Computers & Electronics

Verbatim blank DVD -/+R ALERT: PROBLEM batch (serial numbers starting MAP6 or PAP6)

  • Last Updated:
  • Mar 19th, 2010 2:08 am
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 13, 2004
2635 posts
264 upvotes
teknoluv wrote: Can't help you there, if you don't even know how to use Google.

Of course you don't just trust some amateurs who don't even know about this MAP6/PAP6 problem which have been well discussed among industry insiders.


wow. only one word can describe this post.....ziiiinnnnnngg
Deal Fanatic
Sep 30, 2003
7452 posts
880 upvotes
teknoluv wrote: If you care to read just a couple (not even all or most) of more USEFUL posts in this thread, you will know that it's a FACT that these Verbatim blank DVD-R's with serial number starting MAP6 are "causing a lot more problems", and it is "something that is known, and Verbatim has been made aware of".

I know it's hard to filter out the babble without a clear mind.
You appread to have filtered it quite well, ignoring the pages of people saying it may be a compatibility issue with your particular burner, and blaming it solely on the discs, when in fact it was a combination of the two. Only when DD weighed in did you take his opinion. This is still a useless thread, and you've largely beat it to death. Nobody cares anymore, so drop it.
My nick doesn't mean I'm happy any more than yours means you're a sex machine.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
5010 posts
2 upvotes
Vancouver B.C.
Happy13178 wrote: You appread to have filtered it quite well, ignoring the pages of people saying it may be a compatibility issue with your particular burner, and blaming it solely on the discs, when in fact it was a combination of the two. Only when DD weighed in did you take his opinion. This is still a useless thread, and you've largely beat it to death. Nobody cares anymore, so drop it.
It might have helped that I was the only person who didn't jump down his throat immediately and insult him, not to mention actually take his issue seriously and look into it.

Making assumptions on things, especially when the main backup for it is brand reputation, is NEVER a good thing. When I got into this industry, I caused a HUGE uproar because I claimed that CMC CD-Rs could be good. Back in the day, CMC had the worst possible reputation, and I was flamed left right and centre. It wasn't until a friendly fellow named RJW came around, and arranged to professionally TEST the discs I claimed were good, that people finally backed down. The testing was done, and the CD-Rs made by CMC I provided actually beat some Taiyo Yuden discs in the final analysis, although did not come out #1 in the end, but they DID proove that they were good. Followup tests showed that the media continued to perform well, even after other discs had failed.

So just because someone says something that goes against popular opinion, doesn't mean it's neccessarily wrong. Teknoluv had a bad experience, and it shifted his view of Verbatim quite strongly. He used some pretty strong language to describe it, but we are all allowed to voice our feelings and opinions on things I think.

But really, I think it's time to let this thread go...
Current DVD Burner Suggestion? Stick with Pioneer
Current suggested recordable media?
CD-Rs = Maxell CD-R Pro, Verbatim Datalife+, Falcon Media Pro
DVD
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
46086 posts
6576 upvotes
Richmond Hill
The Digital Dolphin wrote: It might have helped that I was the only person who didn't jump down his throat immediately and insult him, not to mention actually take his issue seriously and look into it.
Yes, some people did insult him and used inappropriate language, but most of us suggested it might have been his burner - I don't see why such an obvious cause could be neglected and ruled out just because the OP said so. The fact that he ruled it out and bascially said "you're stupid for suggesting such an idea" is what ticked most of us off.

And yes, this thread should be closed. 90% of what's mentioned here is incorrect anyways (on the OP's part, that is).
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Nov 28, 2005
6044 posts
22 upvotes
Toronto
The Digital Dolphin wrote: It might have helped that I was the only person who didn't jump down his throat immediately and insult him, not to mention actually take his issue seriously and look into it.
...
So just because someone says something that goes against popular opinion, doesn't mean it's neccessarily wrong. Teknoluv had a bad experience, and it shifted his view of Verbatim quite strongly. He used some pretty strong language to describe it, but we are all allowed to voice our feelings and opinions on things I think.
Hey man, the way you deal with this thread really earns my respect. :thumbs up:
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Nov 28, 2005
6044 posts
22 upvotes
Toronto
Jon Lai wrote: Yes, some people did insult him and used inappropriate language ...
And some people still don't understand why I didn't even bother to respond to their posts: it's NOT about whether the Digital Dolphin is more reputable, I simply don't respond to rude posts.

And of course some people want to have this thread closed, BECAUSE it makes them look stupid.

Again, as a courtesy to the Digital Dolphin, I'd let this go; but some people really have to learn their lessons well. After all, we now know FOR SURE that Verbatim did make some problem MAP6 DVD-R discs.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 30, 2003
7452 posts
880 upvotes
teknoluv wrote: Hey man, the way you deal with this thread really earns my respect. :thumbs up:
I have to wonder if you'd be saying that if he disagreed with you, given the tone of your posts in here.
teknoluv wrote: And of course some people want to have this thread closed, BECAUSE it makes them look stupid.
Yeah, I'm sure there's lots of people who want it locked for that exact reason. Lets recap.

You claim that burning on the wrong kind of disc threatened to destroy your recorder. You accused posters of first being employees and defending "Too vigorously" and then of having an "implicit agenda". Finally, you claimed that other posters were in fact a single person posting under several account names.

I'm certain some people are worried about looking stupid. I'm also certain some people couldn't care less if they do. Guess which is which.

In before lock, and continuing conspiracy theories from children.
My nick doesn't mean I'm happy any more than yours means you're a sex machine.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Nov 28, 2005
6044 posts
22 upvotes
Toronto
Happy13178 wrote: In before lock.
Oh, damn it. I should have known that some people have been intentionally tricking me into a fight all along in order to make this thread look useless AND THEN closed by the mods. But I'm glad that the message is out: this MAP6/PAP6 problem is now known by many RFDers.

Again, I'm not here to make enemies; HOWEVER, I'm not here to make friends either: I'm here for hot deals. I just hope that by sharing my stupidity of listening to some expert wannabes here, less people would have the same bad experience like me (thinking of getting a hot deal but wasted money on some faulty products instead). I frankly was not aware that SO MANY people bet their so-called "reputation" on bragging Verbatim blank media though.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Oct 14, 2003
14325 posts
1201 upvotes
teknoluv wrote: Again, I'm not here to make enemies; HOWEVER, I'm not here to make friends either: I'm here for hot deals. I just hope that by sharing my stupidity of listening to some expert wannabes here, less people would have the same bad experience like me (thinking of getting a hot deal but wasted money on some faulty products instead). I frankly was not aware that SO MANY people bet their so-called "reputation" on bragging Verbatim blank media though.
See, this is you're problem, you just keep insulting anybody who has ever said Verbatim is a good product, and blaming them for your problem. Because you had one bad experience with a faulty batch, that nobody could have known about, you are blaming them. It's not their fault, even the best products sometimes have a bad apple. They gave advice that under normal circumstances would be good, trying to help, and now you are faulting them for it, thats a great attitude.
Science
is the new
rock 'n'
roll.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Dec 14, 2005
18176 posts
345 upvotes
Richmond
teknoluv wrote: And some people still don't understand why I didn't even bother to respond to their posts: it's NOT about whether the Digital Dolphin is more reputable, I simply don't respond to rude posts.

Very funny!

"The pot calling the kettle black", eh?! :lol: :lol:
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Mar 1, 2005
5846 posts
3488 upvotes
Toronto
nsx wrote: Very funny!

"The pot calling the kettle black", eh?! :lol: :lol:
yes it is on both sides.

the op starts a generalized statment about how bad verbatim is without any real knowledge of the issue at hand; even calling them "so called exports"...then feeling vindicated after dd finds out that the issue is due to a bad batch from a certain production line.

sure some members were too harsh on the op but if the op didn't just come out and make such a generalized statement this whole situation could/may have been avioded.
:arrowd: B/S/T Threads :arrowd:
[FS] N/A
[WTB] N/A
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
46086 posts
6576 upvotes
Richmond Hill
teknoluv wrote: And some people still don't understand why I didn't even bother to respond to their posts: it's NOT about whether the Digital Dolphin is more reputable, I simply don't respond to rude posts.

And of course some people want to have this thread closed, BECAUSE it makes them look stupid.

Again, as a courtesy to the Digital Dolphin, I'd let this go; but some people really have to learn their lessons well. After all, we now know FOR SURE that Verbatim did make some problem MAP6 DVD-R discs.
You still dont' understand. Let me make it more clear.

Until the Dolphin stepped in, nobody had an idea that there was a bad batch of the Verbatims, which were normally great quality disks and had a reputation behind them. For such reasons, people SUGGESTED that it could've been firmware, or your dvd burner. You NEGLECTED and DENIED the possibilities given WITHOUT any reason whatsoever, you simply said, nope, nope, nope.

People were annoyed that you ignored their suggestions and advice, which were all perfectly reasonable.

And of course, I wouldnt' even get to your stupid comment about a poorly bonded disk or a disk with poor dye can ruin your burner.
Newbie
Apr 9, 2007
1 posts
How can I tell what the serial number is for my 100 spindle of Verbatim DVD-Rs if the packaging (wrapper) is long gone? By the way, I'm having problems with these DVD's; I'm experiencing video break-up during playback. :evil:
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
5010 posts
2 upvotes
Vancouver B.C.
dmielhausen wrote: How can I tell what the serial number is for my 100 spindle of Verbatim DVD-Rs if the packaging (wrapper) is long gone? By the way, I'm having problems with these DVD's; I'm experiencing video break-up during playback. :evil:
It's printed on each physical disc, in the plastic centre hub.
Current DVD Burner Suggestion? Stick with Pioneer
Current suggested recordable media?
CD-Rs = Maxell CD-R Pro, Verbatim Datalife+, Falcon Media Pro
DVD
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 22, 2003
1269 posts
416 upvotes
does this apply to Single layers only?


I just opened my 20 pack 8.5GB +R DL from futureshop i bought in jan/feb and burned ~6/7 backups

and when i put them in, I can hear the laser having trouble starting the discs
if i put older discs in they seem to boot up normally, with no weird noises and about ~6 seconds faster


also i notice the colour of the discs are different, the olderones are more pink wheras the new ones are more purple

serials of 2, of the bad discs were
PV6Y45LG34246C2
PV6Y45LG3176627

..
i bought 4 spindles at the same time so im worried i have 80 usless discs

burned with a Pioneer-111D fw 1.26 thats bruned less than 50 discs in its lifetime
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
5010 posts
2 upvotes
Vancouver B.C.
JustinZ wrote: does this apply to Single layers only?


I just opened my 20 pack 8.5GB +R DL from futureshop i bought in jan/feb and burned ~6/7 backups

and when i put them in, I can hear the laser having trouble starting the discs
if i put older discs in they seem to boot up normally, with no weird noises and about ~6 seconds faster


also i notice the colour of the discs are different, the olderones are more pink wheras the new ones are more purple

serials of 2, of the bad discs were
PV6Y45LG34246C2
PV6Y45LG3176627

..
i bought 4 spindles at the same time so im worried i have 80 usless discs

burned with a Pioneer-111D fw 1.26 thats bruned less than 50 discs in its lifetime
The problem with the discs discussed in this thread is related to CMC production only. So far, DVD+RDL from Verbatim has ONLY been made in their Singapore plant, so if you are having a problem, then it's unrelated. CMC is not authorized to make DVD+RDL for Verbatim even (although MBIL is!).

What speed did you burn those DVD+RDL's at??
Current DVD Burner Suggestion? Stick with Pioneer
Current suggested recordable media?
CD-Rs = Maxell CD-R Pro, Verbatim Datalife+, Falcon Media Pro
DVD
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 22, 2003
1269 posts
416 upvotes
The Digital Dolphin wrote: The problem with the discs discussed in this thread is related to CMC production only. So far, DVD+RDL from Verbatim has ONLY been made in their Singapore plant, so if you are having a problem, then it's unrelated. CMC is not authorized to make DVD+RDL for Verbatim even (although MBIL is!).

What speed did you burn those DVD+RDL's at??
2.4x

im going to buy a 10 pack from canada computers to see if i get the same results :(
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
5010 posts
2 upvotes
Vancouver B.C.
JustinZ wrote: 2.4x

im going to buy a 10 pack from canada computers to see if i get the same results :(
That's odd... the Pioneer DVR-111D is probably the best DVD+RDL burner on the market, and it works VERY well with Verbatim DVD+RDLs.

If the problem impedes playback, I recommend contacting Verbatim for replacements.
Current DVD Burner Suggestion? Stick with Pioneer
Current suggested recordable media?
CD-Rs = Maxell CD-R Pro, Verbatim Datalife+, Falcon Media Pro
DVD
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 22, 2003
1269 posts
416 upvotes
The Digital Dolphin wrote: That's odd... the Pioneer DVR-111D is probably the best DVD+RDL burner on the market, and it works VERY well with Verbatim DVD+RDLs.

If the problem impedes playback, I recommend contacting Verbatim for replacements.
sigh

got a power calibration error on my 111D
so the problem is probably the burner

arg - bought it in jan, and its already broken
gonna be hard to find a new one since theyre in short supply nowadays

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)