Home & Garden

Viking has impressive timing: Had 5-yr extended warranty. Defective @ 5 yrs 1 month

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 14th, 2015 8:40 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
20353 posts
6537 upvotes
Toronto

Viking has impressive timing: Had 5-yr extended warranty. Defective @ 5 yrs 1 month

Bought an all gas Viking 30" range against my better judgement. My wife liked its look, but I was looking at spending less. After reading about mediocre reviews I decided to pay for the $275 extended warranty, for a total of 5 years. Glad I did, since in the first and second year on broil the thing was overheating and shutting down. After several repairs, it was finally fully fixed, about 2-3 years ago.

Well, my warranty just ran out last month, and now it's doing the exact same thing, one month later.

I'll call, but I'm assuming the company won't do any more free repairs now that the warranty is officially up. If they don't I suspect the repair will be in the $300-500 range if it's the same issue as before. If I fix it, I suspect it will do the same thing in a couple of years.

I am debating fixing this vs. just buying another gas range. WWYD? I kinda want to do a kitchen reno in 5 years, so I wouldn't want to spend big bux. My wife doesn't want to part with the look though. Any recommendations for similar look at a lesser price? Mind you, if I could get another 3 years out of a $300 fix then I wouldn't be doing too bad I suppose.

Ours looks like this:

BTW, we have a fugly white GE Profile gas stove in the basement, which was used for in our main kitchen for about 12 years. It still works fine after 17 years.
33 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2008
1118 posts
556 upvotes
Edmonton
If you have a working gas stove in the basement and you figured you want to do a reno in the future, why bother trying to fix the stove when it could crap out on you again. You have no guarantee the fix would be permanent as it's history has shown, so any $$$ spent on it may just a waste. Use the old one, and buy a new one when you do the remodel.
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2004
1561 posts
328 upvotes
Ajax
Costco bluestar ranges are decent. We have 30" and love it.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
20353 posts
6537 upvotes
Toronto
I suggested a Blue Star way back when, but the wife vetoed that. She didn't like the open burners. However, I see now they have sealed burner models. Hmmm... Interesting. I will take her to have a look.

The Bluestar also has two advantages over our Viking. The Viking has 4 x 15000 BTU. So, for boiling hot water it's good, but could be better. The Bluestar has two 18000 BTU burners. For simmering on small pots though, the Viking is annoying. The flame is wide which makes it hard to use small pots, and it's hard to keep really low for simmering. The Bluestar has a small 5000 BTU burner, which solves both problems.

Costco's delivery to the threshold is kind of annoying though. Can't they at least deliver into the house?!? Also, do they do installs?

I was thinking of maybe fixing the Viking and sticking it in the basement, because it looks a lot better than the current one down there, but I trust that ugly one downstairs more than the Viking. It'd be good for resale I suppose, but I plan on living here another 20 years at least anyway.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
24105 posts
9566 upvotes
Socially Distanced
I would get this one fixed, it may be annoying but far cheaper over time then replacement, it sounds like so far your out more headache then money.

Tell her you will pay this time but next time your replacing it unless she cuts her spending by an equivalent amount to pay for the repair (and future repairs) since she is the one insisting on having this failure prone model.
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2008
2222 posts
619 upvotes
Acton, Ontario
When we bought our Bluestar Costco only had the option for 6'' back panel, so we decided to get it from a retail store so it would come with island back panel.
Also I think I paid around the same or cheaper than Costco and they delivered the stove right into our kitchen.
I'm a die hard Costco fan, but it is one of the very few times that I bought an item from a different store even though Costco was an option.
Jun 5, 2011
859 posts
173 upvotes
LONDON
EugW wrote: Bought an all gas Viking 30" range against my better judgement. My wife liked its look, but I was looking at spending less. After reading about mediocre reviews I decided to pay for the $275 extended warranty, for a total of 5 years. Glad I did, since in the first and second year on broil the thing was overheating and shutting down. After several repairs, it was finally fully fixed, about 2-3 years ago.

Well, my warranty just ran out last month, and now it's doing the exact same thing, one month later.

I'll call, but I'm assuming the company won't do any more free repairs now that the warranty is officially up. If they don't I suspect the repair will be in the $300-500 range if it's the same issue as before. If I fix it, I suspect it will do the same thing in a couple of years.

I am debating fixing this vs. just buying another gas range. WWYD? I kinda want to do a kitchen reno in 5 years, so I wouldn't want to spend big bux. My wife doesn't want to part with the look though. Any recommendations for similar look at a lesser price? Mind you, if I could get another 3 years out of a $300 fix then I wouldn't be doing too bad I suppose.

Ours looks like this:

BTW, we have a fugly white GE Profile gas stove in the basement, which was used for in our main kitchen for about 12 years. It still works fine after 17 years.
get a new wife. problem solved.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16731 posts
2409 upvotes
You should demand that Viking fix the issue for FREE since it is the exact same problem as you had previously.
Deal Guru
May 1, 2012
10300 posts
10495 upvotes
Toronto
coolspot wrote: You should demand that Viking fix the issue for FREE since it is the exact same problem as you had previously.
9/10 that demand will not work. They'll just state the obvious (out of warranty) and tell you to have a nice day.
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
16722 posts
11459 upvotes
Markham
coolspot wrote: You should demand that Viking fix the issue for FREE since it is the exact same problem as you had previously.
+1 Especially if it's the same part. You have to be calm and cool though in your "demands". Try to at least get them to cover half of the repair. I did this with Dell on a Laptop was out of warranty. I reasoned with them saying I was a loyal customer and I buy a fair amount of stuff and it shouldn't break down that fast etc....n the end I paid roughly half of the true cost of the repair.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
20353 posts
6537 upvotes
Toronto
Score!!!

I called in and it turns out the January date was the original invoice date, but the final invoice date was early March (I think because there was a delay before I could actually get the product). The warranty date I had on my documentation was based on the initial date, which is incorrect for the true warranty date. So, I still have a few weeks left in my warranty.

So, I should be able to get this fixed for free. :D
May 28, 2012
11695 posts
4238 upvotes
Saskatoon
EugW wrote: Score!!!

I called in and it turns out the January date was the original invoice date, but the final invoice date was early March (I think because there was a delay before I could actually get the product). The warranty date I had on my documentation was based on the initial date, which is incorrect for the true warranty date. So, I still have a few weeks left in my warranty.

So, I should be able to get this fixed for free. :D
I wonder if you could ask to put on your file about this being a reoccurring issue? I have heard about people getting replacements for appliances (perhaps prorated, not sure) because they bought a lemon. I know it's luck of the draw whether you get a good appliance these days, but reading about your experience just about guarantees I won't consider buying Viking in the future.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
20353 posts
6537 upvotes
Toronto
Yeah, I told them this is a recurring issue. Also, the service company is the same one I dealt with several years ago, and they should have record of it already.

BTW, some of the repair guys I spoke with aren't necessarily impressed with so-called high-end brands in general, because they say they don't actually consistently last longer than mid-end brands, but cost more for parts. What you're mainly paying for is aesthetics and features, as well as brand recognition.

However, what I also noted was several felt that Viking was a lower quality "high-end" brand as compared to some others. This is of course just personal anecdotal observation on their part, but I tend to trust these repair guys' experience. That said, Viking is often cheaper than some of the other high end brands. Bluestar is much cheaper for street pricing (partially because of Costco), but I was looking at Miele and their cheapest 30" gas range is $9000. Ouch.

http://miele.ca/en/Product/Details/1048

If I were to buy another, I'd give the Bluestar sealed burner model a try. The reviews on that are also inconsistent, but the cost is much more reasonable. I can understand my wife's dislike of open burner stoves though. I'd be fine with it, but honestly they look a little too industrial for many people's tastes.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
20353 posts
6537 upvotes
Toronto
rkanwar109 wrote: just get a wolf and be done with it
Except that according to my repair guys, Wolf is only a little bit better in terms of repair records. Somewhat better than Viking maybe, but not any better than many other brands out there.

If I bought a Wolf, I'd get an extended warranty too.

BTW, Miele currently has a 5-year warranty promotion on all its fridges. However, their fridges are quite expensive, so you're paying for it anyway. I saw some gorgeous Mieles in-store when I bought my dishwasher, and IMO their hinge system is beefier than some other brands, but the double fridge setup I thought was the most beautiful would cost over $20000. Uh, no thanks.
May 29, 2003
462 posts
48 upvotes
Aurora
So instead of paying $300-$500 you wan to pay a couple of thousand for a new range that you might also get rid of in a few years :facepalm:
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
20353 posts
6537 upvotes
Toronto
canuckgirl wrote: So instead of paying $300-$500 you wan to pay a couple of thousand for a new range that you might also get rid of in a few years :facepalm:
As mentioned, actually I'm getting the repair done free, so I'll keep the Viking.

However, there are other disadvantages to the Viking, including for example crappy simmering and too wide a flame for small pots. It's not a deal killer, but it's a continual annoyance.

Right now sometimes what I do for small pots for lower heat, is offset the pot. So most of the flame is wasted, and only one side of the pot is heated. One solution to this though might be to buy a burner plate / simmer diffuser. This would be an under $50 solution.

[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
20353 posts
6537 upvotes
Toronto
Anikiri wrote: Check out the Youtube Video comparing Bluestar with Wolf. Bluestar wins hands down, especially with the simmer options.

Bluestar = Garland

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJvKZiOQesg
Thanks. I've seen that video before, but in our decision making that video would not be relevant. It's using the Bluestar open burner. However, for us, the open burner model is not an option. The only option would be the Bluestar sealed burner, and the shape of the flame is completely different. (When we bought, Bluestar sealed burner models didn't exist.) But that's OK, since the Bluestar sealed version does have a dedicated 5000 BTU simmer burner anyway.

Link to very large pic of Bluestar sealed burner: http://www.ajmadison.com/ajmadison/imag ... _34d47.jpg
Deal Addict
May 2, 2011
1206 posts
390 upvotes
Oakville, ON
I bought a Bluestar range from Costco and love it. The wife initially didn't like the open burners, but we find it's easier to keep clean. All of the larger crumbs and other stuff just falls into a pan below the burners. Everything else is vaporized through the cooking process. I prefer the open burner look, but that's personal preference.

At least you found a cheap solution other than dropping $3k on another range.