• Last Updated:
  • Aug 13th, 2021 5:36 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Sep 13, 2007
10 posts
2 upvotes

Vinegar for weeds ??

In 2017 I had a bone marrow transplant & was told by Cancer Care doctors that I should never use herbicides (especially Roundup which they said I should remove from my place immediately & never have even someone else spray my yard). I have tried the 10% vinegar-salt-Dawn dish soap method & within a few hours the weeds wilted. I was very pleased & as we had a severe drought in Manitoba the weeds were crunching under my feet & I thought they were done. However in early July we got 1/2" of rain & a few of the weeds reshowed some sign of life. Recently we got a couple of inches more precip. & most of the weeds returned to full form with some already blooming! I'm wondering has anyone had luck with the vinegar & if so how? Maybe several applications would work or am I wasting my time? Thanks in advance.
32 replies
Dec 18, 2017
240 posts
136 upvotes
GVA
Weed Torch. Of course discretion is to be used if extra dry and fuel is nearby. I torch, then spray with a hose. Works great for gardens and on pavement/pavers. Not great for lawns so a traditional weeder is better like Kr0zet shows above.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
8040 posts
9015 upvotes
Montréal
I use a 50 - 50 mix of bleach and hot water. works well between pavers. Of course, weeds come back, like it would with RoundUp. To remove weeds from the lawn, I use the exact tool that the pic above points to. This tool remove a large chunk of lawn, leaving large holes though...
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2011
7175 posts
9149 upvotes
The NORTH
TheGreatGazoo wrote: Weed Torch. Of course discretion is to be used if extra dry and fuel is nearby. I torch, then spray with a hose. Works great for gardens and on pavement/pavers. Not great for lawns so a traditional weeder is better like Kr0zet shows above.
Weed Torch?

Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
9963 posts
4247 upvotes
Vaughan
Vinegar mix with salt will kill weeds but make sure no grass near it. I use that for few years. Cheap and safe.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2015
2964 posts
1539 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Vinegar, “Dawn*”, flames and all the other things like that are just contact killers. They’ll destroy the leaves but won’t be transported to the roots so are basically useless against most weeds. They may work if you’re consistent and persistent, using them every time you see any sign of life until the weed dies, but that could take years if it’s remotely established.

Most synthetic weedkillers on the other hand are systemic - they’re designed to be absorbed and taken down to the roots, killing the whole plant. They work, with far less toxicity than many of the “natural” weed killers. Some of the “natural” ones will also damage the soil far more than the “synthetic” ones.

Here’s an example of the above: The “natural” weedkillers look like they work better than Roundup at first, but it’s because they’re just killing the top growth. New growth just comes up from the undamaged roots.

Here’s a more detailed write up of the difference (and where the images comes from) - https://www.gardenmyths.com/natural-wee ... erbicides/

That’s not to say don’t use them - use what you want - just understand the limitations and the potential dangers of “natural” chemicals. They can be worse than the “synthetic” varieties.

If you don’t want to use weed killers then digging is going to be the best option (that tool above for example). Alternatively you can use heat and suffocate the weeds - cover the area in plastic/old carpet and leave for a few months or so. The latter is more useful if you want to sterilise a large area. You may have to do it several times as each set of weed seeds germinate.

*Why is it always Dawn, was there some large advertising campaign in the past to drum up sales for that specific brand? All other non bleach containing dish washing soaps are fine too...
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
8040 posts
9015 upvotes
Montréal
Andy34 wrote: Vinegar, “Dawn*”, flames and all the other things like that are just contact killers. They’ll destroy the leaves but won’t be transported to the roots so are basically useless against most weeds. They may work if you’re consistent and persistent, using them every time you see any sign of life until the weed dies, but that could take years if it’s remotely established.

Most synthetic weedkillers on the other hand are systemic - they’re designed to be absorbed and taken down to the roots, killing the whole plant. They work, with far less toxicity than many of the “natural” weed killers. Some of the “natural” ones will also damage the soil far more than the “synthetic” ones.

Here’s an example of the above: The “natural” weedkillers look like they work better than Roundup at first, but it’s because they’re just killing the top growth. New growth just comes up from the undamaged roots.

Here’s a more detailed write up of the difference (and where the images comes from) - https://www.gardenmyths.com/natural-wee ... erbicides/

That’s not to say don’t use them - use what you want - just understand the limitations and the potential dangers of “natural” chemicals. They can be worse than the “synthetic” varieties.

If you don’t want to use weed killers then digging is going to be the best option (that tool above for example). Alternatively you can use heat and suffocate the weeds - cover the area in plastic/old carpet and leave for a few months or so. The latter is more useful if you want to sterilise a large area. You may have to do it several times as each set of weed seeds germinate.

*Why is it always Dawn, was there some large advertising campaign in the past to drum up sales for that specific brand? All other non bleach containing dish washing soaps are fine too...
I don't mid applying a more bio recipe every few weeks than using that glyphosate crap in my yard
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2015
2964 posts
1539 upvotes
Calgary, AB
DoorCrasher wrote: I don't mid applying a more bio recipe every few weeks than using that glyphosate crap in my yard
Roundup isn’t the only weedkiller available. It’s also less damaging long term to you soil than things like bleach and salt.

I’m not a widespread users of weedkiller btw, I use it extremely sparingly on specific noxious weeds. It rather use roundup than many of the more damaging “natural” chemicals.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19448 posts
22565 upvotes
GTA
Andy34 wrote: Vinegar, “Dawn*”, flames and all the other things like that are just contact killers. They’ll destroy the leaves but won’t be transported to the roots so are basically useless against most weeds. They may work if you’re consistent and persistent, using them every time you see any sign of life until the weed dies, but that could take years if it’s remotely established.

It's too bad they didn't test iron based sprays like Fiesta. Would be nice to see how it compares.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Mar 14, 2018
946 posts
902 upvotes
GTA
With non synthetic solutions, it will be a never ending battle... maybe you might consider hiring a lawncare company that can spray weeds regularly so you can forget about it. Of course in your case you can make sure the company only uses organic solutions like Fiesta.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19448 posts
22565 upvotes
GTA
robsaw wrote: They did test with iron HEDTA in a parallel experiment. Weeds grew back too.

https://issuu.com/capcaadviser/docs/202 ... 020_web/24
Thanks. In those studies, it does look like Weed Slayer 6% eugenol; Bacillus megaterium, works pretty well, as good or better than glyphosate/glufosinate.
https://ucanr.edu/sites/sjcoeh/files/325341.pdf
https://www.agroresearchinternational.com/weed-slayer
Not as cheap as glyphosate ($0.32-$0.80/1000sqft) but cheaper than most natural stuff at $2.64/1000sqft https://www.arbico-organics.com/product ... ed-control

I can't seem to find a Canadian source though.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2011
1881 posts
1044 upvotes
London
I just wanted to congratulate you on a successful transplant! Hope that you continue to do well.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
8040 posts
9015 upvotes
Montréal
Andy34 wrote: Roundup isn’t the only weedkiller available. It’s also less damaging long term to you soil than things like bleach and salt.

I’m not a widespread users of weedkiller btw, I use it extremely sparingly on specific noxious weeds. It rather use roundup than many of the more damaging “natural” chemicals.
oundup is the only effective weed killer available in many places in Canada. Alberta did nnot ban 2-4D ? Mecoprop? Dicamba?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
7540 posts
8112 upvotes
Vancouver
Any substance that kills plants is not good for your body if you ingest it or get it on your skin in sufficient quantity/concentration, even if it's "natural" or "organic".

For spot weeds, use mechanical spot removal like the weed puller above. Unfortunately if doesn't work between paving stones because the gap is too narrow for it to fit - you'd have to get in there with a screwdriver.

2,4-D is an effective weed killer for spraying a larger area, way more effective than the weak alternatives. It's safe if used as directed (the Ontario ban was an old mistake based on bad science that should have been corrected long ago). It decays in the environment after a couple of days, so it doesn't persist after damaging the weeds. But just do it once and don't over-use it - weeds adapt like all living things, survival of the fittest. If your weeds come back, it's because conditions favour them, and you should change the conditions.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2015
2964 posts
1539 upvotes
Calgary, AB
DoorCrasher wrote: oundup is the only effective weed killer available in many places in Canada. Alberta did nnot ban 2-4D ? Mecoprop? Dicamba?
No, they're not banned. But you're right, some places in Canada have restricted many other synthetic weedkillers to homeowners due to overuse.
Deal Addict
May 21, 2015
1201 posts
805 upvotes
Sarnia, ON
I noticed that the current Round Up Advanced products on sale here in Ontario state Acetic acid , a component of vinegars, as an ingredient.
Feb 20, 2019
315 posts
106 upvotes
Hows Weed b gon? i used it last week and seems like it killing the weeds? does it kill the roots or just the leafs?