Computers & Electronics

Verbatim blank DVD -/+R ALERT: PROBLEM batch (serial numbers starting MAP6 or PAP6)

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 19th, 2010 2:08 am
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2002
1606 posts
1 upvote
Edmonton. Äl-Berta
good thing that I always stick with the DVD+R since I got my first burner :D

i'm sure this little crisis will be resolved soon :D
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2001
15556 posts
1023 upvotes
The Digital Dolphin wrote: Ok, I don't want to start a major panic about Verbatim media...

I'm going to try to clarify things a little first. This media with the MAP6 code, has been seen causing a lot more problems then usual Verbatim MAPA code discs. This is something that is known, and Verbatim has been made aware of. The reasoning behind it is not clear, and until that is found it can't be solved. In the meantime, the problem seems to be mainly compatability issues, and inconsistant ones at that. So if it doesn't burn on one drive, it might burn perfectly on another.

At this point, I would say sticking with DVD+R from Verbatim might be a good idea, since I don't know of any affected DVD+Rs. But if you really like DVD-R, it's probably mostly going to be ok.

But I can assure you that I *AM* working on this one, and I'm not the only one. Also remember that Verbatim has a very good warranty service, and faulty media *WILL* be replaced. (you pay shipping one way, and they give you extra media in return).
But will they be doing a recall of the MAP6 media and if not why not?

I must say I wouldn't be too happy with the me paying shipping one way since they know this media is defective and they're still allowing it to be sold considering the MAP6 I have is a 100 pack (from when Staples had them on sale for $20 about a year ago) and I'm not sure they'd send me enough media in return for what it'd cost to send a package that heavy (or if I'd be sent another batch of MAP6 media).

Thank goodness my Panasonic DMR-E50 seems to be able to handle them fine so this is just me musing and not being ticked off aside from the principle of the matter.
Should we have open retail markets to bring more UK and US retailers to Canada?wegmans-tops-trader-joes-americas-favou ... #p27788812
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
5010 posts
2 upvotes
Vancouver B.C.
NG wrote: But will they be doing a recall of the MAP6 media and if not why not?

I must say I wouldn't be too happy with the me paying shipping one way since they know this media is defective and they're still allowing it to be sold considering the MAP6 I have is a 100 pack (from when Staples had them on sale for $20 about a year ago) and I'm not sure they'd send me enough media in return for what it'd cost to send a package that heavy (or if I'd be sent another batch of MAP6 media).

Thank goodness my Panasonic DMR-E50 seems to be able to handle them fine so this is just me musing and not being ticked off aside from the principle of the matter.
Without knowing what the problem is and the extent of the compatability issues there will DEFFINATELY be no recall. Maxell didn't recall their RITEKG05 when it was highly defective, TDK doesn't recall the sh*t they call media selling at Costco, Memorex doesn't recall their media either. And all of these are much MUCH worse then the problems currently going on with the media with this serial number (at least based on the number of reported complaints I've seen).

Honestly, Verbatim is one of the smallest offenders in this sense, if not the smallest. But I don't know ANY media brand or manufacturer that hasn't knowingly sold problamatic media at some point. But most of the time people don't complain, so nothing is done to change things!
Current DVD Burner Suggestion? Stick with Pioneer
Current suggested recordable media?
CD-Rs = Maxell CD-R Pro, Verbatim Datalife+, Falcon Media Pro
DVD
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
5010 posts
2 upvotes
Vancouver B.C.
Just an FYI, I now have samples of both very bad MAP6 Verbatim 16x DVD-Rs and (so far) perfectly fine MAP6 16x DVD-Rs.
DVD
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2005
1397 posts
17 upvotes
Markham
haha i hope they aren't in the 25 packs i got from the source.....i still have yet to work my way through those but i've used 3 25 packs and nothing bad on me yet
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
5010 posts
2 upvotes
Vancouver B.C.
mok86 wrote: haha i hope they aren't in the 25 packs i got from the source.....i still have yet to work my way through those but i've used 3 25 packs and nothing bad on me yet
The 25pks I got from the source were fine... so far. I have a 50pk of shiny silver that doesn't seem to burn in anything yet though. I need to run it through more burners still before I make a final judgement however.
DVD
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2005
2735 posts
458 upvotes
LonesomeDove wrote: The argument that Verbatims are no good because nobody on the street heard of them is pretty silly. For example, there are a lot of high end stuff in the fashion world that I've never heard of but does that mean they are no good?
Actually, it just means that it is a waste of money :-)
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
8673 posts
5630 upvotes
Toronto
Anyone pick up the Verbatim 50Pk DVD-R 16 they have at Canada Computers?
they were 16.99....that sounds incredibly cheap to me and im just wondering how they work for others

I want to go for Verbatims....i dont really buy this posters story about them being FAULTY based on his own experience when Verbatim is regarded so highly from others elsewhere.
Deal Expert
Nov 11, 2004
62810 posts
364 upvotes
Jon Lai wrote: ?
perfectly fine ;)
MJM
- MJ = mahjong - a chinese game involving LOTS of strategy/skills and the smarts to win!
- M = maniac - just simply CRAZY about this game... i'd play it 24/7 if i had the time!

"I'll be here... I'll be 'waiting'... here... I'll be waiting... for you... so if you come here... you'll find me... I promise..." - FF VIII - FAN of the FF series ever since the beginning.

PEPSI IPOD WINNER on xmas.... what a SWEET christmas present!
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
5010 posts
2 upvotes
Vancouver B.C.
I went back and checked my notes on some things, and the Nexxtech MCC 03RG20 from RadioShack/The Source @ Circuit City, as well as the TDK 16x DVD-R's that I got from Costco (that do NOT work at all) both have the MAP6 serial number system from CMC. The Nexxtech ones work ok though.
DVD
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 28, 2005
6044 posts
22 upvotes
Toronto
ReeGee wrote: i dont really buy this posters story about them being FAULTY based on his own experience when Verbatim is regarded so highly from others elsewhere.
If you care to read just a couple (not even all or most) of more USEFUL posts in this thread, you will know that it's a FACT that these Verbatim blank DVD-R's with serial number starting MAP6 are "causing a lot more problems", and it is "something that is known, and Verbatim has been made aware of".

I know it's hard to filter out the babble without a clear mind.
Dec 18, 2004
472 posts
11 upvotes
The Digital Dolphin wrote: I went back and checked my notes on some things, and the Nexxtech MCC 03RG20 from RadioShack/The Source @ Circuit City, as well as the TDK 16x DVD-R's that I got from Costco (that do NOT work at all) both have the MAP6 serial number system from CMC. The Nexxtech ones work ok though.
I can 2nd that the TDK's from costco don't work AT ALL. 12 discs burnt -> 12 coasters > :(
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2004
2635 posts
264 upvotes
well i guess buying dvds is useless now. all dvds suck. they will degrade after some time anyway, so why waste ur time. lets all go back to carving out stuff in stone.

btw TL, if u do some googling, u'll find that global warming is happening and is directly related to human activity. while if u do some more googling, u'll find that global warming is not directly related to human activity and is happening naturally. so which one should i believe?

my point is, there will always be two sides to a topic. some will be on one side, some on the other. because i am sure if i do some googling, i can find u a lot more positive reviews on this media than negative. so again, which one should i believe?
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
46086 posts
6576 upvotes
Richmond Hill
smuncky wrote: well i guess buying dvds is useless now. all dvds suck. they will degrade after some time anyway, so why waste ur time. lets all go back to carving out stuff in stone.

btw TL, if u do some googling, u'll find that global warming is happening and is directly related to human activity. while if u do some more googling, u'll find that global warming is not directly related to human activity and is happening naturally. so which one should i believe?

my point is, there will always be two sides to a topic. some will be on one side, some on the other. because i am sure if i do some googling, i can find u a lot more positive reviews on this media than negative. so again, which one should i believe?
Very good point. No wonder this thread has a 1 star rating. :lol: :lol:
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2004
1657 posts
576 upvotes
Oakville
And there are whole websites dedicated to listing the compatibility of the different CD and DVD media codes with the different equipment (readers, burners, standalone players).

Every media code ever listed on any these sites is incompatible with a least one piece of equipment and compatible with at one piece of equipment.

This thread still remains relatively useless.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 28, 2005
6044 posts
22 upvotes
Toronto
smuncky wrote: if u do some googling, u'll find that global warming is happening and is directly related to human activity. while if u do some more googling, u'll find that global warming is not directly related to human activity and is happening naturally. so which one should i believe?
Can't help you there, if you don't even know how to use Google.

Of course you don't just trust some amateurs who don't even know about this MAP6/PAP6 problem which have been well discussed among industry insiders.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)