Travel

Via rail trip Montreal central to Ottawa. can I board the train from Dorval station instead?

  • Last Updated:
  • Jun 3rd, 2018 12:36 pm
[OP]
Sr. Member
Oct 28, 2006
955 posts
619 upvotes
Alberta

Via rail trip Montreal central to Ottawa. can I board the train from Dorval station instead?

Hi guys
I have a stupid/noob question. We are visiting Montreal then taking via rail to Ottawa. We booked our train ticket from Montreal central station to Ottawa but it turns out Dorval station is much closer from my buddy's place. So the question is can we board from dorval instead?I know in some other countries you can board train from next station then your original station but not sure about via so figure I ask here.
5 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
22868 posts
21720 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Yup... several of Canada’s major cities include “satellite” stations in their burbs for their Via routes
All of this info BTW, listing which trains during the day start or stop there can be found on the Via Rail Website under
PLAN YOUR TRIP / SCHEDULES
https://www.viarail.ca/en
Jr. Member
Apr 30, 2018
173 posts
561 upvotes
Yes you can, the ticket books a seat from point A to B, therefore won't matter where you get on the train between A and B. Also, I've done it plenty of times.
[OP]
Sr. Member
Oct 28, 2006
955 posts
619 upvotes
Alberta
jasonandannmarie wrote: Yes, drop off or get on at dorval or central station is the same
PointsHubby wrote: Yup... several of Canada’s major cities include “satellite” stations in their burbs for their Via routes
All of this info BTW, listing which trains during the day start or stop there can be found on the Via Rail Website under
PLAN YOUR TRIP / SCHEDULES
https://www.viarail.ca/en
RFDpadawan wrote: Yes you can, the ticket books a seat from point A to B, therefore won't matter where you get on the train between A and B. Also, I've done it plenty of times.

Thanks for the info, really appreciate it. I checked the train schedule and saw the train stops at Dorval but in their FAQ and help section I couldn't find my answer so I turned to my trusted rfd :)

You guys have a wonderful Sunday
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
22868 posts
21720 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
shinku wrote: Thanks for the info, really appreciate it. I checked the train schedule and saw the train stops at Dorval but in their FAQ and help section I couldn't find my answer so I turned to my trusted rfd :)

You guys have a wonderful Sunday
Have done this many times, travel to & from Dorval Station
You actually book the ticket... Dorval Station to Ottawa Via Rail Station *

(Note... for some trains Ottawa trains will list BOTH the Ottawa Stations... the main one as well as continuing as far west as the satellite one in the southwest end in the burbs listed as Fallowfield / Ottawa... if you want the one closest to Ottawa Downtown, choose the main one)

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)