Real Estate

[Very Hot] Smooth Rock Falls Ontario Land Deal $500!!

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 25th, 2017 8:14 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2011
2261 posts
1351 upvotes
Toronto

[Very Hot] Smooth Rock Falls Ontario Land Deal $500!!

This maybe of interest to someone here. Wish i had a big enough capital to start up there.

Officials in Smooth Rock Falls, Ont., recently launched a campaign to woo newcomers to the area and help rebuild a town that had been in a financial tailspin since the closure of a local pulp and paper mill.

As part of the campaign, the municipal government put 15 parcels of town land up for sale and offered prospective buyers rebates of up to 90 per cent, resulting in some lots being available for as little as $500.

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/201 ... omers.html
Up votes, down votes, they're all votes for me! I thank you!
32 replies
Mar 28, 2011
132 posts
64 upvotes
Oakville
Great deal.
they already have gas station and LCBO.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2006
2721 posts
271 upvotes
Toronto
location, location, location !!!!

That place requires SOMEONE to pay me $2500 a month to live there
Kijiji links aren't permitted in signatures. Only links to our BST forum.
Mar 22, 2013
741 posts
1060 upvotes
Toronto
And a developer bought up the entire first batch and is going to place fabricated homes for $150-$200k there.

Why would the city even allow that?

And of course, they’ve been getting calls from China.

But it doesn’t really matter, as a plot of land costs what my storage locker downtown costs. If you wanna live there, I doubt a few K is gonna matter.

Smart town though.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2005
1252 posts
360 upvotes
Toronto
Interesting plan. Hope it works out for the town. But 8 hours from Toronto. For that reason, I'm out.
=============
Heatware
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2010
1693 posts
693 upvotes
Ontario
Pretty well every town in northern Ontario is on the verge of having to burn the furniture to keep the house warm. Decades of rosy 'prosperity for the north' plans of action by the ruling gov'ts ring hollow, as the votes aren't up there. It's time for the north to separate.
Aug 14, 2009
174 posts
61 upvotes
What a sh*t hole. That place smelled for years and years. You couldn't pay me to live there.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 24, 2004
6477 posts
1319 upvotes
Toronto (Central)
1hr from Timmins is the strongest asset I see them having - and that's not saying anything.
Jun 29, 2009
23 posts
11 upvotes
CANADA
The 'catch' probably is the property taxes. In the north property taxes are through the roof! House valued at $400K probably pays $6K a year. Irks me to see the G&M real estate section on Fridays that homes in GTA valued at over $1.5M paying less than the $400K property in the north.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2009
7847 posts
4802 upvotes
johnsmithy wrote:
Nov 19th, 2017 7:34 am
Interesting plan. Hope it works out for the town. But 8 hours from Toronto. For that reason, I'm out.
Thanks sharks but imma gonna make it and I'm gonna prove to you all *pause to wipe tear off face* ... prove to you all that you made a mistake!
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
15898 posts
5162 upvotes
The question nobody asks, where are the jobs?
Living for cheap is great but without an income or a trust fund what do you buy food, energy and everything else with?
All spirits are enslaved that serve things evil
Mar 22, 2013
741 posts
1060 upvotes
Toronto
pinegirl wrote:
Nov 19th, 2017 10:53 am
The 'catch' probably is the property taxes. In the north property taxes are through the roof! House valued at $400K probably pays $6K a year. Irks me to see the G&M real estate section on Fridays that homes in GTA valued at over $1.5M paying less than the $400K property in the north.
I can see why you’d think that, but there’s an issue of scale. There are way more houses and condos that can get taxed to support the municipalities in Toronto and the GTA. Also, the delivery of services is much cheaper when everyone is packed in so close.

So yeah, taxes are going to be higher when there are fewer people to tax. It’s just the math of it. If more people move to the north, taxes should come down.
Aug 22, 2007
763 posts
113 upvotes
Markham
RFD group buy for a plot of land anyone? :)