• Jun 28th, 2006 3:00 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2005
2607 posts
3 upvotes
Ottawa
dba4orcl wrote:LOL, your case is even worse than mine. Mine was charged $15 on the order, not on a single item. I think stooples has raise their anti-PM training to another level! :evil:
And like I said before, you have to buy ALOT of spindles just to make the $15 back.
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2005
1061 posts
got 2 packs from waterloo (conestoga) staples.. i DID find one box that had the block bold font for lock/open, just for an update..

i went back over to thesource and returned one of those packs cuz i purchased one from them 2 days ago and got my 9.19 back...

good thing it was close by.. cuz i really didn't need another 25 more dvds
5 out of 4 people have trouble with fractions

- ILCS

Heatware
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2005
5879 posts
3546 upvotes
Toronto
just got back from the stooples on eglinton and picked up 3 cakes :cheesygri this was the easiet pm at stooples yet. the people at the cash were pretty surprised at the price.

the manager/sales people were really nice they didn't try to find an excuse, other than ts having stock, like the other stoople i went to where they searched for like 5 mins to see if stooples had a rebate for these to deny the pm :lol:

at time of paying there were 5 cakes of the dvd+r's left not counting the 3 i bought.
:arrowd: B/S/T Threads :arrowd:
[FS] N/A
[WTB] N/A
Deal Guru
Mar 12, 2005
10270 posts
2239 upvotes
Victoria
I grabbed the last two packs from The Source in Mayfair Mall (victoria) today. The guy behind the counter asked if i wanted the kodak dvd-r 100 packs they had on for 24.99 instead. I said uhh no, its ok, and he looked at me kinda funny and got my my verbatims. Its always bugged me that they keep the blank media behind the counter.

Seem to have the Times Roman Font, so I guess i got the good stuff, the first 16x discs I've boughten. I'm getting towards the end of my 24.99 Maxell MIJ's i bought at xmas.
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2005
1061 posts
zod wrote:I grabbed the last two packs from The Source in Mayfair Mall (victoria) today. The guy behind the counter asked if i wanted the kodak dvd-r 100 packs they had on for 24.99 instead. I said uhh no, its ok, and he looked at me kinda funny and got my my verbatims. Its always bugged me that they keep the blank media behind the counter.

Seem to have the Times Roman Font, so I guess i got the good stuff, the first 16x discs I've boughten. I'm getting towards the end of my 24.99 Maxell MIJ's i bought at xmas.

heh.. classic spelling mistake... it does end up slipping off my tongue from time to time, but never in writing..

lol. the manager at the staples i was a little surprised at the price... but never bothered to ask me if I wanted any different brand... the store i went to had tonnes of different media on the same aisle... i doubt they'd need to hide all the stock
5 out of 4 people have trouble with fractions

- ILCS

Heatware
Deal Expert
Nov 11, 2004
62810 posts
364 upvotes
zod wrote:I grabbed the last two packs from The Source in Mayfair Mall (victoria) today. The guy behind the counter asked if i wanted the kodak dvd-r 100 packs they had on for 24.99 instead. I said uhh no, its ok, and he looked at me kinda funny and got my my verbatims. Its always bugged me that they keep the blank media behind the counter.
^ LOL!

well, they just wanted u to get a "better deal" ... :lol:

can't blame them for lacking knowledge on blank media ;)
MJM
- MJ = mahjong - a chinese game involving LOTS of strategy/skills and the smarts to win!
- M = maniac - just simply CRAZY about this game... i'd play it 24/7 if i had the time!

"I'll be here... I'll be 'waiting'... here... I'll be waiting... for you... so if you come here... you'll find me... I promise..." - FF VIII - FAN of the FF series ever since the beginning.

PEPSI IPOD WINNER on xmas.... what a SWEET christmas present!
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2005
2607 posts
3 upvotes
Ottawa
mahjongmaniac wrote:^ LOL!

well, they just wanted u to get a "better deal" ... :lol:

can't blame them for lacking knowledge on blank media ;)
Yeah, the guy probably thought the Kodaks were great given the brand name. It doesn't help that Verbatim doens't have great brand recognition.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2004
8552 posts
2162 upvotes
I don't know why some of you say the CMC media code is better than MCC;that is INCORRECT. MCC, Mitubishi Chemicals Corp. made in Taiwan or Singapore, is 1st class media, where CMC is only 3rd. Here is a link to digitalFaq, where it talks about this http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm
Anyway, the Verbatim at The Source is MCC media code, in either DVD-R or DVD+R, so grab them if you can
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2005
2607 posts
3 upvotes
Ottawa
CFRTim wrote:I don't know why some of you say the CMC media code is better than MCC;that is INCORRECT. MCC, Mitubishi Chemicals Corp. made in Taiwan or Singapore, is 1st class media, where CMC is only 3rd. Here is a link to digitalFaq, where it talks about this http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm
Anyway, the Verbatim at The Source is MCC media code, in either DVD-R or DVD+R, so grab them if you can
First, don't even reference to the digitalfaq.com, it's pure garbage. The information is all totally outdated, and very disputable.

Second, we're not saying CMC media codes are better than MCC codes. We are saying that MCC codes manufactured by CMC in Taiwan, are better than MCC codes manufactured by Prodisc in Taiwan.

MCC/MKM manufactures absolutely no single layer DVDRs at their factory in Singapore anymore. Now it's used only for double/dual layer media. Instead, MCC contracts production of single layer MCC coded media to a Moser Baer India Limited (not found in North America), Prodisc, or CMC Magnetics using Mitsubishi technology, and, for the most part, quality control.

Unfortunately, Prodisc manufactured MCC seems to be of more questionable quality at times, and in general suffers from poorer bonding than CMC made MCC.

So, when we say to get the CMC made Verbatim, we mean MCC codes made by CMC in Taiwan. These can be picked out my looking at the OPEN/CLOSE on the cakebox. A bold arial type font is Prodisc, a times new roman-style font is CMC.

Hope this clears any confusion up. :)
Deal Expert
Nov 11, 2004
62810 posts
364 upvotes
CFRTim wrote:I don't know why some of you say the CMC media code is better than MCC;that is INCORRECT. MCC, Mitubishi Chemicals Corp. made in Taiwan or Singapore, is 1st class media, where CMC is only 3rd. Here is a link to digitalFaq, where it talks about this http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm
um... perhaps u should read the thread again, or go read the DD's thread...

i think ur getting :confused: 'd on who's making which media....

EDIT: read buck's last post :)
MJM
- MJ = mahjong - a chinese game involving LOTS of strategy/skills and the smarts to win!
- M = maniac - just simply CRAZY about this game... i'd play it 24/7 if i had the time!

"I'll be here... I'll be 'waiting'... here... I'll be waiting... for you... so if you come here... you'll find me... I promise..." - FF VIII - FAN of the FF series ever since the beginning.

Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2002
19335 posts
991 upvotes
I guess you have some readup to do this weekend ;)
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2005
13432 posts
295 upvotes
Midland
All I know is that my Verbatims were MCC 004 media code.
They were the Times Roman font and that's good enough for me.
I've read that MCC 004 media is good quality - it doesn't matter if it's the best out there, just good quality.
"Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." - US President, Calvin Coolidge
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2004
8552 posts
2162 upvotes
'[buck wrote:']First, don't even reference to the digitalfaq.com, it's pure garbage. The information is all totally outdated, and very disputable.

Second, we're not saying CMC media codes are better than MCC codes. We are saying that MCC codes manufactured by CMC in Taiwan, are better than MCC codes manufactured by Prodisc in Taiwan.

MCC/MKM manufactures absolutely no single layer DVDRs at their factory in Singapore anymore. Now it's used only for double/dual layer media. Instead, MCC contracts production of single layer MCC coded media to a Moser Baer India Limited (not found in North America), Prodisc, or CMC Magnetics using Mitsubishi technology, and, for the most part, quality control.

Unfortunately, Prodisc manufactured MCC seems to be of more questionable quality at times, and in general suffers from poorer bonding than CMC made MCC.

So, when we say to get the CMC made Verbatim, we mean MCC codes made by CMC in Taiwan. These can be picked out my looking at the OPEN/CLOSE on the cakebox. A bold arial type font is Prodisc, a times new roman-style font is CMC.

Hope this clears any confusion up. :)
Ohh I see... The Verbatim with the media code MCC is better if made by CMC, opposed to Prodisc, that is a crappy Optodisc that are nothing more than fake TY OEM by Acro Circle's Ritek wannabe.
Also, the Open-Close letters & font size is just as important as the shelf that you pick it up from in the store, where the delivery truck had to be white, NOT green, and the cashier is wearing a watch on the right hand, but is not left-handed.

Gothca, Thanks :D
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
5010 posts
2 upvotes
Vancouver B.C.
CFRTim wrote:Ohh I see... The Verbatim with the media code MCC is better if made by CMC, opposed to Prodisc, that is a crappy Optodisc that are nothing more than fake TY OEM by Acro Circle's Ritek wannabe.
Also, the Open-Close letters & font size is just as important as the shelf that you pick it up from in the store, where the delivery truck had to be white, NOT green, and the cashier is wearing a watch on the right hand, but is not left-handed.

Gothca, Thanks :D
Your sarcasm needs serious improvement. I'm not even kidding... it's so bad it makes me not want to be sarcastic anymore, and that's just scary.

Look, here's the deal. The DigitalFAQ was never really correct to begin with. It fails to take into consideration many different things that can affect the media quality and compatability, and even worse, is that the list is very VERY outdated.

Let's take a look at it:

1ST CLASS MEDIA
Almost flawless burns with 95-100% reliable results:
PVC = Pioneer (Japan) = (-R)(-RW) ... media is no longer made
*True, it's no longer made, or available.... for years! TAKE IT OUT!!!!
MXLRG0x = Maxell (Japan) = (-R)(-RW)
*False! Maxell's own DVD+Rs are generally better in burn quality/compatability then their DVD-Rs, and their DVD-RWs are nothing special.
YUDENT, TYG0x = Taiyo Yuden (Japan) = (-R)(+R)
*Pending... TY's 16x media is highly incompatable and variable in quality from batch to batch. Also there are bonding issues that could cause lifespan issues. 8x DVD-R and DVD+R drive compatabililty and burn quality are fairly high however
MCC, MKM = Mitsubishi Chemicals (Singapore/Taiwan) = (-R)(-RW)(+R)(+RW)
*Mostly OK. Since Verbatim outsources 95% of all their media to CMC, Prodisc, MBIL, and potentially others, quality control is VERY difficult. Prodisc manufactured media seems to be particularily more likely to be troublesome, especially with some drives (noticably the DW1620!). DVD+RDL and DVD-RDL media SHOULD be included here.... but this list is bloody old!
TDK, TTG0x, TTH0x = TDK Corp (Taiwan/Japan) = (-R)(-RW)
*Messed up! TDK's quality fluctuated a great deal in North America, due mainly to the fact that most of what we got in Canada especially, was B Grade and quite crappy (thanks Costco!). Furthermore, TDK's DVD+R media was at LEAST as good as their DVD-R media. I'm not sure what the author of this thread had against DVD+R. TDK's DVD-RW media is in fact fairly good... when you can find it.
SONY0xD = Sony (Japan/Taiwan) = (-R)(-RW)
*Messed Up! Sony's Japanese made media was actually not as good as their media made by Daxon in many cases... however they also outsource to Taiyo Yuden, which is Japanese also (see above for my comments on TY). I don't think Sony even SELLS DVD-RW media though! and their DVD+RW media is among the best anywhere!! So I have no idea what this guy was thinking. Maybe it's just too old again?

2ND CLASS MEDIA
Decent discs, though not perfect, about 80-95% success rate:
*How does this guy calculate these success rates? Look like he pulled numbers out of the air that sounded good to him...
RICOHJPN = Ritek or Ricoh (Taiwan) = (+R)(+RW)
*Half right. The initial burn quality and compatability of the Ricoh codes is quite good usually, but the lifespan of Ritek with Ricoh code can vary quite a bit. Ricoh's own brand with ricoh code seem to be more stable though (not that we GET them in North America much).
PRODISC = Prodisc Media (Taiwan) = (-R)(+R)
*REALLY MISLEADING!!!!! Prodisc has about a dozen 8x and 16x DVD-R and DVD+R media codes that you could end up with. Each code means the disc has different properties, and performs differently on different drives, and none of the media has a very good lifespan. Also, Prodisc's bonding is often quite bad, which may be part of the cause of the discs' really poor lifespans. This is NOT recommended media!! Although Prodisc's DVD+R media is generally more compatible then the DVD-R.
RITEK = Ritek (Taiwan) = (+R)(-R)(-RW)(+RW)
*You have to be kidding me right?? Ok, aside from the fact that the average lifespan of a Ritek 8x DVD-R is about a year or maybe 2, their 16x media is still not supported THAT well, and the quality has never been there much either. For RW media, their 4x DVD-RWs and DVD+RWs are ok... but there's a lot that's better out there now. Their 6x DVD-RWs and 8x DVD+RWs need a lot more support before they'll work properly, but they have potential... that's the best I can say about them.
FUJIFILM = Fuji = (-R)(+R)
*???? Umm, DVDs are made by Prodisc mostly, and sometimes Ritek... really nothing special, and NOT very good.
OPTODISC = Optodisc = (-R)
*Almost entirely backwards!.... Optodisc's DVD-Rs are ok, but not great. There is a lot of B Grade media floating out there, which usually has worse bonding then their A Grade. Oddly enough, Optodisc's DVD+Rs are MUCH more compatible and usually have better burn quality then the DVD-Rs... also, Optodisc's DVD-RWs are quite good, and their DVD+RWs aren't that bad either. Optodisc is certainly one of the largest DVDRW and DVD-RAM manufacturers in the world.
INFODISC = Infodisc Media = (+RW)
*Half right, I'd include Infodisc's DVD+R media in there as well. It's pretty good. I was really impressed with their DVD+RWs though. This is probably the closest listing to being accurate in the whole FAQ so far!
Current DVD Burner Suggestion? Stick with Pioneer
Current suggested recordable media?
CD-Rs = Maxell CD-R Pro, Verbatim Datalife+, Falcon Media Pro
DVD
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
5010 posts
2 upvotes
Vancouver B.C.
....continued

3RD CLASS MEDIA
Quality can be very questionable, about 50-80% success rate:
LEADDATA, LD01, LD, LEDA = Lead Data = (-R)(-RW)
*Should be removed I think.... Lead Data hardly makes any of their own code media these days, as far as I can tell. The stuff they make for Sony and others isn't quite as bad as they make it sound through this listing though.
BEALL = Samsung BeAll (Taiwan) = (-R)(+R)
*Half True.... BeAll is actually well made for the most part... but not so well supported. Certainly it doesn't deserve to be listed this low!
MBI = Moser Beaur (India) = (-R)(+R)(+RW)
*VERY WRONG!!!! MBIL can make EXCELLENT quality media, and their DVD+RWs are quite good! The problem is that they make various grades for different brands. But I would NOT consider MBIL as low quality at all!!
MAM-A, MAM-E (USA, Europe) = Mitsui = (-R)
*Not accurate. First of all, MAM-A and MAM-E are COMPLETELY different companies. MAM-A actually has some merit, whereas MAM-E is rather disturbing. MAM-A's gold 4x DVD-Rs are quite good... and so are MAM-A's 8x DVD-Rs. I've never had a problem with either, and this listing is completely unwarrented.
PRINCO, fake TDK = Princo (Taiwan) = (-R)(-RW)
*Can't argue this one... Princo *IS* Crap.
ONIDTECH = Ul Tran Technology (Taiwan) = (-R)
*These guys went under I think, not too surprised
MUST = Unknown OEM = (-R)
*Ok, I can't disagree with this one either
GSC001, GSC002 = Gigastorage (Taiwan) = (-R)(+R)
*I haven't tried enough Gigastorage media to form an opinion... the 3 or 4 pieces I burned were ok, but I need more to try on various drives and circumstances. It's hard to find media anyways.
CMC, CMCMAG = CMC Magnetics (Taiwan) = (+R)
*VERY WRONG!!!! CMCMAGE01 is probably one of the best media codes out there. It's incredibly stable, and unless you get botched media (which I have had happen once), it can burn as well as Taiyo Yuden, and doesn't have a known lifespan problem of any kind. Even CMC's 16x DVD+Rs are not that bad. And CMC DVD-R (both 8x and 16x) are fine too.... I don't know what's up with this. *ALSO* I've tried CMC's 4x DVD-RWs, and they seem to be fine. Finally... don't forget that CMC makes media, sometimes with other codes, for a couple of big brands, Verbatim probably being the biggest.
PHILIPS = Philips (Taiwan) = (+RW)
*Weird.... Philips DVD+RWs always worked well for me... I don't know why this would be listed like this.

4TH CLASS MEDIA
Pathetic garbage media, landfill material, about 0-50% success rate:
CMC, CMCMAG = CMC Magnetics (Taiwan) = (-R)
*WRONG!!! See above listing for CMC
PIODATA, PIO = LeadData/ Ritek (Taiwan) = (-R))(+R)
*Meh... hard to find these days anyways. Probably at least partially true though
OPTODISC = Optodisc (Taiwan) = (+R)(+RW)
*QUITE FALSE, see above listing for Optodisc
LONGTEN = Jilin Qingda ??? (China) = (-R)
*I've seen VERY contrary results to this... but in general I don't have much faith in the LONGTEN code. But it's quite generic, so sometimes plants make media with that code, and the media is good. Other plants only make crap.
YIJHAN = Yi Jhan Technology (Taiwan) = (-R)
*Hard call... you don't see much of it in North America
ALL FAKE MEDIA = mostly InfoSmart (HK), E-Net (UK) and Mitsui (USA,Europe)
*UGH...
Ok... Infosmart WAS crap, no argument. E-Net quality varies a LOT... I've got some good stuff from them, and some bad stuff. It's the full range really. Mitsui in North America never abused media codes. They had permission for every code they used. It was only MAM-E (Mitsui Europe) that abused codes, and yeah I think they had problems.

AN31, AN32, ANWELL, AN30 = "default" stamper code (usually Infosmart) = (-R)
*Can't completely argue... although it wasn't made just by Infosmart (I'm not even sure Infosmart made it...). Anwell is a stamper manufacturer I believe, so smaller plants would use this code. Quality could vary, but usually it was low level.
AML = Advance Media Limited (Taiwan) = (-R)
*I've seen some VERY good results with this media... enough to make me think this isn't a fair response neccessarily.
INFOSMART, ISO001 = Infosmart (China) = (-R)(+R)
*Yeah, it's pretty crappy
DAXON = BenQ/Acer (+R)(-R)
*Umm... this media is NOT this bad!! I'd say it's probably better then Prodisc
VANGUARD, VDSPMS = Unknown OEM = (-R)
*yeah, this is deffinately crappy
UME001 = UmeDisc (Hong Kong) = (-R)
*Never shows up really...
WFKA = Wealthfair Investment (China) = (-R)(+R)
*Never shows up really...

Ok... got it straight? Please don't ever make me do that again :evil:
Current DVD Burner Suggestion? Stick with Pioneer
Current suggested recordable media?
CD-Rs = Maxell CD-R Pro, Verbatim Datalife+, Falcon Media Pro
DVD
Deal Expert
Nov 11, 2004
62810 posts
364 upvotes
wow.... thx4da input Dolph! ;)
The Digital Dolphin wrote: Ok... got it straight? Please don't ever make me do that again
can u do that in ur thread again plz? :D :razz: :cheesygri
MJM

Deal Expert
Nov 11, 2004
62810 posts
364 upvotes
The Digital Dolphin wrote: ...

2ND CLASS MEDIA
Decent discs, though not perfect, about 80-95% success rate:
*How does this guy calculate these success rates? Look like he pulled numbers out of the air that sounded good to him...
^ :lol: wtf? :lol: .... :-0
MJM

Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2005
2482 posts
44 upvotes
Toronto
I found the times new roman "Lock - Open" cakebox of 16x +R at Staples and PM'd for $6.80 before taxes. They are in fact MCC 004.
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2003
3787 posts
67 upvotes
bought the last 3 +r spindles in town--will check media code later

thanks to op for the deal

edit: mcc04

this is my first foray into non-ty media, so i've got my fingers crossed, lol

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)