• Apr 27th, 2020 7:01 am
Tags:
[OP]
Nov 23, 2001
572 posts
120 upvotes

Videocard for an HTPC/1080p

Hello folks
I'm looking into transforming an old PC into a gaming HTPC. This would be replacing an old gaming laptop, that is definitely overkill for the media functions, but struggles a little bit with the PSN games on Windows. I noticed my PSN games would lag/skip on the laptop but when running them on my main rig they would be butter smooth (resolution was the same). I thought the main point of streaming would be to basically play on anything since the heavy lifting is done on the backend.
Anyway, I'm looking into recycling my previous gaming rig into a gaming htpc. I was wondering what would be the best bang for the buck to play in 1080p.
My old cpu should be powerful enough (i7 3770K with 32G of Ram still mounted on the mobo).
Heat and Noise are what I'm trying to avoid. I would prefer to go the AMD route but open to suggestion. Budget 100-150.
Thx for any suggestion.
9 replies
[OP]
Nov 23, 2001
572 posts
120 upvotes
I watched some reviews on youtube. Would a Radeon 560 or 570 fit the bill?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
6091 posts
2692 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Depends on how much noise you want to tolerate. The CPU you have is supposed to be 77W. I had a Phenom II which was 95W. Fans howled (3,600 rpm). Changed it to a low power (45w) Athlon II and it was much cooler and quieter. Maybe you can undervolt for watching TV?

GPU - fanless or fanned - will also make a noise difference. I use a 1030 (for 4K) fanless in my HTPC (and before that a fanless 5450 for 1080P). Again, maybe you can undervolt a fanned GPU for watching TV. Get a SSD too.
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
28797 posts
9272 upvotes
First off, what is your network and internet speed like? If you're using wifi, that's gonna be the biggest part of your problem. I assume by PSN you mean PS Now...the requirements are quite low to run it on PC and it's only 720p w/stereo audio which is really lightweight. But if your network (or internet) speeds aren't good, you're not going to have a good experience. Wifi is a common problem with this stuff sometimes not just because of the speed but the latency/hiccups, which lead to stuttering.
Deal Guru
Jan 11, 2004
10020 posts
877 upvotes
Toronto
1050 or a 1650 would be fine if on budget buy used 1050
"When operating the viewfinder diopter control with your eye to the viewfinder, care should be taken not to put your finger in your eye accidentally."
[OP]
Nov 23, 2001
572 posts
120 upvotes
I use to undervolt the CPU until I start gaming. I have a corsair cpu cooler that is very quite.
Ideally, I would like a fanless videocard but as long as it's quiet, I don't mind the fans.
My laptop is connected via ethernet. Not using wifi. Internet speed is 450 Mbps. As I mentioned, I tried the game on both PCs one immediately after the other, and the game was skipping on the laptop. It's an old game too Ninja Gaiden 3.
Penalty Box
Oct 13, 2008
4729 posts
1695 upvotes
I had built a PC a few years back (2016) and it's still hooked up to my TV.

I only use it to watch Youtube (as I HATE typing using the dinky remote control buttons for my SmartTV) and the downloaded BluRay quality movies and sometimes playing the MP3 collection.

My system setup (from 2016 and hasn't been upgraded since):
- AMD FX-6300 Black Edition 6-Core 3.5/4.1GHz 14MB Cache
- Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3
- 16GB DDR3 RAM (Crucial CT102464BA160B - 8GB DDR3 - 1600 1.5V CL11 ... 2 pcs)
- MSI RS450-MD1GD3H/LP Video Card
- Boot Drive (1TB - WD Blue WD10EZEX) - Partitioned 250GB for Boot and 750GB for Storage
- Second Drive (2TB - Seagate ST2000DM001) - Partitioned 500GB x 4

*** I find that the MSI 1GB video card is sufficient for these needs as since it's ONLY Youtube that I mainly use the Desktop for.

The Desktop is wired CAT6 to the Asus Gigabit Switch for direct internet connection to the internet (Rogers Gigabit).

For sound, the Desktop is wired HDMI to my Denon Receiver which feeds sound a 7.1 speaker system (pair of Jamo Classic 10 Towers for FL/FR + pair of Klipsch R51M for RL/RR + pair of Klipsch R14M for Dolby FL/FR + Polk Audio S35 Center Channel + Polk Audio HTS10 Subwoofer).

For streaming I just my unlocked Android Box that I purchased overseas for access to over 1000 channels, movies, drama series from Taiwan, Hong Kong, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, Singapore, China, UK, USA & Canada.

Still keeping my Rogers Cable for live sports (whenever NHL+NBA+MLB+NFL resumes).

For gaming: I have the NES Classic + SNES Classic + Sega Genesis Classic consoles ... more than enough games to keep me occupied.
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
5692 posts
2260 upvotes
Debtario
GPU pricing is whack, used market or waiting it out for a deal is your only hope.

I can vouch for the GTX 1050ti if you can find it under $150, My EVGA 1050ti is dead silent and runs cool (21C idle, 46 at max load). PCI-E powered and quite compact, that's the only reason I got it. Still quite expensive for how old the tech is, but hey that's the market.

RX570 should be better performance though, 580 even better if you get lucky. But it will need more power, run hotter and louder depending on what cooling configuration the card has.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
28797 posts
9272 upvotes
Dark wrote: I use to undervolt the CPU until I start gaming. I have a corsair cpu cooler that is very quite.
Ideally, I would like a fanless videocard but as long as it's quiet, I don't mind the fans.
My laptop is connected via ethernet. Not using wifi. Internet speed is 450 Mbps. As I mentioned, I tried the game on both PCs one immediately after the other, and the game was skipping on the laptop. It's an old game too Ninja Gaiden 3.
If it's only a problem on the laptop and it works on the desktop, why do you need a videocard?

There's no details here--what are the specs of the laptop? Is this an Atom laptop or something?
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
26391 posts
3415 upvotes
Montreal
Pretty much any low end card from Nvidia or amd will do it.

I use the onboard video from a from an AMD apu (7800k or some such) and it runs fine.