a jacket or simply they they don't require it? If I say that "I don't want to go to the park," most native-English speakers would interpret that as me being unhappy if we were to go the park. Laura and Marco don't explicitly need a hood, although that assumes that the description of what they want is complete and exclusive of anything else, but they wouldn't necessarily mind having one.

In any case, I like questions like this primarily for the opportunity to analyze the question itself.
Jul 1, 2016
785 posts
404 upvotes
Toronto
OntEdTchr wrote: In any case, I like questions like this primarily for the opportunity to analyze the question itself.
I had a feeling we would get one of these posts lol
Did you frequently question teachers/professors on their course materials in HighSchool/Post secondary?

Sorry, just teasing... and asking out of curiosity

Would be amusing and ironic since you're a teacher yourself ;)
How do you deal with such students? (e.g. "But I like to analyze the exam rather than answer the questions!")

PS: Answer is C as no one wanted a jacket that met both criteria.

Edit:
Tugendhat wrote: This is for 11 year-old children in the UK.

Can you get the correct answer without googling?
The term "verbal reasoning" is misleading...
I think this would be very challenging even for adults to figure out if done entirely verbally (e.g. someone read this to you). At a minimal you'd need to see this on paper...
Last edited by ProjectPixelation on Aug 24th, 2020 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pixelation~