• Last Updated:
  • Jun 28th, 2021 1:56 pm
Deal Fanatic
Jan 31, 2007
6371 posts
6733 upvotes
Center of Canada

Very stupid question for GTA area public transit and Presto card

Just don't laugh at me. I haven't use any public transit for 30+ years. Last time I use it was when I was in highschool.

I think with Presto card, it now completely change the fare system / transit rule.
From what I read, it is now 2 hrs any direction. But there are some confusion that I would like to understand.

My question are:
1). Does it mean every time I get on the bus, I have to tap the card, and also tap it when I get off the bus? So there are Presto machine at both door?
2). Similar to bus, if I take subway, I tap the card when get into the station and tap it again when I exit the station?
3). If I start in YRT and going to let say down town. I pay 2 fare. One for YRT, and one for TTC. Correct?
4). Does YRT and VIVA count as one system so is one fare? I kind of remember people told me viva price is based on zone, but I can't find this information on their website. Is that change already?

Thanks
Bright side of RFD: Often find good deal
Dark side of RFD: Tons of stuff that I don't need but still got them because of RFD
1 reply
Deal Fanatic
Mar 30, 2004
5302 posts
2996 upvotes
Durham Region
Every transit agency has their own policy on Transfers, Fares, etc. - even though they all use PRESTO the specific details vary - so check the website of the specific transit agency.

No free transfers between TTC and other agencies.

YRT/Viva is same system, same fare, one zone (they got rid of the second zone a few years ago).

On GO Transit and UP Express, you need tap on and off - for every other transit agency (TTC, YRT), only tap on.