Expired Hot Deals

VIA Rail

VIA Rail: Toronto-Vancouver Sleeper Plus Class From $341 & More Last-Minute Deals

  • Last Updated:
  • Apr 5th, 2012 9:36 am
[OP]
Jr. Member
Nov 27, 2011
198 posts
116 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH

[VIA Rail] VIA Rail: Toronto-Vancouver Sleeper Plus Class From $341 & More Last-Minute Deals

More offers from VIA Rail
9 replies
Deal Expert
User avatar
Sep 19, 2004
25767 posts
7700 upvotes
where I belong
Interesting deal for sure

Long journeys though, e.g.

Toronto, ON - Jasper, AB
April 12, 2012
Departure: 22:00, April 12, 2012
Arrival: 13:00, April 15, 2012
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's Mega Thread of Credit Cards Q&A
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 9, 2005
4416 posts
1884 upvotes
Vulcan, AB
jerryhung wrote: Interesting deal for sure

Long journeys though, e.g.

Toronto, ON - Jasper, AB
April 12, 2012
Departure: 22:00, April 12, 2012
Arrival: 13:00, April 15, 2012


Certainly not for those who want to get there quickly. But for those who would like to see the country while they travel across it, this doesn't seem too shabby. I think one day I'll do this...and then fly back. Because I'm sure I'll be sick of it by the time I get there!
Moderator
User avatar
Sep 21, 2004
11086 posts
6035 upvotes
Calgary
Russell wrote: Certainly not for those who want to get there quickly. But for those who would like to see the country while they travel across it, this doesn't seem too shabby. I think one day I'll do this...and then fly back. Because I'm sure I'll be sick of it by the time I get there!

I did the trip (TO-Edmonton & back) a month ago. Trust me, the food is way better than your average airline food. I was never hungry throughout the trip. In fact, I was stuffed like a pig. Here is the menu for those who interested. http://www.viarail.ca/en/useful-info/on ... eeper-plus

The scenery is nice in Northern Ontario, and I heard it's totally out of the world near Jasper.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jun 7, 2001
7529 posts
1477 upvotes
Alberta
Pretty scenic in the winter between Prince Rupert and Prince George...VIA is about 12 hours long.

BCR route near Whistler was reported to be very scenic....now it's the Rocky Mountaineer. Too pricey for me.

Dave
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 9, 2005
4416 posts
1884 upvotes
Vulcan, AB
b166er1337 wrote: I did the trip (TO-Edmonton & back) a month ago. Trust me, the food is way better than your average airline food. I was never hungry throughout the trip. In fact, I was stuffed like a pig. Here is the menu for those who interested. http://www.viarail.ca/en/useful-info/on ... eeper-plus

The scenery is nice in Northern Ontario, and I heard it's totally out of the world near Jasper.


As far as Jasper goes, been there, done that. Helps to be an Albertan =D. I would like to go on a trip like this to head east and see the other side of the country, however. Thanks for the heads up on the food. Everything I'm seeing sounds like it's an alright ride. Plus they have beer!
Newbie
Feb 23, 2011
67 posts
7 upvotes
They have these deals all the time, so if your looking to travel you should check the site often. I'm taking the toronto - vancouver later this month, its 84 hours but i'd take a train over a plane any day. Good view, good food, no stress like on an airplane, you can walk around, check out the viewing car or you can get crazy drunk at the bar, pass out and arrive at your destination.

Via preference is also a great reward program i'd recommend using if you shop online, its like air miles where you get 1 point for 1 dollar spent. Tickets like Toronto - Vancouver are 4000 points or as low as 540 for rides under 4 hours, they also have 4x point events and 40% sales off redeeming the points. So you can actually spend like $600 at a store and get a free ticket Toronto - Vancouver. Not too shabby since the regular price of the trip is 600. Needless to say I spent $0 for my tickets ;)
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
9822 posts
7631 upvotes
Kootenays
Bring lots of deodorant! I've gone from Halifax to Vancouver by Via rail. People stink by the time they get off. Would it kill Via to have shower rooms in big stations like Winnipeg since you're stuck there 12 hours or so? Give me long distance train service in India any day over Canada. :mad:
Moderator
User avatar
Sep 21, 2004
11086 posts
6035 upvotes
Calgary
smacd wrote: Bring lots of deodorant! I've gone from Halifax to Vancouver by Via rail. People stink by the time they get off. Would it kill Via to have shower rooms in big stations like Winnipeg since you're stuck there 12 hours or so? Give me long distance train service in India any day over Canada. :mad:

There is a shower room in every car (for sleeper class).
Member
Jun 29, 2011
265 posts
84 upvotes
BBQ Haven
DavidY wrote: Pretty scenic in the winter between Prince Rupert and Prince George...VIA is about 12 hours long.

BCR route near Whistler was reported to be very scenic....now it's the Rocky Mountaineer. Too pricey for me.

Dave

It was so short sighted (or was it intentional) that the government at the time would sell the segment that would capture the largest tourist dollars to a private company, depriving more ordinary folks to enjoy the Rockies.

Top