• Last Updated:
  • May 12th, 2009 1:17 pm
Deal Fanatic
Jul 18, 2005
5002 posts
210 upvotes
Toronto

Video Card broken?

When I came back from University (for summer) I noticed that the basement computer was on. I asked my sister why it was on and she said she forgot to turn it off. it turns out the PC was on for 3 days as she forgot to turn it off. When I turn on my computer,it gets past the Windows XP boot screen and takes me to the menu where I can choose between safe mode, safe mode with networking, last configuration etc.

When I try to boot the PC normally, the screen goes blank and the PC restarts. When I start it in safemode it works perfectly and I can work everything normally. My video card is an ATI Radeon All in Wonder 9800 Pro. I think this could mean a video card problem, is there any other possibilty? The card has a fan on it so I find it difficult to believe that it over heated, but then again 3 days is alot.

All help is appreciated.

PS - Is there any recommended software I could use to test the video card?
Heatware PEPSI IPOD MINI WINNER (JUNE 2005)
22 replies
Deal Guru
Dec 3, 2004
10943 posts
430 upvotes
Markham/Mississauga
1st: 3 days is not a lot, I leave my PC on running for a full week and more before.

2nd: it is not a video card issue as you are able to get into safe mode, if it failed you would not be able to see anything at all.

3rd: this is a common windows error problem, usually necessitating a repair or a re-install.

I'd try to repair windows using your Winxp disc first. Alternatively, I would also reinstalling the video drivers with the latest drivers from ATI in Safe Mode. Uninstall the drivers and then reinstall them. That might also fix the issue.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 18, 2005
5002 posts
210 upvotes
Toronto
I refromatted the PC this morning, and I installed the ASUS, soundmax and other drivers. When I tried installing the latest drivers for ATI it said I needed .net framework 2.0. So I opened Firefox and it froze.

I restarted the PC and it keeps freezing after loading into safe mode. Right now its frozen at the welcome page where i selected 'administrator'.

Im going to turn it off and try again in a bit. Maybe it needs to cool down or something?
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2008
1432 posts
2 upvotes
Ontario
Sounds like a memory issue. Run memtest86.
"blackbox 2.2 aluminus"[INDENT]
Core i5 2500K / Asus P8P67 / 16 GB DDR3
GTX 580 / Samsung 27"
Intel 320 120GB / Win7Pro64
[/INDENT]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 24, 2001
5662 posts
73 upvotes
Calgary
And yes, you will need to download Microsoft's .net framework 2.0 for the ATI drivers to load properly.

Just goole ".net 2.0" and you should find it easy.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
30106 posts
5547 upvotes
Montreal
Those are exactly the symptoms I had when my Radeon 9800 died. Once the fan goes, anything other simple 2d causes it to overheat. Replace the fan, or get a new card. I've seen some 3450s in AGP flavour.
Deal Expert
May 14, 2007
15496 posts
2735 upvotes
Scarborough / Markha…
CSAgent wrote: 1st: 3 days is not a lot, I leave my PC on running for a full week and more before.

2nd: it is not a video card issue as you are able to get into safe mode, if it failed you would not be able to see anything at all.

3rd: this is a common windows error problem, usually necessitating a repair or a re-install.

I'd try to repair windows using your Winxp disc first. Alternatively, I would also reinstalling the video drivers with the latest drivers from ATI in Safe Mode. Uninstall the drivers and then reinstall them. That might also fix the issue.
+1 repair your windows and i never turn off my computer, so that shouldnt be the issue...lol
Deal Fanatic
Jul 18, 2005
5002 posts
210 upvotes
Toronto
BlueMax wrote: And yes, you will need to download Microsoft's .net framework 2.0 for the ATI drivers to load properly.

Just goole ".net 2.0" and you should find it easy.
I tried installing .net framework 2.0 and I got an error saying:

"The Windows Installer Service Could Not Be Accessed"

I also went through these steps to try and correct it, but it didnt work.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315353
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2003
2158 posts
518 upvotes
COU
maebach wrote: Oh wow. I just opened it up and it turn out the fan fell off the video card since it was attached upside down. :|

[IMG]http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/5656/s ... 111.th.jpg[/IMG]
I don't think I have seen one actually fall off before :lol:

Regardless, that is your problem. The card is overheating.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 18, 2005
5002 posts
210 upvotes
Toronto
[IMG]http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/2143/dsc06215e.th.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/7741/dsc06217i.th.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/1226/dsc06218q.th.jpg[/IMG]

There was dirt on the video card, but the dirt on the heatsink is yellowish brown. Could the buildup have caught onto the fan maybe? Is it possible to replace the heatsink? I replaced my ATI 7200 with this one so I will put that in temporarily.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 24, 2001
5662 posts
73 upvotes
Calgary
Do you need the AIW functions of the card? If not, 3D speed is going to be negligible anyways so stick to the 7200 replacement.

If you're ambitious, you could stick a CPU HS/F on there with thermal glue, but those retail sinks are hard to crack off! I used freezing + dental floss way back when. ;)
Deal Fanatic
Jul 18, 2005
5002 posts
210 upvotes
Toronto
Im stuck. I put in the temporary video card and I cant install the drivers in safe mode because they need .net framework 2.0. I cant install .net framework in safe mode because it needs to access windows update which doesnt work in safe mode for some reason. When I try to accesss windows update I get the error: 0x8007043C which I looked on google and it means the service is unavailable in safe mode.

So I Have to update my PC not in safe mode but thats impossible because my video card drivers arent installed :/
Deal Fanatic
Jul 18, 2005
5002 posts
210 upvotes
Toronto
Riffer wrote: Can you just uninstall the video cards in safe mode, then boot into windows using the default windows drivers?
I cant boot into windows at all. I tried going in using the VGA mode and still nothing. Should I reformat again?
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13840 posts
5545 upvotes
Ontario
you need to have all your drivers ready before you format. have it on a usb key or cd. this way once your done reinstalling windows you can install all your drivers & then do windows updates.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 18, 2005
5002 posts
210 upvotes
Toronto
sickcars wrote: you need to have all your drivers ready before you format. have it on a usb key or cd. this way once your done reinstalling windows you can install all your drivers & then do windows updates.
I have all the drivers on a few CDs. But Ive encountered a new problem. After the HDD formats, it restarts and I get to the Installing stage of XP with 39 minutes left. When XP starts to installing devices (around 34 mins left) the screen goes black and the disc stops spinning. I have to restart manually and then the process repeats itself.

Surely this is hardware related. Ive checked every connection in the PC itself and theres nothing out of place. Ive checked on multiple forums and it seems other people with the same problem used FixMBR? Im not sre what that is.

Its a legit copy of XP Home as well.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)