118 posts
216 upvotes
Montreal

[Videotron] Helix Internet 100mbps for $38 and 400mbps Internet $52, YMMV

Deal Link:
Retailer:
Videotron
More offers from Videotron
Saw this deal on videotron since I missed out on Fizz internet deal, found out they had a special offer for my zip code, so YMMV.

$52 for 24months Reg.$82/month, plus $12 for equipment monthly, you own the Helix Modem+Router wiifi6 after 24 months and $12 drops off the bill.

52+12 equipment+9.6(tax) = $73.6 total for first 24 months.

They had 100 mbps for $38+12+7.5= $57.5 total
Same price for 60mbps. Go figure.🤷‍♂️

Good for people who already own a Helix router.
Images
  • Screenshot_20210912-210952_DuckDuckGo.jpg
  • Screenshot_20210912-211954_DuckDuckGo.jpg
Last edited by CrimeMasterGoGo on Sep 12th, 2021 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
26 replies
Deal Fanatic
Apr 10, 2011
6809 posts
11336 upvotes
Montreal
I looked under my couch and didn't find any Helix modem. Since it's mandatory to have it you should add $12 to the price in the title. Then IF someone happens to have a Helix modem, deduct $12.

2 years from now. Videotron's prices will be higher than $82 per month because like Bhell, it's a premium brand (not a discount brand) and they will keep raising their prices regularly. You won't be able to negotiate another discount. Many have tried. That means switching ISP again or paying through the nose.

Also, the Helix modem you will have paid for will be locked to Videotron.
Last edited by Temporel on Sep 12th, 2021 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Feb 24, 2020
118 posts
216 upvotes
Montreal
Temporel wrote: I looked under my couch and didn't find any Helix modem. Since it's mandatory to have it you should add $12 to the price in the title. Then IF someone happens to have a Helix modem, deduct $12.

2 years from now. Videotron's prices will be higher than $82 per month because like Bhell, they keep raising their prices regularly and you won't be able to negotiate another discount. Many have tried. That means switching ISP again or paying through the nose.

The Helix modem you will have paid for will be locked to Videotron.
It's RFD, switching carriers for a good deal is kinda what we do. And a friend in Deux mountains has successfully renewed his discount for about 6 years now. So it's up to your negotiating skills.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 10, 2011
6809 posts
11336 upvotes
Montreal
CrimeMasterGoGo wrote: It's RFD, switching carriers for a good deal is kinda what we do. And a friend in Deux mountains has successfully renewed his discount for about 6 years now. So it's up to your negotiating skills.
Sure, if you pay for a premium TV package, an overpriced Videotron land line and an expensive cellular service, you might have some leverage when negotiating. But all those 6 years he stayed with Videotron, he happily overpaid for almost everything.

I agree, RFD is about deals and if you are with Bhell or Videotron direct (instead of a flanker brand) you are overpaying.

But hey, if you like haggling and pay too much, suit yourself. It's time and money, not mine. :)

By the way, to get that price. You are locked into a 2-year contract. Read the fine print. $43 of taxes on the Helix modem payable at time of registration: "Taxes on equipment purchased through an instalment [SIC] payment plan must be paid in full upon purchase."

This "deal" was posted on RFD last November!

I can't get that deal at my address. It's probably availaible only where there is a lot of competition from Bell with Fiber To The Home. New customers only. The price of the Helix Fi Gateway (modem) used to be $240 + taxes or $10/month. It's now $288 + taxes or $12 per month. Good ol' Videotron!
Deal Fanatic
Apr 10, 2011
6809 posts
11336 upvotes
Montreal
v3dg666 wrote: Surely they will blame the "chip shortage" for this.

https://www.techpowerup.com/280884/glob ... outer?cp=2
Face With Tears Of Joy Yeah, Péladeau doesn't have enough "chips" to eat.

If you cancel your subscription before the 2 years are over, you have to pay for the balance due on your the Helix Fi Gateway (modem) and they back charge you the regular price on your subscription. If you don't pay, they will send your account to collection and scrap your credit report.

Another thing YOU own the equipment (Helix Fi Gateway).
The equipment breaks: YOU pay for a repair/replacement.
Nov 9, 2018
98 posts
174 upvotes
Temporel wrote:
Sure, if you pay for a premium TV package, an overpriced Videotron land line and an expensive cellular service, you might have some leverage when negotiating. But all those 6 years he stayed with Videotron, he happily overpaid for almost everything.

I agree, RFD is about deals and if you are with Bhell or Videotron direct (instead of a flanker brand) you are overpaying.

But hey, if you like haggling and pay too much, suit yourself. It's time and money, not mine. :)

By the way, to get that price. You are locked into a 2-year contract. Read the fine print. $43 of taxes on the Helix modem payable at time of registration: "Taxes on equipment purchased through an instalment [SIC] payment plan must be paid in full upon purchase."

I can't get that deal at my address. It's probably availaible only where there is a lot of competition from Bell with Fiber To The Home. New customers only. The price of the Helix Fi Gateway (modem) used to be $240 + taxes or $10/month. It's now $288 + taxes or $12 per month. Good ol' Videotron!
The 10$ per month was the wifi 5 router black router. They increased to 12$ but you get the new model wifi 6 router white model.
You can always buy second hand on kijiji usually the black one is selling about 100$
The equipment is yours so you can always resell it, if you are no longer using it
Last edited by Claudiod123 on Sep 13th, 2021 8:53 am, edited 3 times in total.
Nov 9, 2018
98 posts
174 upvotes
Temporel wrote:
Face With Tears Of Joy Yeah, Péladeau doesn't have enough "chips" to eat.

If you cancel your subscription before the 2 years are over, you have to pay for the balance due on your the Helix Fi Gateway (modem) and they back charge you the regular price on your subscription. If you don't pay, they will send your account to collection and scrap your credit report.

Another thing YOU own the equipment (Helix Fi Gateway).
The equipment breaks: YOU pay for a repair/replacement.
There is a 2 year warranty on the equipment from the day it is activated. You can still buy used and the warranty is transferable.

Again there is no contract, you can cancel anytime, you only need to pay the balance left on the equipment, if you chose financing it monthly. If you bought it outright there is no balance to pay.
Feb 25, 2015
319 posts
125 upvotes
Montreal, QC
What is $7.5 in the 100 mbps?
Sep 11, 2008
804 posts
488 upvotes
Quebec
Temporel wrote: I looked under my couch and didn't find any Helix modem. Since it's mandatory to have it you should add $12 to the price in the title. Then IF someone happens to have a Helix modem, deduct $12.

2 years from now. Videotron's prices will be higher than $82 per month because like Bhell, it's a premium brand (not a discount brand) and they will keep raising their prices regularly. You won't be able to negotiate another discount. Many have tried. That means switching ISP again or paying through the nose.

Also, the Helix modem you will have paid for will be locked to Videotron.
Every internet thread this guys posts about is to say how bad that company is...except when it's Fizz.

I've got a solution to your problem :
You can buy a used Helix modem and resell after.
You can switch carrier when there's better prices elsewhere.
Apr 17, 2020
64 posts
81 upvotes
Temporel wrote: Sure, if you pay for a premium TV package, an overpriced Videotron land line and an expensive cellular service, you might have some leverage when negotiating. But all those 6 years he stayed with Videotron, he happily overpaid for almost everything.

Ive been paying 52$ for the past few years with videotron for 400mpbs. No bell fiber to the home available in my area. I have no other videotron services, no tv, no mobile. Bought a helix router on Kijiji for 100$. No contract.

There is no cheaper plan available for 400mbps in my area. So yes, ymmv depending on your area, but seems disingenuous to just say boo videotron bad
Feb 25, 2015
319 posts
125 upvotes
Montreal, QC
I'm completely against the idea of buying a modem so that I can get the service.
And if I cancel the service, I have to pay the balance like a mobile device

I see it like this:
If a provider want my business, give me the modem free (not router) until I cancel then take back your modem.
The provider can offer me a router for an extra. And it's up to me to take it or no.
Not interested to get one from Kijiji and it might be defective, and not interested to go into the hassle of buying a new one and resell after.

I used to be a Vidéotron internet user for 12 years and I had their router for free until I cancelled with them
Last edited by goal80 on Sep 13th, 2021 10:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dec 11, 2018
2 posts
1 upvote
Candiac
I don’t know how you get the deal. I live on the south shore of Montréal and the price I see using my adress: 65$ for 100 mbs, 70$ for 400 mbs.
Sep 11, 2008
804 posts
488 upvotes
Quebec
Temporel wrote: Sure, if you pay for a premium TV package, an overpriced Videotron land line and an expensive cellular service, you might have some leverage when negotiating. But all those 6 years he stayed with Videotron, he happily overpaid for almost everything.

But hey, if you like haggling and pay too much, suit yourself. It's time and money, not mine. :) I think Fizz's deal is better, right? 120/20 Mbps for $60 per month

I can't get that deal at my address. It's probably availaible only where there is a lot of competition from Bell with Fiber To The Home. New customers only. The price of the Helix Fi Gateway (modem) used to be $240 + taxes or $10/month. It's now $288 + taxes or $12 per month. Good ol' Videotron! That was for the old router. The new router has Wifi6 and is better compared to the 1st gen
Take what he says with a grain of salt. Fizz is best. Thanks OP, might switch over from previous IVC deal since it's expiring soon.
Max_89 wrote: I don’t know how you get the deal. I live on the south shore of Montréal and the price I see using my adress: 65$ for 100 mbs, 70$ for 400 mbs.
Deal is not available to you.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2005
1030 posts
1153 upvotes
Montreal
goal80 wrote: I'm completely against the idea of buying a modem so that I can get the service.
And if I cancel the service, I have to pay the balance like a mobile device

I see it like this:
If a provider want my business, give me the modem free (not router) until I cancel then take back your modem.
The provider can offer me a router for an extra. And it's up to me to take it or no.
Not interested to get one from Kijiji and it might be defective, and not interested to go into the hassle of buying a new one and resell after.

I used to be a Vidéotron internet user for 12 years and I had their router for free until I cancelled with them
I agree. I once bought a used modem (before Helix), only to find the previous owner had a balance on his account so the modem was unusable (even if the hardware was fine). They told me to track down the previous owner and get them to pay, but would not tell me who the previous owner was. lol.

At least with a cell phone, once you cancel with one company, you can bring your phone to another one. The hardware is not locked to the provider. So, like @goal80 said, if you want proprietary hardware, I don't want to pay for it.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2012
3051 posts
2701 upvotes
Montreal
Is the OP deal for new or existing customers or both?

virtuman1980 wrote: Haha...pretty interesting fellow indeed...but it was this persistence/stubbornness of his that got him the positive result in the end.
datako wrote: ... Although, I'm a little surprised you went against what everyone advised ,op. You've got balls and absolutely crazy at the same time to do this.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
6064 posts
4345 upvotes
Videotron expect to keep you as a subscriber since you have to buy the Helix equipment. If you go from the older tech (Illico and regular internet) to the newer Helix and don't like it, there is no way to go back to Illico. I personally stick to Illico, and when Videotron will make it mandatory to switch to Helix, then I'll see what I'll do. Buying the equipment makes it a hassle if you ever want to leave Videotron, you have to pay the balance (if there is any) and sell those on yuor own. Above all, if you don't like Helix internet, no way to have Videotron TV, as it is now IP TV where you must have their internet for it to work. Confirmed by their CSR at multiple time, as I did not believe that they were jumping in that kind of business. BOOO Videotron

Talking for my own situation we need the Helix FI gateway and at least 3 Helix receiver, over $700 in equipment if bought brand new... If there is issues after the warranty (2 or 3 years?) then you are out of luck, and have to buy again...