Off Topic

Verbal reasoning question

Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
24835 posts
3070 upvotes
Montreal
lecale wrote: Dead simple. All you need to do is make a list of names and then list the types of jackets each one wants.

M: L Bl
L: W L
P: BH
B: W Bl
S: BH

A. false S = P
B. false 1 person
C. true
D. false bright with hood
E. false 3 persons
Yup.

Took a logic class back in the day where we did this stuff with formal notation.

http://www.philosophypages.com/lg/e10a.htm

This actually math/logic, not verbal reasoning.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2017
1051 posts
492 upvotes
Perhaps the simplest way to explain this is that there are three states to each position - yes, no and unknown. In this case, toggling a group yes, does not mean the rest is no.
One would naturally assume that in a perfectly functioning society, not answering yes implies no.

I agree with your thinking. Taking a yes/no only approach is like saying that a green light at the traffic light means that vehicles are moving if there is no traffic. Well, no, you have idiots that don't pay attention. Actually, this is a good reason most navigation maps are terrible for picking the best route in urban areas. Most coders are missing the context that a daily commuter picks up on.

A big problem in society is that many jump through the same though process as many posters here. If you don't support the popular movement, then you're racist, or whatever nasty thing they can think of. Thinking house prices are not going to continue skyrocketing means you're a bear. There is no context or patience in their thinking.
OntEdTchr wrote: Not quite all, as evidenced by the ongoing conversation.
[OP]
Banned
Jun 8, 2020
97 posts
42 upvotes
Taking a yes/no only approach is like saying that a green light at the traffic light means that vehicles are moving if there is no traffic. Well, no, you have idiots that don't pay attention.
Possibilities are endless.
Although I perfectly understand those who construe and interpret the statement literally … but it’s a shot across the bow.
Chickennbeans wrote: A big problem in society is that many jump through the same though process as many posters here. If you don't support the popular movement, then you're racist, or whatever nasty thing they can think of. Thinking house prices are not going to continue skyrocketing means you're a bear. There is no context or patience in their thinking.
There is no popular movement here. We look at the same "limited" information in the original written passage.
Of course, everyone has their own bias except people in North America love to put their individual rights above the greater good.
Oct 17, 2008
494 posts
122 upvotes
Toronto
Lol...is this a GMAT question?.....i recall seeing something similar.......and it was given to a 11 yrs old UK student?? :rolleyes:
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2008
8949 posts
3296 upvotes
Tugendhat wrote: Possibilities are endless.
No this is math. There is one possibility and that is the correct answer. If you want endless possibilities, you want literature. This is 100% a math question.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2006
8162 posts
2852 upvotes
Mississauga
Tugendhat wrote: Math is categorized under Quantitative Reasoning. This is Verbal Reasoning--the logic unit in the computer.
(I know people cannot do math here)
How is this verbal reasoning when i didn't even speak a single word to solve the problem?

Haha, i jest, i jest. Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2013
2336 posts
797 upvotes
Winnipeg
Late to the party. If you're testing logic for 11 year olds, then you would not want to add ambiguity. If this is for management roles or a job question, then you want to test decision making with ambiguous information.

So its not a good question for children but I would take it as a good question for adults.

There are 2 ways to the interpret the question -
1) Which choice is definitely true? Or in other words, which one has to be true without a reasonable doubt. When I read 1st, I took this interpretation and I thought the question is wrong.

2) Another interpretation - One of the choices is true, which one is it? Or in other words, given that one of them is true, which one must be? In yet other words, all choices are false, which is is not thus must be true?
Upon reading the posts here, I think some ppl are interpreting it this way.

Like I said above, the question's quality depends on the context in which it is asked.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. -- Douglas Adams
[OP]
Banned
Jun 8, 2020
97 posts
42 upvotes
Mr Bean wrote:
There are 2 ways to the interpret the question -
1) Which choice is definitely true? Or in other words, which one has to be true without a reasonable doubt. When I read 1st, I took this interpretation and I thought the question is wrong.

2) Another interpretation - One of the choices is true, which one is it? Or in other words, given that one of them is true, which one must be? In yet other words, all choices are false, which is is not thus must be true?
Your only interpretation is the question is wrong AND all choices are false.
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2005
4007 posts
434 upvotes
Georgetown
Tugendhat wrote: This is for 11 year-old children in the UK.

Can you get the correct answer without googling?
C is the only answer that is possible. However, I don't agree it "must be true" - it's just that all the other options are CLEARLY NOT TRUE... thus C is the only option that "could" be true.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2010
9327 posts
3599 upvotes
Toronto
for a test question, c is the only logical answer based on the information provided.
you can nitpick anything to death. we haven't even gotten into the psychology of what someone truly "wants".
and how could they make an informed choice without taking into account price? Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes
Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2013
2336 posts
797 upvotes
Winnipeg
Tugendhat wrote: Your only interpretation is the question is wrong AND all choices are false.
Sorry I meant to write except -
all choices are false except which one is not thus must be true?

So in my 2nd interpretation, answer C is correct.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. -- Douglas Adams