very small Wasp nest removal

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 5th, 2018 10:46 am
[OP]
Dec 18, 2017
280 posts
39 upvotes

very small Wasp nest removal

I see a very small (smallest lemon size may be) inside the backyard shed & it is just on its wood ceiling in between 2 wood studs.
Anyone has removed this on own or called an expert who charges $65+?
If you have removed yourself, any safety tips/tricks? ;)
17 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
10143 posts
6442 upvotes
Edmonton
https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.wasp ... 66221.html

If it's inside the shed, spray it with the item posted in my link, the close the door and exit the area. Alternatively, wait for winter, then knock it down. You could also (I hear) hang a paper bag in the shed, and it will fool the wasps into thinking there's another nest in the area, which may deter them from rebuilding.

C
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
3370 posts
1086 upvotes
Ottawa
I wouldn't do anything. Are you actually seeing wasps? They die in fall and don't start building new nests now. This may be an abandoned one.
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2010
1064 posts
534 upvotes
ottawa
I agree with OttawaGardener. They'll die off over fall, then you can go in in the colder months to remove it so they don't come back to that nest next year (they're not supposed to but I've had wasps restart in the same spot after a year).

If you do go and try and kill them now, get the spray you can shoot from a distance, and even with that dress up in a lot of clothing. Their stings hurt and they waste 0 time in flying straight at you stingers-out.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
3048 posts
1188 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
If you do go the pesticide route, use the stuff at night when the wasps have all returned to the nest and aren't very active or alert. It gets them all. I sprayed at nest >1' long at ~6' that way.
Almost too cheap to shop through RFD
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2015
4961 posts
1640 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
Have used spray... very useful and sprays quite far. But these were walnut size nests.

Not sure where you are but wonder if your city will help.

We had bee nest in tree and city came and removed... probably because on city property but a call to your city might be option.
Feb 2, 2006
251 posts
28 upvotes
Wasps will be dead this time of year. Put up a fake nest in the area next year to prevent future nests.
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2007
2901 posts
255 upvotes
GTA
If you do decide to use the spray, do so early in the morning as I believe they won't be very active at that time (if they're even there at all). I took care of a small next on my fence over the summer this way and it was a breeze. I sprayed it from about 10 feet away before going to work at 6:30am, then when I got home it was empty and I just pulled it off the fence.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2014
7359 posts
1861 upvotes
Toronto
smartnew wrote: I see a very small (smallest lemon size may be) inside the backyard shed & it is just on its wood ceiling in between 2 wood studs.
Anyone has removed this on own or called an expert who charges $65+?
If you have removed yourself, any safety tips/tricks? ;)
Buy a spray with a residual effect. Spray the nest and around it. They will be dead within hours and then you can remove it.

That or you can wait it out as it gets colder.

If you need to buy a strong spray (in Toronto), I have a great supplier in Scarborough....PM me for address.
Kevin Somnauth, CFA
Principal Broker - First Toronto Mortgage - MA (Ontario #13176, BC #X301007)
Real Estate Salesperson - Century 21 Innovative
President's Club Award Winner At The Mortgage Architects
Feb 2, 2006
251 posts
28 upvotes
JWL wrote: Wasps are still active in my area.
Wow really? That sucks. I live in Alberta and they all died off in early September.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
2166 posts
1218 upvotes
Toronto
Lanella wrote: Wow really? That sucks. I live in Alberta and they all died off in early September.
No, it just means it's still warm where we live ;)
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2008
3282 posts
728 upvotes
Wasps are the reasons why we all need flamethrowers
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2006
2658 posts
1169 upvotes
Spray works great. Wish I had a flamethrower thoughSmiling Face With Sunglasses