None
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 14, 2009
15168 posts
6179 upvotes

VESA mount - safe with only 2 screws?

Hey guys,

I just mounted my new RCA 55" 4k TV onto my Costco swivel stand. The stand connects to the TV using VESA screws on the back of the TV. My problem is that the TV sits too high, but if I want to lower the TV down, I will only be able to attach the top two screws. Are the top two screws strong enough to support the entire weight of the TV? The way it is now the bottom ones don't even seem to be doing anything. They weren't even able to go in all the way to mount the bracket flush with the TV.

What are your thoughts, guys? The TV is pretty light. I have a feeling it will work and I won't have to strain my neck looking up all the time.
25 replies
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 14, 2009
15168 posts
6179 upvotes
Gee wrote: How deep are the screws?
A little more than a centimetre. I would have to measure one.
Dec 7, 2015
479 posts
104 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Are you attaching the top holes in the TV to the bottom holes on the mount to lower it?

If you only have two attachment points, how do you keep the TV from rotating if it's touched?

Personally, I'd not trust it having only two attachment points. The stand can probably carry the weight (the capacity should be listed), but the thing won't be stable unless at least three points (in a triangle, not a line) are tight.

If the stand isn't right, replace it.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 14, 2009
15168 posts
6179 upvotes
willilumplump wrote: Are you attaching the top holes in the TV to the bottom holes on the mount to lower it?

If you only have two attachment points, how do you keep the TV from rotating if it's touched?

Personally, I'd not trust it having only two attachment points. The stand can probably carry the weight (the capacity should be listed), but the thing won't be stable unless at least three points (in a triangle, not a line) are tight.

If the stand isn't right, replace it.
Basically, yes. I am going to try it tonight. If it does not feel solid I will take it down.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
13016 upvotes
I wouldn't do it <- my legal answer

I actually would.
Locktite it just in case and call it a day.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 14, 2009
15168 posts
6179 upvotes
death_hawk wrote: I wouldn't do it <- my legal answer

I actually would.
Locktite it just in case and call it a day.
What's a locktite?
Deal Fanatic
May 18, 2009
6345 posts
1519 upvotes
Richmond Hill
new RCA tv....what a baller
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
13016 upvotes
SickBeast wrote: What's a locktite?
It's a special "glue" to make sure screws don't come loose.
Since you're using 2/4 mount points it's a little extra security that the screws won't be vibrated loose.
Comes in a few different colors for uses.
I'd use blue in this case since it's meant to be non permanent.
Avoid red because it needs heat to remove.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 14, 2009
15168 posts
6179 upvotes
Thanks for your input, guys! I'm going to try this later tonight. Wish me luck! :)
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2006
1821 posts
543 upvotes
Toronto
If it's not too heavy and it's going into a stud, you're fine. I mounted my old 24" LCD monitor in my home gym using 2 screws (6 holes were provided in total), and I have metal studs down there. It's been hanging just fine, although it's only about 15 lbs.
Also, swivel is better than some huge arm, as it uses less outward force and weight.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
13016 upvotes
Also make sure you don't sue the manufacturer if it fails a la Ikea dresser recall.
Deal Guru
Oct 24, 2012
11543 posts
2542 upvotes
Montreal
Take the maximum weight rating of the mount, divide by two, if it's still more than your TV's weight, you are fine.
If it isn't... you are fine, but you might eventually crack the back of the TV if you tilt or move it a lot (swivel mount).

If it's a flush mount though, you'll be more than fine with 2 screws.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
13016 upvotes
alkizmo wrote: Take the maximum weight rating of the mount, divide by two, if it's still more than your TV's weight, you are fine.
If it isn't... you are fine, but you might eventually crack the back of the TV if you tilt or move it a lot (swivel mount).
Oh this is probably a good idea too.
I had just assumed that OP's TV was newer (and therefore lighter)
So if your TV has some weight to it, this will matter much more.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
28919 posts
9420 upvotes
alkizmo wrote: Take the maximum weight rating of the mount, divide by two, if it's still more than your TV's weight, you are fine.
This. One of the problems is not going to be the stand taking the weight but the screws. When you're not using four screws the screws themselves then have much more load on them. If one of them snaps, the other one will probably go instantly after that (it's likely not going to hold the TV on its own) and the result is the TV comes crashing down. The TV may seem fine when you put it up there but the stress on the fasteners over time may cause them to fail. Threadlocker will certainly prevent the fasteners from backing out, but it won't do anything regarding their physical strength.

There's also the matter of the support in the TV but that's usually a solid metal insert that takes care of all four screw positions. If that's the case I wouldn't worry about that failing; I think the fasteners are the main concern.

Given they are probably giving you the cheapest of the cheap screws with the stand, I'm not sure I'd trust it on just two myself. But surely now that I've said that OP likes to do the 180 of anything I say lol, so good luck.

How heavy is this TV anyway? If it's like 30lbs or something that might be okay but if it's like 60lbs, I would seriously advise against it. You could always try to find heavier duty screws at HD, Rona, Fastenal, etc. as well--see if there's a grade 5 or 8 in the size/thread you need. Whatever you do, don't overtighten the screws either. Overtightening will cause more stress on the fastener and may cause it to fail more easily. Make sure they are tight of course but don't think that "tightening them more" will make up for only using two, it's just going to put more stress on them.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 14, 2009
15168 posts
6179 upvotes
The screws look solid and of high quality to me. I mean, I've pretty much got it on there with only two screws as of right now. The bottom two screws wouldn't go all the way in and they aren't really doing anything. It's been like that for a day now and it's fine. I think I'm just going to take my chances. The neck pain isn't worth it. It's only a $400 TV.
Dec 7, 2015
479 posts
104 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
alkizmo wrote: you might eventually crack the back of the TV if you tilt or move it a lot (swivel mount).
You might also fatigue the screws and have the TV end up on the floor. You'll be putting bending stresses on the screws by trying to hold the thing with a single horizontal line of screws.

Assuming that half the load is a safe limit is not conservative; the loads are not distributed on the screws as simply as some might think. In general, the upper line of screws carries shear and tension, while the lower ones are primarily shear. None carry significant bending. With a single line of screws, you're putting all the loads into fewer screws and subjecting them to bending as well - unless you ensure the TV doesn't get tilted (even bumped while cleaning).

But it's your TV, do what you want.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2007
4685 posts
809 upvotes
Waterloo
SickBeast wrote: The screws look solid and of high quality to me. I mean, I've pretty much got it on there with only two screws as of right now. The bottom two screws wouldn't go all the way in and they aren't really doing anything. It's been like that for a day now and it's fine. I think I'm just going to take my chances. The neck pain isn't worth it. It's only a $400 TV.
when the time comes I'll give you $40 for the TV with the broken screen.