• Last Updated:
  • Mar 26th, 2024 8:35 pm
Tags:
None
Aug 9, 2015
491 posts
317 upvotes
Calgary
jerryhung wrote: Really? I see big 60K in the middle blue box from my own referral link as well (from Plat to Plat)

Will await your screenshot, or honestly feel free to PM me your link so I can test out for you
Just tried again at home this morning and the 60k MR appeared on left hand box. All is good, not really sure why it wasn't showing up on the iPad last night. I applied and got approved.

Thanks Jerry and ace and bizee!
But at what cost
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2013
2779 posts
1134 upvotes
Winnipeg
G0DKING wrote: Fixed it for you a bit (in bold)

Basically, if you start with AMEX Platinum Business then self-refer to Gold Business:
75k Plat Business welcome - $400 Plat Business AF + 25k Plat Business Referral to Gold Business + 40k Gold Business Welcome = 140k(minimum $1400) - $400 = Minimum $1000 for the two cards

If you start with AMEX Gold Business then self-refer to Platinum Business:
40k Gold Business Welcome + 10k Gold Business Referral to Plat Business + 75k Plat Business welcome - $400 Plat Business AF = 125k(minimum $1250) - $400 = Minimum $850 for the same two cards
thanks, all makes sense now. i think i will skip this for now. one is i dont have a way to spend $5K twice to realize full benefits and i am just starting out.

so i will get my feet wet with some baby crunching with AMEX Personal Gold (250K points for 1.5K spending). also that will give me a feel of whats involved and if i want to keep doing this. Let me give it some more thought.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. -- Douglas Adams
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2014
2033 posts
1013 upvotes
amitdi wrote: thanks, all makes sense now. i think i will skip this for now. one is i dont have a way to spend $5K twice to realize full benefits and i am just starting out.

so i will get my feet wet with some baby crunching with AMEX Personal Gold (250K points for 1.5K spending). also that will give me a feel of whats involved and if i want to keep doing this. Let me give it some more thought.
Do whatever works for you; that's what churning's all about
As for the "spend 5k twice": you don't need to apply for the second 5k spend card (Business Gold), as a referral from the Business Platinum to the personal Gold/Plat will also get you that 25k referral bonus
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2006
1420 posts
297 upvotes
40K credited to my account after 8 weeks for the Amex Business Gold (third time doing it)
Was worried they were stopping the welcome bonus for repeats
Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10198 posts
4028 upvotes
BC
Flitox wrote: Woot! I just received 15K Aeroplan miles from a TD in-branch only deal offered for opening a premium chequing account AND an TD Visa Aeroplan a the same time. On top of that, I will probably receive:
  • $300 cash deposit for TD all-inclusive/unlimited chequing account facebook promo
  • 2x 25K Aeroplan miles as TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite welcome bonuses (I wanted one card, but TD mistakes made me get approved for two cards :P
Separate in-branch offer? 15k for chequing + Aeroplan CC?
Was there a terms & conditions sheet somewhere to look at in branch?

"will probably receive" part doesn't sound very certain :)

Wondering if the terms exclude stacking promos - I'd rather get the $300 from the FB link deal I am due to go in and make an account for and separately get the AP bonus if accepting the 15k deal will mean excluding the others.

e.g. CIBC account promo had a T&C entry about promo stacking and when some people randomly were given an easier monthly fee waiver promo they were then notified that was being rescinded after a month when the $300 promo got paid out.

One hand gives, the other taketh away.

If that's the case I want to choose hands :)
POLL: How frequent is your RRSP-matching?
Plastiq: Pay any bill with credit card for 0-2.5% fee (help meet min spending and keep old cards active!)
Rewards program transfer times (e.g. SPG->Aeroplan, Marriott->SPG, Amex MR->SPG...)
Apr 28, 2012
964 posts
345 upvotes
QC
ace604 wrote: Separate in-branch offer? 15k for chequing + Aeroplan CC?
Was there a terms & conditions sheet somewhere to look at in branch?
Didn't see any sheet. The agent noticed the offer when he was checking what's offers are available on his computer
ace604 wrote: "will probably receive" part doesn't sound very certain :)
"probably" because TD is known to be finicky in regards to honoring their promo offers without reminding from the client
Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10198 posts
4028 upvotes
BC
Flitox wrote: Didn't see any sheet. The agent noticed the offer when he was checking what's offers are available on his computer

"probably" because TD is known to be finicky in regards to honoring their promo offers without reminding from the client
Feel like chiming in on your experience here: 300-new-chequing-account-2056392/9/#p27200185
Someone else just posted similar, but they ALREADY had the TD AP VI card from months back and just asked them to 'link' it to the new account and got a surprise 15k AP showing up.
POLL: How frequent is your RRSP-matching?
Plastiq: Pay any bill with credit card for 0-2.5% fee (help meet min spending and keep old cards active!)
Rewards program transfer times (e.g. SPG->Aeroplan, Marriott->SPG, Amex MR->SPG...)
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2014
2033 posts
1013 upvotes
Flitox wrote: Didn't see any sheet. The agent noticed the offer when he was checking what's offers are available on his computer
Hey Flitox,
You said you just received the 15k points, but how soon did you see the 15k "TD Chequing Account Bonus" in your Aeroplan transactions after signing up for the account
You mentioned the rep noticed it on his screen; to your best knowledge, did the rep click or do anything to apply this 15k promotion in the office when you were signing up, or do you think it was automatic
Jul 25, 2007
21 posts
Toronto
Has anyone been given attitude by a CSR when you cancel one of these cards?

I recently called to cancel an RBC Avion Infinite, but the first call was "disconnected" within 5 seconds of me stating I wanted to cancel. Second call I got a different representative and she terminated the card without a hassle.

Years ago I cancelled an MBNA card and the CSR actually got huffy, asking why I wanted to cancel. She was angry! I kept my cool and reiterated my wish to cancel, and she relented.

Maybe they get a reprimand from management if they can't convince a customer to keep the card.
Feb 13, 2014
535 posts
299 upvotes
RFD Land
ChrisAG wrote: Has anyone been given attitude by a CSR when you cancel one of these cards?

I recently called to cancel an RBC Avion Infinite, but the first call was "disconnected" within 5 seconds of me stating I wanted to cancel. Second call I got a different representative and she terminated the card without a hassle.

Years ago I cancelled an MBNA card and the CSR actually got huffy, asking why I wanted to cancel. She was angry! I kept my cool and reiterated my wish to cancel, and she relented.

Maybe they get a reprimand from management if they can't convince a customer to keep the card.
They try sometimes... I just politely give them the Megan Trainor rendition.... No.... No... No... No thank you... Please cancel... No... No... :)
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2008
7000 posts
7627 upvotes
malakijoy wrote: Not sure how anyone can selfishly,personally gain by suggesting credit cards to earn aeroplan. Please share how this can be done .
Hmm, let's see. By suggesting someone who isn't into the Aeroplan game to apply for cards when it may not be in their best interest, and then asking them to contact you by PM so that you can throw yet another shameless Amex referral at them, so you can get some free points, whether it be the right fit for the new applicant or not? Or do you not go over those details with the people that you contact by PM? Hmm?

Or how about creating an alternate alias, like they way you did with the crouchingbunny account:
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=1369956
Using it to spam people with your Amex referrals via PMs, and then getting off easy, after getting caught, with nothing more than a wrist slap while the throwaway alternate account took the major hit with a Ban and you got a lighter punishment by simply being put into the Penalty Box, where you are allowed to continue posting?

Read my prior post again. Aeroplan is NOT a well-received FFP for the overwhelming majority of people out there. There are thousands of stories from new and even long time members who complain of disappointment and even anger about how devaluated their points have become. As bad as the experience has been for these people, it's been opening a window of opportunity for those who do learn how to book 'better' with Aeroplan, but it does take time and I'm willing to help people for free when they ask me (and there have been several dozens), but I'm no expert so I suggest them to also try one of the paid services ($100 - $200 per ticket). But when you do book your first mini-RTW (round the world) award redemption in business or first class, it's a great feeling.
*** My private mail inbox is full. Cannot receive new messages. ***
Countdown - 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, 0. Done@6603. 2022-07-26 3:17pm ET.
Deal Addict
Aug 23, 2004
1479 posts
85 upvotes
Etobicoke, ON
Any recent experiences of how long it takes for transfer from Canadian Amex to Avios? I've seen reports of about 48 hours from a few years ago.

How long does it take for referral sign up bonus for Amex SPG to be posted? Is it the same month or next month's statement?

Also, how long does it take until bonus points from Amex Airmiles card get posted to Airmiles? It's been ~15 days since Amex sent points to Airmiles, but they still have not posted.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2006
5314 posts
2518 upvotes
Winnipeg
Raven_007 wrote:
How long does it take for referral sign up bonus for Amex SPG to be posted? Is it the same month or next month's statement?
I have had a recent experience of getting them on the first statement after spending the $500 for the personal card.

But... I have also had times where it took months, especially in the case of referral bonuses being posted
Mar 25, 2016
28 posts
7 upvotes
Winnipeg, Canada
Gonkman wrote: FYI...

I passed the spend on my Amex Gold Personal and it took just over 8 weeks for the welcome bonus to show up (Today). My MR account for the Personal Gold was linked to my Personal Platinum as the main card.

Still waiting on my Gold Business bonus points to post but it has only been about 5 weeks since I passed the $5K Spend. Same situation as my Gold Personal.... my Business Gold is linked to my Personal Platinum all as one MR Account.

ie: All MR Pts show up under my Personal Platinum and Gold Personal and Gold Business both show "Refer to Card XXXX for Pts Balance".
I had this same situation with my personal AMEX CPA Gold. Took about 8 weeks for the 25,000 to post after meeting minimum spend. The MR account was linked to my Platinum card as well.
Apr 19, 2016
14 posts
4 upvotes
I just transferred canadian amex mr to avios and it took 6 days. I transferred last week on wednesday and received the points on tuesday this week. Last time it was faster though.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2008
7000 posts
7627 upvotes
Beckky1988 wrote: $4500.I can't apply for the business because I work in a company.Its 30,000 points on the website,not 40000.I will get the gold,but thank you for the information!
Beckky1988 wrote: I don't understand. Who is GCR and what do you mean by falling for beggars? I want to apply from the Amex website, is it risky?Is it better to phone them because I have never seen a branch that I can go to.
Beckky1988 wrote: I don't know anyone with an Amex,its not accepted in so many places.I don't understand what you mean by getting 40000 points if I ask for a referral link.The Amex website said 30000 points.won't they want me to prove that I have a business? If I use my name and don't have to send them any proof,later on if they find out I don't have a business,wont they report me to the police for fraud?
I saw your post at the Points Programs Tips thread.

So, you applied and received your Business Gold card already, yesteday Dec 14th, and you've already spent $5K on it (I thought the $4500 was for a down payment on a car purchase for NEXT month)?

Ok, well, let's put this in context.

On Dec 10th Sat evening, you didn't even know what the Amex Biz Gold card is, based on your posts here. But someone convinced you to apply for the card already?

Let's go along with this, and assume you applied Sat nite, Sun morning. Now, it sounds like this is your first Amex card. Standard procedures with Amex is to not give instant approval, requiring you to call in to verify your ID if you want to speed up the application, or you can wait for them to positively identify you which normally takes a few days.

And you're stating now that you received the Biz Gold card on Wed Dec 14th? I find this very hard to believe.

FYI, I also applied for the Biz Gold card on Sun, saw my Transunion file was pulled and I got instant approval. I called Amex to enquire on where my card is and the rep said that my card was just stamped and popped into the mail the for delivery yesterday (Dec 14), yet you were able to get it stamped and MAILED to your home while my new card was still being placed into an envelop for delivery?

This reeks of yet another trolling alternate / alias account.
*** My private mail inbox is full. Cannot receive new messages. ***
Countdown - 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, 0. Done@6603. 2022-07-26 3:17pm ET.
Deal Addict
Jun 28, 2013
4019 posts
3368 upvotes
YUL/YVR
bizee-bee wrote: On Dec 10th Sat evening, you didn't even know what the Amex Biz Gold card is, based on your posts here. But someone convinced you to apply for the card already?

Let's go along with this, and assume you applied Sat nite, Sun morning. Now, it sounds like this is your first Amex card. Standard procedures with Amex is to not give instant approval, requiring you to call in to verify your ID if you want to speed up the application, or you can wait for them to positively identify you which normally takes a few days.

And you're stating now that you received the Biz Gold card on Wed Dec 14th? I find this very hard to believe.

FYI, I also applied for the Biz Gold card on Sun, saw my Transunion file was pulled and I got instant approval. I called Amex to enquire on where my card is and the rep said that my card was just stamped and popped into the mail the for delivery yesterday (Dec 14), yet you were able to get it stamped and MAILED to your home while my new card was still being placed into an envelop for delivery?

This reeks of yet another trolling alternate / alias account.
+1

When I applied for my Biz Gold last month, it took a total of 8 days (7 business days) before it arrived in the mail. Applied on a Monday, on Tuesday I called in and the agent said I was already approved the day before and card has been sent out. Didn't receive the physical card until the following Tuesday.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2003
3009 posts
1629 upvotes
Oh, you guys didn't know? Becky lives beside the G & D facility in Markham and they just handed it to her hot off the press.

LMAO. This sh!t keeps getting better and better.
Loose lips sink ships. | His Majesty's Naval Service
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2007
6041 posts
2750 upvotes
Vancouver
We applied for 2 amex gold cards within past 2 weeks and both arrived in 5 business days (FedEx) from date of approval.

It could had been 3 business days. FedEx just dropped at my door without ringing bell so not sure when it actually arrived.
Deal Addict
Aug 23, 2004
1479 posts
85 upvotes
Etobicoke, ON
coleworld wrote: I have had a recent experience of getting them on the first statement after spending the $500 for the personal card.

But... I have also had times where it took months, especially in the case of referral bonuses being posted
Yeah, this is a referral. I'll have to wait than.
bemat786 wrote: I just transferred canadian amex mr to avios and it took 6 days. I transferred last week on wednesday and received the points on tuesday this week. Last time it was faster though.
Thanks for the info.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)