Off Topic

Verbal reasoning question

Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
5139 posts
1939 upvotes
Toronto
OntEdTchr wrote: That very last sentence is what I have a huge problem with. I’m not teaching sheep that just do as their told never question anything. That’s not the type of person a I want to share a society with. It’s laziness on the part of the author to write a question like that. It doesn’t take much to remove the ambiguity. How big is the house? How many people are working on it? When is it considered “finished?” That one isn’t that bad since the range is probably still a matter of months, but why not include “the best measure” in the question? I’ll try giving that one to my students next week as well and see what they come up with.
Yup, I'm not agreeing with the sentiment, just saying it's a little unfair to critique these questions from where we are, when the kids taking these exams have a whole library of context built up that most of us don't have. I know growing up in the UK, a heck of a lot of time spent in class was being taught how to answer questions (everything from this, to 'pure' math, to multiple choice, to essays), rather than learning "material". Almost like teaching kids how to understand how the examiner wrote the question, in order to give the answer that they are expecting. English Literature for example was almost entirely the teacher going through "all the themes that smart adults talk about when discussing the Merchant of Venice", most of which made no sense to us kids with no knowledge of the history of anti-semitism at age 13, especially when written by someone using weird words we didn't understand, for example, but those were the answers.

It's a useful skill to have in a way. Way further on in my life - like taking multiple choice examinations as part of my professional qualification - I'm able to answer questions much more quickly and knowing much less of the material. It's especially helpful when you have to do mandatory workplace training without really having read the presentation...
[OP]
Banned
Jun 8, 2020
97 posts
42 upvotes
lecale wrote: Dead simple. All you need to do is make a list of names and then list the types of jackets each one wants.

M: L Bl
L: W L
P: BH
B: W Bl
S: BH

A. false S = P
B. false 1 person
C. true
D. false bright with hood
E. false 3 persons
Thank you!
That's ALL there is to it.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
3219 posts
1068 upvotes
Woodbridge
Tugendhat wrote: Thank you!
That's ALL there is to it.
Not quite all, as evidenced by the ongoing conversation.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2012
6666 posts
949 upvotes
Ottawa
Well, I guess it depends on if a person says "I want X" that can be interpreted to mean that they do not want Y.
Does "I want X" mean "I want only X"?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2008
8949 posts
3296 upvotes
var Sally = new Object();
Sally.colour = 'Bright';
Sally.hood = 1;

var Peter = new Object();
Peter = Sally;

var Marco = new Object();
Marco.weight = 'Light';
Marco.colour = 'Bright';
Marco.hood = 1;

var Laura = new Object();
Laura.waterpoof = 1;
Laura.weight = 'Light';

var Ben = new Object();
Ben.waterproof = 1;
Ben.weight = 'Light';
Ben.colour = 'Bright';

This is an object-oriented programming puzzle.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2008
8949 posts
3296 upvotes
Manatus wrote: Yup, I'm not agreeing with the sentiment, just saying it's a little unfair to critique these questions from where we are, when the kids taking these exams have a whole library of context built up that most of us don't have. I know growing up in the UK, a heck of a lot of time spent in class was being taught how to answer questions (everything from this, to 'pure' math, to multiple choice, to essays), rather than learning "material". Almost like teaching kids how to understand how the examiner wrote the question, in order to give the answer that they are expecting. English Literature for example was almost entirely the teacher going through "all the themes that smart adults talk about when discussing the Merchant of Venice", most of which made no sense to us kids with no knowledge of the history of anti-semitism at age 13, especially when written by someone using weird words we didn't understand, for example, but those were the answers.

It's a useful skill to have in a way. Way further on in my life - like taking multiple choice examinations as part of my professional qualification - I'm able to answer questions much more quickly and knowing much less of the material. It's especially helpful when you have to do mandatory workplace training without really having read the presentation...
My mother is living a full and complete life in her eighties without ever having understood what an exponent is (or even knowing that they exist).

I say, "Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally."

Mom is "My Dear Aunt Sally."

(oh no, math jokes, this is just proof that I was assimilated by the Liberals in my youth.)
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2008
8949 posts
3296 upvotes
* The acronym for remembering the order of operations is PEMDAS, which stands for Parentheses, Exponents, Multiplication, Division, Addition and Subtraction. A mnemonic device for remembering this acronym is Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally. (Get it, Mom has no Parentheses or Exponents!)
Last edited by lecale on Aug 25th, 2020 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sr. Member
Jul 7, 2005
923 posts
124 upvotes
If this was asked to me on a test I would pick C because I understand that that is the expected answer.

If this played out in real life.... wayyy to many questions left open. Imagine picking out a gift for your girlfriend/wife with that kind of logic or 'reasoning'.

But hunnie, you didnt say you wanted... Crying Face
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2008
8949 posts
3296 upvotes
No this is the mathiest math math sh*t and 11 year olds can totally cope with it. This is not social studies, this is computer programming.
Sr. Member
Jul 7, 2005
923 posts
124 upvotes
and if there was an exit interview for test I would say this is the worst question, after answering C of course.
Last edited by linsook on Aug 25th, 2020 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2008
8949 posts
3296 upvotes
ConsoleWatcher wrote: Well, I guess it depends on if a person says "I want X" that can be interpreted to mean that they do not want Y.
Does "I want X" mean "I want only X"?
It is ok for things to be undefined.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2008
8949 posts
3296 upvotes
Say I want to compare Celebrities, I will create a Celebrity object with various attributes a celebrity has:

First Name (text)
Last Name (text)
Birthday (date)
Salary (long integer)
Net Worth (long integer)
Height (integer)
DOB (date)

And I am not going to get the full dirt on everybody, and even when I do, there is stuff that is undefined (e.g., Cher's last name.)

So the object is a structure designed to hold potential information that defines a Celebrity, to deal with irregular data, to let you programmatically deal with the fact that Cher has no last name - with ease!

MATH MATH MATH.
Last edited by lecale on Aug 25th, 2020 10:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2008
8949 posts
3296 upvotes
linsook wrote: and if there was an exit interview for test I would say this is the worst question, after answering C of course.
No you are forgiven if you answer "R."

Or is the average person expected to know how to code these days?
[OP]
Banned
Jun 8, 2020
97 posts
42 upvotes
lecale wrote: No this is the mathiest math math sh*t and 11 year olds can totally cope with it. This is not social studies, this is computer programming.
Math is categorized under Quantitative Reasoning. This is Verbal Reasoning--the logic unit in the computer.
(I know people cannot do math here)
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2008
8949 posts
3296 upvotes
Tugendhat wrote: Math is categorized under Quantitative Reasoning. This is Verbal Reasoning--the logic unit in the computer.
(I know people cannot do math here)
I can assure you that the only reason anybody wants to know what kind of jackets these people want is so that they can design an object.

Finite mathematics = sets, matrices, networks, optimization, probability.

Once you have objects that describe how people feel about jackets, and an algorithm to relate the people to each other, and ability to continually update how people feel about their jackets, there is no use sitting around doing any Verbal Reasoning around jackets because the computer is doing it for you and can handle every variable, every situation. Solve it once!

Top