Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Videotron

QC only Videotron 400 61$-71$

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 18th, 2021 10:04 am
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2015
2104 posts
2931 upvotes
Roxboro, QC
One thing to remember for those with businesses or internet allocation due to remote work is that the first month you have to pay taxes of the helix machine upfront. For me that kind of sucks because it is above what the maximum monthly spend is. With my current Altima 50/10 FTTN connection, i sometimes get ping loss at night when gaming but usually no lag on zoom calls. I would absolutely hate either higher pings or zoom lag and i assume Videotron's backbone to great.
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2010
2975 posts
2003 upvotes
montreal
Emporium wrote: I switched to Altimatel a few years ago, and never looked back.
Now I am on the 100Mbps cable plan (Videotron network), and speeds and pings are great.
Price is $50/month for unlimited.
I typically prepay for the year, so they charge you 11 months instead of 12, so average monthly price comes down to $45.83/month for unlimited.
It is basically 50 + tx with them?

If I am currently with teksavvy cable 30 unlimited (63+tx).
So I could easilly switch to them by simply swapping my current modem with theirs ?
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
4278 posts
5209 upvotes
Montreal, QC
superbigjay wrote: It is basically 50 + tx with them?

If I am currently with teksavvy cable 30 unlimited (63+tx).
So I could easilly switch to them by simply swapping my current modem with theirs ?
Yes. you would call Teksavvy and ask to cancel your current service at a particular date (I think you need to give them 30 day notice). Then you go onto Altimatel's web page, you select the speed you want, and then select the installation date you want (I think it is 2 week lead time - and it should be the date that teksavvy give you as official last day - otherwise videotron may refuse to install if another service is still active). So if you try to subscribe today, the earliest install data available is Jan 18th. If you pay monthly you pay $50+tx for 100mbps cable plan. And they include the modem for as long as you are a customer (you return it when you are done). They do charge $10 for the modem shipping however.
Sometimes they wave the activation fee, however at this time, I notice they are charging a 1 time $40 activation fee.

The day that teksaavy disconnects you, you swap out their modem, you plug in the modem Altimatel sends you and you are back in business. For me, I woke up that morning, realized I had no internet, I swapped modems and everything was back up.

Keep in mind that they provide just a modem. So you would need your own router.

Cheers
Apr 6, 2019
39 posts
17 upvotes
Quebec
Emporium wrote: Yes. you would call Teksavvy and ask to cancel your current service at a particular date (I think you need to give them 30 day notice). Then you go onto Altimatel's web page, you select the speed you want, and then select the installation date you want (I think it is 2 week lead time - and it should be the date that teksavvy give you as official last day - otherwise videotron may refuse to install if another service is still active). So if you try to subscribe today, the earliest install data available is Jan 18th. If you pay monthly you pay $50+tx for 100mbps cable plan. And they include the modem for as long as you are a customer (you return it when you are done). They do charge $10 for the modem shipping however.
Sometimes they wave the activation fee, however at this time, I notice they are charging a 1 time $40 activation fee.

The day that teksaavy disconnects you, you swap out their modem, you plug in the modem Altimatel sends you and you are back in business. For me, I woke up that morning, realized I had no internet, I swapped modems and everything was back up.

Keep in mind that they provide just a modem. So you would need your own router.

Cheers
They also sell their router which is the TP Link Deco M5 for 80$. Not sure if its good though...or maybe its better to buy your own.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2012
1296 posts
2042 upvotes
Terrebonne
beneran89 wrote: Why every three months? Didn't know that they update retention plans, is this shared publicly? I've been calling nearly every two years just when the "contract" is about to end to maintain the price I'm paying for the four mobile lines, and the internet. The $3 increase I'm going to try to have them avoid tacking that on, or threaten transferring to Bell FTTH (more of a bluff, since I don't want to deal with the headaches that Bell includes in every package), or EBOX 400Mbps cable.
Last time I called im to try to negotiate I used that tactic. The Vidéotron employée told me, literally, "Sir, if you want lower prices, you can go with Bell".

My jaw dropped to the floor. Ended up with "yeah, well, no that's fine, thanks".

Was with Bell for about 4 years on mobile and 1 year for satellite TV. N-E-V-E-R again.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2012
1296 posts
2042 upvotes
Terrebonne
superxxxstud wrote: One thing to remember for those with businesses or internet allocation due to remote work is that the first month you have to pay taxes of the helix machine upfront. For me that kind of sucks because it is above what the maximum monthly spend is. With my current Altima 50/10 FTTN connection, i sometimes get ping loss at night when gaming but usually no lag on zoom calls. I would absolutely hate either higher pings or zoom lag and i assume Videotron's backbone to great.
With Vidéotron i get pings around 18-30 in most games. It's great for gaming really.
Nov 8, 2020
73 posts
444 upvotes
Hey guys,

I saw a lot of comments above complaining about poor quality of service and some issue with Helix ! Is there only few cases or a lot of people are facing disconnections etc ?

Thank you
Jun 19, 2006
530 posts
1056 upvotes
Just be aware that Fizz/Videotron throttles BitTorrent traffic but regular traffic is fine
Oct 20, 2008
324 posts
817 upvotes
spidersan wrote: Just be aware that Fizz/Videotron throttles BitTorrent traffic but regular traffic is fine
What is your source? I don't get throttled at any time of the day.
Jul 6, 2008
471 posts
171 upvotes
Montreal
Jaubii wrote: Hey guys,

I saw a lot of comments above complaining about poor quality of service and some issue with Helix ! Is there only few cases or a lot of people are facing disconnections etc ?

Thank you
Heard a colleague complain about Helix too. Problem with their router blocking some ports, and he couldn't override what he wanted.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
4278 posts
5209 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Endayy wrote: They also sell their router which is the TP Link Deco M5 for 80$. Not sure if its good though...or maybe its better to buy your own.
The price is not bad for single unit. They don't have any huge markup on it, which is nice.
But, I personally have a preference to buying my own units. Something like the new AX series from Asus is usually my go to models.

Not saying the Deco M5 is bad, but it was designed to shine more in a mesh infrastructure, which is why you typically see them sold as dual and triple packs. Now, if you are in a small apartment, then it should be enough however. One advantage is that Altima mentions on their web page that "Lifetime warranty on all Altima devices for as long as you’re a customer!". Never had to try it, so can't comment on how that works, but at least they do back the equipment. And the fact that it is not inflated with huge markup makes it a decent choice for anyone who doesn't already have a router and their needs are basic.
Mar 26, 2012
204 posts
66 upvotes
spidersan wrote: Just be aware that Fizz/Videotron throttles BitTorrent traffic but regular traffic is fine
That's not true. I long worked escalation tech support there, they've never done any throttling. I would have known and would have trained frontline techs about it, and would have had to deal with thousands of escalation tickets about it. Thank god that wasn't a thing.

After decades of labor disputes, penny-penching management and stupid top-down decisions, I assure you I would not lie to cover their asses. I'd happily blow the whistle on anything shady. But that just didn't happen.
Nov 6, 2013
618 posts
588 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Jeez, things have gotten rough in the internet space. I managed to lock in 120/20 mbps back in August 2019 for $35 through CanNet (reselling Videotron in QC). I think the price guarantee ends this August.

Are we still waiting for new rulings from the CRTC? Are prices expected to get more competitive again going forward?
Dec 21, 2019
474 posts
906 upvotes
The promo is over, and now it's back to $65 for 400mbps in QC.

Did anyone notice that they already increased the base price of that plan?
It says now that in 24 months the regular price will be $82 and yesterday it was $81...lol, still up to their old tricks!
Mar 14, 2008
379 posts
177 upvotes
Diakonos wrote: Jeez, things have gotten rough in the internet space. I managed to lock in 120/20 mbps back in August 2019 for $35 through CanNet (reselling Videotron in QC). I think the price guarantee ends this August.

Are we still waiting for new rulings from the CRTC? Are prices expected to get more competitive again going forward?
The big guys are appealing the ruling to the supreme court (yes yes), the ETA was 3-4 months to know if the supreme court will hear the plaintiffs (that was on nov 12th). So it might be done by august but I'd doubt it.
Nov 6, 2013
618 posts
588 upvotes
Montreal, QC
login wrote: The big guys are appealing the ruling to the supreme court (yes yes), the ETA was 3-4 months to know if the supreme court will hear the plaintiffs (that was on nov 12th). So it might be done by august but I'd doubt it.
Thank you!
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2015
2104 posts
2931 upvotes
Roxboro, QC
SideFFect26 wrote: The promo is over, and now it's back to $65 for 400mbps in QC.

Did anyone notice that they already increased the base price of that plan?
It says now that in 24 months the regular price will be $82 and yesterday it was $81...lol, still up to their old tricks!
Yup deal is done. Congrats to those who were able to nab this one. It really was the best deal available for speeds in this range and for those who don't have access to Bell FTTH.
Jun 19, 2006
530 posts
1056 upvotes
I can only go from personal tests, last night I downloaded a torrent through UTorrent at 9pm and was only getting speeds around 2MB/s but when I downloaded a file through regular site, I got 15MB/s. My plan is 120Mbps down 25mbps up
Deal Fanatic
May 13, 2005
5148 posts
5848 upvotes
Montreal
Valamyr wrote: That's not true. I long worked escalation tech support there, they've never done any throttling. I would have known and would have trained frontline techs about it, and would have had to deal with thousands of escalation tickets about it. Thank god that wasn't a thing.

After decades of labor disputes, penny-penching management and stupid top-down decisions, I assure you I would not lie to cover their asses. I'd happily blow the whistle on anything shady. But that just didn't happen.
How long did you stop working at Videotron?

Videotron introduced traffic management recently only for high bandwidth upload plan like Helix Internet.
Does Videotron apply Internet traffic management measures?
Videotron applies management measures only to upload traffic (i.e. from the user to the Internet) for its 30 Mbit/s upload speed plans, and under certain conditions (see below).

Why does Videotron use Internet traffic management measures?
Videotron’s mission is to offer the best online experience to as many users as possible. Videotron uses traffic management measures to prevent some modems from slowing down the service, even momentarily.

What kind of traffic does Videotron target?
Videotron does not target any particular type of traffic, nor any specific applications or protocols such as peer-to-peer file sharing. Only data uploads made under the 30 Mbit/s upload speed plans are subject to traffic management. Download traffic is not managed.

When and how is traffic managed on the Videotron network?
Every 15 minutes, a system verifies the traffic rate of each upstream channel (typically, one upstream channel serves a few dozen modems). If the traffic rate exceeds the threshold above which congestion occurs, the system identifies the modems that are uploading a large amount of data. The upload capacity of these modems is then given a low-priority rating. However, if the congestion persists or increases, then the upload speed of these modems may slow down.

When the amount of data uploaded by the modem is diminished or the traffic on that channel reverts to a normal enough rate that congestion is no longer an issue, the upload capacity will go back to its usual priority. Even when they are no longer prioritized, modems for 30 Mbit/s upload speed plans can use up all the upload bandwidth that other modems are not using, at a speed equivalent to these modems’ nominal speed.

The measures described above are implemented on an ongoing basis.
https://support.videotron.com/business/ ... management
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2004
1915 posts
1501 upvotes
Longueuil
login wrote: The big guys are appealing the ruling to the supreme court (yes yes), the ETA was 3-4 months to know if the supreme court will hear the plaintiffs (that was on nov 12th). So it might be done by august but I'd doubt it.
The good news is those promotions are reported to CRTC/court so it will make it harder for Vidéotron to say that the tarif established by CRTC doesn't make sense. Vidéotron can't say to CRTC that the price for IISP is below their cost and on the other hand, sell for a lower price to its direct customers (they are lying when they reported their real cost or they are dumping by selling below their cost, it has to be one or the other).
Try not! Do or do not, there is no try...

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)