• Last Updated:
  • Apr 29th, 2018 11:52 am
[OP]
Jul 17, 2011
20 posts
31 upvotes
Markham

Village Grocer (Markham) charging 1% on all Credit Card Purchases

Don't normally post here, but thought I would warn all that Village Grocer is now charging 1% on your total for using any credit card (Visa, MC, etc) (ALL AMOUNTS)
This is on top of their already outrageous prices. I was very surprised, my bill was $150, so lucky I had some cash and just paid cash.

Can't believe I am saying this but Whole Foods is a better deal for groceries!

Hope that Helps
30 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2017
1264 posts
1246 upvotes
Found their explanation on their website

A few changes are in the works…you are all no doubt aware of the new Ontario labour regulations (Bill C-148) with the obvious (and sometimes less obvious) change that it will bring to almost every workplace in the Province, including ours. The impact of this legislation on our store will be considerable because we have quite a few entry-level jobs, and our business involves a great deal of handmade work that is difficult to do otherwise. The ramifications are fairly wide-ranging for us and our industry, as these new costs will be absorbed into the production and handling charges of products and ingredients that we buy, plus the higher labour costs will have to be added. All these changes will take some time, and no doubt there will be some surprises along the way. At the same time, I want to say that we really value the folk who have chosen to work with us, and don’t wish in any way to place this burden on them. Further, we are not about to change our products or our level and quality of service.

In an attempt to balance at least some of these costs, we’ve decided to finally institute a plastic bag charge that we have resisted for a long time. It will be 5 cents, pretty much the same as everyone else, and just so you know, that doesn’t even cover the cost of our bags. I encourage you to bring your own if you can. The second change is implementing a credit card surcharge of 1%, which will not cover but rather mitigate the fees we pay the credit card companies. As any long-time supporters would know, we have only accepted credit cards in the last 5 years, and we have seen the handling fees for these balloon to what is now almost $200,000 per year; all despite our efforts to procure the best deal possible. There will be no surcharge for debit card payments, which we encourage you to consider.

We greatly value the privilege of serving you and your family here in Unionville, and as such, we felt it was important to explain our situation to you. We very much appreciate your understanding.

These changes will be effective starting February 20th, 2018
[OP]
Jul 17, 2011
20 posts
31 upvotes
Markham
Thanks

I could understand this explanation if this was a Dollar Store, where the margins are tight. Village Grocer is a luxury grocer store, they charge a premium, so to get the 1% extra charge is not right. The $150 I spent yesterday at Village Grocer would have been $100 at Fresco and $120 at whole foods (after Amazon bought them). Neither Fresco or Whole Foods charge a 1% on Credit Card Purchases. Village Grocer should not need to add 1%, if they do then they are poorly managed. Clearly I will be avoiding VG now!
Deal Addict
May 17, 2012
2595 posts
1430 upvotes
ontario
dealman1 wrote: Clearly I will be avoiding VG now!
Voting with your dollar$ is always best!
Banned
Dec 25, 2017
686 posts
485 upvotes
Rockwood
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I'm fairly confident a store can't charge a fee if you use a credit card, it's against the rules of credit card companies and you can report it. What they will do I have no idea, most likely speak with them and if complaints continue they will stop allowing that store to accept credit cards.

I get that stores need to make changes to recoup some money but as anyone who knows a business knows some expenses are just part of being in business. They're crying about how the 5 cent fee doesn't cover the bag cost I mean come on.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
16787 posts
7027 upvotes
None12 wrote: Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I'm fairly confident a store can't charge a fee if you use a credit card, it's against the rules of credit card companies and you can report it. What they will do I have no idea, most likely speak with them and if complaints continue they will stop allowing that store to accept credit cards.

I get that stores need to make changes to recoup some money but as anyone who knows a business knows some expenses are just part of being in business. They're crying about how the 5 cent fee doesn't cover the bag cost I mean come on.
There are ways around this where you charge a "convenience fee" and it's perfectly acceptable. You can still report it - but just be aware there are exceptions that are allowed. I'm not familiar enough to know who can apply to have a convenience fee, if they can change what that fee is, etc.
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2001
1072 posts
410 upvotes
Toronto
TrevorK wrote: There are ways around this where you charge a "convenience fee" and it's perfectly acceptable. You can still report it - but just be aware there are exceptions that are allowed. I'm not familiar enough to know who can apply to have a convenience fee, if they can change what that fee is, etc.
I wouldn't be surprised if they just raised all their prices by 1 % to make everyone pay if that's the case.
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
4745 posts
4348 upvotes
None12 wrote: Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I'm fairly confident a store can't charge a fee if you use a credit card, it's against the rules of credit card companies and you can report it. What they will do I have no idea, most likely speak with them and if complaints continue they will stop allowing that store to accept credit cards.
Look at the ads for those electronics liquidation places (TechSource, Factory Direct etc) and in the fine print it'll say "Prices are 3% cash discounted" and that there's a 3% surcharge applied if you use a credit card. Been going on for years... If they can do it so can Village Grocer and anybody else.
Deal Guru
Jan 9, 2011
11062 posts
13557 upvotes
Vancouver
There's a difference between offering a cash discount (permitted) and a credit card surcharge (not permitted.)

That said, surcharges for using premium credit cards is something we all will have to get used to in the near future, possibly within the next year. https://www.ctvnews.ca/business/merchan ... -1.3459584
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
14210 posts
8305 upvotes
Toronto
Sounds like a reasonable move by the grocer as a result of the new minimum wage rates.

They could have just as easily increased their prices for everything 1%

You still have the option to pay cash or use a CC like the Scotiabank Momentum Infinite that gives you 4% cash back
Deal Addict
May 23, 2014
1227 posts
799 upvotes
canada
Lmao did they really say 0.05 cents doesn’t cover the cost of the plastic bag ? Hahhhaah. Every grocer store makes $ hard cash ROi on reselling plastic bags . They buy them for less then 0.01. Superstore and Walmart. I’m sure these nimbus’s at this from what I gather over priced store can get a rate where they’d make double what they paid. The use of the words handcrafted and handmade in the company’s letter shows they r the those who actually sheepishly value words like vintage, handmade, handcrafted and imported lol. With idiots like like that running the company it’s not secret as to why they are in the sitch that they are.

I could get a 0.025 rate over night on plastic bags lol by the way plastic bags are much healthier for humans then re-using bags. People get Way sicker from reusable bags

You have to be a raw dummy to shop somewhere that charges 10-15% even more then Whole Foods lol
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1568 posts
199 upvotes
Markham, ON
Hoping the village grocer did not get their entire computer system hacked by a bunch of international criminal and putting words in their mouth all over the internet and ruining their internal computer system as well.

I don't shop there.
Deal Guru
Apr 4, 2001
11651 posts
507 upvotes
Kiraly wrote: There's a difference between offering a cash discount (permitted) and a credit card surcharge (not permitted.)
There's not, really - the store can say that all of their advertised prices are the cash-discounted price and that the regular price (i.e. if not using cash) is 1% more.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13574 posts
2374 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Report it to the credit card company. Also, try and get a refund from the credit card on those charges.
De gustibus non est disputandum
[OP]
Jul 17, 2011
20 posts
31 upvotes
Markham
Thanks to everyone on this thread.

I did report it to my credit card company. They said that essentially as long as the Merchant discloses this to you ahead of time, there is not much you can do, aside from walking away from the purchase. I will now stop shopping at this grocer.

One last comment, if (according to their own web site) their credit card charges/year are $200K then I am guessing their revenue/year is $15-20MM, so this is not a small merchant and this is all about greed.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2004
5225 posts
641 upvotes
dealman1 wrote: Thanks

I could understand this explanation if this was a Dollar Store, where the margins are tight. Village Grocer is a luxury grocer store, they charge a premium, so to get the 1% extra charge is not right. The $150 I spent yesterday at Village Grocer would have been $100 at Fresco and $120 at whole foods (after Amazon bought them). Neither Fresco or Whole Foods charge a 1% on Credit Card Purchases. Village Grocer should not need to add 1%, if they do then they are poorly managed. Clearly I will be avoiding VG now!

It's just the cost of doing business. They need to absorb the cost. I've heard it actually costs more money per year to handle cash. All the counting (labour) and depositing and bank fees.

Also the funny thing is Dollarama and Dollar Tree both accept credit cards.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2013
4191 posts
823 upvotes
Richmond
thesick wrote: Lmao did they really say 0.05 cents doesn’t cover the cost of the plastic bag ? Hahhhaah. Every grocer store makes $ hard cash ROi on reselling plastic bags . They buy them for less then 0.01. Superstore and Walmart. I’m sure these nimbus’s at this from what I gather over priced store can get a rate where they’d make double what they paid. The use of the words handcrafted and handmade in the company’s letter shows they r the those who actually sheepishly value words like vintage, handmade, handcrafted and imported lol. With idiots like like that running the company it’s not secret as to why they are in the sitch that they are.

I could get a 0.025 rate over night on plastic bags lol by the way plastic bags are much healthier for humans then re-using bags. People get Way sicker from reusable bags

You have to be a raw dummy to shop somewhere that charges 10-15% even more then Whole Foods lol
and they call whole foods whole paycheck
Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
19954 posts
7422 upvotes
Toronto
Report it to the credit card companies.

I use credit only, so I simply wouldn't be shopping there anymore.

If they told me at whole in line, I'd leave all the groceries right there and walk away lol
RedFlagDeals Addict
Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
19954 posts
7422 upvotes
Toronto
Google review them
RedFlagDeals Addict