Fashion & Beauty

Verify the authenticity of my Ray-Bans :)

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 23rd, 2011 1:13 pm
[OP]
Mar 19, 2010
475 posts
23 upvotes

Verify the authenticity of my Ray-Bans :)

Hi Guys,

This is in regards to a BST thread I posted advertising my Ray-Bans RB3299. You can view that thread here.

Thanks to Evi7sh for pointing out that unbeknownst to me that my Ray-Bans may be fake, although he initially did it in a very rude manner. I hope that people do not automatically assume that I had known the fact (if indeed they are fake), and that I was trying to commit fraud as the one personal message I received seemed to convey. I understand that these members are only trying to improve RFD and I agree with their intentions but only when done reasonably.

EDIT: (Case closed -- Ray-Ban's has been verified as authentic -- please prefer to the posts below for details)

Points to note:
Replica/Fake:
-Evi7sh identified that the stitching on the authentic cases are inconsistent with mine. (Edit: Authentic Cases from 2006 have this stitching; refer to posts below)
-Model name is missing on my glasses. (only model # is present) - (Edit: This model doesn't have model name; refer to posts below)
Authentic/Real:
-There is double engraving in bold on the pinchers which seem to indicate it is real.
-I have a authentic printed receipt matching the model # of the Ray-Bans.
-Made in Ray Ban made in Italy CE on the inside right leg. (UdeGarami of Sherdog Forums)
-Ray-Ban painted white on the Right Lens (Again won't come off easily) [UdeGarami of Sherdog Forums]

Are there any other points to note? (please see the old photos + new photos.) And are the points noted correct? (that is -- must it mean that without a model name on the glasses indicate that it is fake?)

I hope this thread will serve to improve the ability to authenticate Ray-Bans. I understand there are other threads on this but I feel my case may be an anomaly.

Lastly, I like to add that I am open to the possibility (Benefit of the doubt) of them being fake, but that would mean that, although highly unlikely, I was fooled by the dealer. I would certainly not waste my precious time committing fraud to 'earn a few bucks'. I find it almost personal and a detriment to my ego (due to the personal attacks) if I do not 'plead' my case.

I have sold a few items through RFD and hope to continue to do so in the future.

[IMG]http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/3451/dsc0527z.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/7775/dsc0515o.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/8065/dsc0519nv.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/8157/dsc0520p.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img846.imageshack.us/img846/3690/dsc0521h.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img827.imageshack.us/img827/3346/dsc0526o.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/9730/dsc0513fj.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/1857/dsc0518br.jpg[/IMG]

Click here for the High-Resolution image to the last photo (to see more clearly)
23 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 19, 2010
2054 posts
283 upvotes
Onterrible
how much did you pay?
aren't you in toronto? What price are you in.

You obviously got scammed. those are fake.

this explains it all...
ray-ban-sunglasses-rb3299-perfect-condi ... st13490427

also, my ray bans have an etched "RB" on the other lens.
Check out my >>Blog<< to learn how to get CashBack from Shopping Online! (Almost EVERY online retailer)
[OP]
Mar 19, 2010
475 posts
23 upvotes
This was exactly what I was wanting to discuss; to have a second opinion. As I mentioned (and even linked to), Evi7sh's post is very helpful but its points of identification are a bit inconsistent with regards to my RBs. That is -- the stitching seems to say that the case is areplica whilst the pinchers on the nose do indeed have the authentic double etching.

DeathRazR wrote: isnt Mong Kok known for fake goods?
Yes, that is certainly true. But it is also known very well for its authentic goods. Those who are familiar with Hong Kong should think the same. The replicas can only be bought in stalls on the street whilst replicas/fakes cannot be bought at a registered store. In fact it is illegal and the Hong Kong government manages that very well.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 20, 2006
5886 posts
40 upvotes
you paid SOOO much for those. looking at the case, the button doesn't have ray ban on them..

i has authentic wayfarers

i also have polarized lens, and it should say 'Ray-Ban P' on the lens if so.
Deal Guru
Apr 23, 2007
10141 posts
1397 upvotes
Mississauga
$1000 for sunglasses?!

WTF!
RFD 43-0-0
Ebay 37-0-0
|Dance.Flirt.Music.Chill|
Oct 26, 2009
418 posts
15 upvotes
XxXSnake23XxX wrote: $1000 for sunglasses?!

WTF!

Probably Quoted in HKD which know roughly translates to 110-120 CDN
Deal Expert
Oct 16, 2001
76501 posts
1579 upvotes
I bought a pair of Ray Bans at Liquidation world for .75 cents. Look just like those. I dont have the case though.

Side by side, I wouldnt be able to tell the difference.

And I only bought them because they looked good when I put them on. if they looked like crap, I would of put them back, Ray bans or not.
Banned
Sep 22, 2008
8322 posts
548 upvotes
if you look at the address on the bill the shop is in hong kong and obviously it is quoted in hkd.

but if you bought them at a reputable shop you should not be worried about it being fake.

remember it was purchased in 2006. :)

why didn't you just call
Luxottica HK Ltd
Tower 1 Millennium City
Tel: 2267 1191 and ask them if the place you purchased the sunglasses from is one of their dealers?

:)
[OP]
Mar 19, 2010
475 posts
23 upvotes
The dealer (HK Optical) is a reputable chain store and has been in business for a long time. This is their website: http://www.hkoptical.com.hk/

They hold the QTSA certification meaning they only sell genuine products. See here.

This means the receipt does refer to an authentic product but for some reason unattainable to me in the present, some feel that they must challenge the authenticity of the Ray-Bans in my BST thread. Their reasons may be good, bad, sufficient or non-sufficient; for which the discussion is the purpose of this thread. One even stipulated that if both the receipt and dealer is authentic, then the item in the receipt does not refer to the ones I am holding, as they are clearly fake. But what I don't understand is how a person, that does not represent Ray-Bans, can hold such infallible knowledge about their product designs. For instance, just because I take some scenic pictures of France and refer to them as being taken in Japan, doesn't make it so; however experienced I may be with photographic geography, there cannot be infallibility; one could always be mistaken. But in our case, verification can come from the creators, that is -- a Ray-Ban designer, or at least a Ray-Ban representative. This is a 2006 model and I doubt that there are many collectors who are familiar enough such that they know everything about a certain product in that year, especially one that is sold in a different country.

And so I ask: how could one guy on the internet, who perhaps collects Ray-Bans as a hobby, immediately say that an item is fake? -- especially when his evidence are not entirely consistent with his/her conclusion. Could it be that they are mistaken?

My frustration comes precisely from the fact that I sincerely believe that my Ray-Bans are genuine yet others unreasonably assume that I am a scammer and treat me rudely. One that acted differently was 'packardbell', for that I thank you for your suggestion. That was the most helpful comment yet. I shall call them during office hours, even though the QTSA certification is sufficient to establishing the fact that they are dealers.
Banned
Sep 22, 2008
8322 posts
548 upvotes
klp2332 wrote: The dealer (HK Optical) is a reputable chain store and has been in business for a long time. This is their website: http://www.hkoptical.com.hk/

They hold the QTSA certification meaning they only sell genuine products. See here.

This means the receipt does refer to an authentic product but for some reason unattainable to me in the present, some feel that they must challenge the authenticity of the Ray-Bans in my BST thread. Their reasons may be good, bad, sufficient or non-sufficient; for which the discussion is the purpose of this thread. One even stipulated that if both the receipt and dealer is authentic, then the item in the receipt does not refer to the ones I am holding, as they are clearly fake. But what I don't understand is how a person, that does not represent Ray-Bans, can hold such infallible knowledge about their product designs. For instance, just because I take some scenic pictures of France and refer to them as being taken in Japan, doesn't make it so; however experienced I may be with photographic geography, there cannot be infallibility; one could always be mistaken. But in our case, verification can come from the creators, that is -- a Ray-Ban designer, or at least a Ray-Ban representative. This is a 2006 model and I doubt that there are many collectors who are familiar enough such that they know everything about a certain product in that year, especially one that is sold in a different country.

And so I ask: how could one guy on the internet, who perhaps collects Ray-Bans as a hobby, immediately say that an item is fake? -- especially when his evidence are not entirely consistent with his/her conclusion. Could it be that they are mistaken?

My frustration comes precisely from the fact that I sincerely believe that my Ray-Bans are genuine yet others unreasonably assume that I am a scammer and treat me rudely. One that acted differently was 'packardbell', for that I thank you for your suggestion. That was the most helpful comment yet. I shall call them during office hours, even though the QTSA certification is sufficient to establishing the fact that they are dealers.
You know everyone talk **** on the internet since it is easy to do. I lived and worked in hong kong many years and I have purchased name brand items too from authorised dealers. People can say that my TAG, Omega or Hugo Boss is fake but that does not bother me since I know they are genuine and authentic. I have brought my TAG to the head office in Causeway bay in to have the luminescent markers replaced without problem. But even though some people said it is fake or replica it does not bother me. There is alot of hate on the internet and you live with it. So don't worry and let those clowns prove your item is fake. ;)

let me dig up my old wayfarerers and clubmasters and see what people say. For sure there is no collectors or people that have knowledge of those models from the 80s. haha
Banned
Jan 11, 2004
19816 posts
566 upvotes
They real if you bought them from the store. I mean brands change their designs of cases and box/stickers all the time, moreover, it could be different depending on the market/region where its sold. Those authenticity guides are just that, but not definitive, they are a small microsopic sample and an "authentic" case in N.America could be different than one in Asia region.
Banned
Jan 11, 2004
19816 posts
566 upvotes
Canuckerr wrote: how much did you pay?
aren't you in toronto? What price are you in.

You obviously got scammed. those are fake.

this explains it all...
ray-ban-sunglasses-rb3299-perfect-condi ... st13490427

also, my ray bans have an etched "RB" on the other lens.

I just looked at the ray ban's I got which I purchased from sunglass hut at walden galleria... my case has the extra stiching and the button doesn't say Ray Ban on it which by that post is fake. But mine are not.

It seems it's an overzealous and uninformed poster who cried wolf.
[OP]
Mar 19, 2010
475 posts
23 upvotes
gilboman wrote: It seems it's an overzealous and uninformed poster who cried wolf.

I completely agree.
Deal Addict
Mar 19, 2010
2054 posts
283 upvotes
Onterrible
There is a mall in Vancouver called Metrotown (actually in Burnaby, right next to vancouver) named boys co and they were caught selling fake jeans.
I'm not sure if they were scammed and someone sold them fake jeans to sell or they knowingly sold fake jeans.. But, it is common for reputable stores to be selling fakes. Whether, they know of it or not.
Check out my >>Blog<< to learn how to get CashBack from Shopping Online! (Almost EVERY online retailer)
Banned
Sep 22, 2008
8322 posts
548 upvotes
my ray bans are made by baush and lomb so they must be fake. lol! :lol:
Banned
Apr 15, 2011
6976 posts
45 upvotes
GVRD
packardbell wrote: my ray bans are made by baush and lomb so they must be fake. lol! :lol:

So are my Ray Bans. They are real and spectacular and also for sale! :)
"I don't think conflict is a bad thing ... As long as you handle it as men." - John Tortorella

2013 RFD NHL Playoffs Pool CHAMPION #CONFIRMED
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2009
1329 posts
598 upvotes
Toronto
packardbell wrote: You know everyone talk **** on the internet since it is easy to do. I lived and worked in hong kong many years and I have purchased name brand items too from authorised dealers. People can say that my TAG, Omega or Hugo Boss is fake but that does not bother me since I know they are genuine and authentic. I have brought my TAG to the head office in Causeway bay in to have the luminescent markers replaced without problem. But even though some people said it is fake or replica it does not bother me. There is alot of hate on the internet and you live with it. So don't worry and let those clowns prove your item is fake. ;)

let me dig up my old wayfarerers and clubmasters and see what people say. For sure there is no collectors or people that have knowledge of those models from the 80s. haha

The purpose of buying is to acheive his/her satisfaction (usage+happy feeling). In your case, you ain't bothered by being told using fakes and you are satisfied with them; you reach your satisfaction. Others don't want to be a fool, they really want to know what they are paying for, and this is very normal.

"There is alot of hate on the internet and you live with it" yes this right, but I dont know what are you talking about :o ???? Who hates who in this case??? I assume that when some one use his/her knowledge to help buyers (or you) to identify the issue, those are the clowns and because they hate you and because you are very smart, superior and helful??? correct me if I'm wrong.

About me, I'm not smart but I dont want to be a fool.
Banned
Sep 22, 2008
8322 posts
548 upvotes
VCR wrote: So are my Ray Bans. They are real and spectacular and also for sale! :)

and mines does not have the button on the case that says ray ban on it as well.

:facepalm: :arrowd:

like some one said there is many models produced for various markets and regions of the world. so you cannot use what you see in the north american market and apply it across the world. RB switched manufacturers as well so what is real and what is fake?

If the buyers feel it is fake what you are selling then they should buy it from an authorised shop. I have always bought my items from the shops and not need to look back after your purchase.