Vintage radio console im going to pick up

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 13th, 2021 9:12 am
[OP]
Dec 8, 2020
42 posts
11 upvotes

Vintage radio console im going to pick up

Ive been wanting one for a while. Hard to Find one that works anyway. The guy had it listed at 40 but i said 50 to make sure i would get it. He said everything works.
Ive looked online but cant get a bead on the year but im assuming im getting a good deal. It looks like theirs headphones inside too.
Images
  • E8D28815-B9F5-4B70-A0DE-7269483F10CE.png
  • 4F7069E8-F1E6-4A49-89CE-6CF801B5FABD.png
14 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
7984 posts
2679 upvotes
Maple
Nice looking, it works, make it better!
[OP]
Dec 8, 2020
42 posts
11 upvotes
Unfortunately I don’t think the record player is turning around. I’m going out to get a record. But when you tap it you can hear the sound coming through the speakers. It has the original headphone and Mike as well. He’s delivering it so everything included I’m in $60. I hope I get it working. I tried to upload a video of it but guess u cant fo that.
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
12944 posts
2229 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
Turntable may just need regreasing.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2011
1717 posts
729 upvotes
I have always loved these. I have one at home and one stored at my moms house. They aren't super valuable so the price you paid seems fair.
-----------------------------------------------------

"It's better to be dead and cool...than alive and uncool!"
[OP]
Dec 8, 2020
42 posts
11 upvotes
I got it delivered and was playing around with it and am shocked as the sound from this. It sounds better like an expensive surround sound system. It has a bunch of levers to control sound including control bass and treble and about 8 different touch sensors (weird that the they had that technology back then) that light up when lightly touched. Say if you want mono or stereo or fm or phono etc.
The front panel where the speakers are on each side has a lever that moves so the panels can be opened and closed so you can angle them making the sound even louder and vibrant. I have not tried the headphones or mike that go with it. Literally have looked at many though out the years and none as advanced technology wise as this.
Im REALLY curious now the details to this so any ideas of how to get that info would be great.
May 31, 2008
97 posts
92 upvotes
It looks like a Z966 Zenith Stereo Console and was out in the late 1960s early 70s. These old cabinet things are great, some used to have mini bars! My parents had something like this as a kid and the sound was very impressive.
If the turntable is not working it might just need a belt assuming it is belt-driven. Just pull off the platter and you will see where it goes. You can order the belt from Amazon or Best buy should have them too. Enjoy!
(p.s If you want to show a video, just upload it to youtube and put the link in your post)

Here is a video of a similar one with the controls you describe:
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
12944 posts
2229 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
Pretty cool. Yours came with an 8-track player?

Funny, but that kind of cabinet form-factor was standard, until Pioneer (according to them) came along and starting having the speakers separate.
[OP]
Dec 8, 2020
42 posts
11 upvotes
I thought it was an eight track. My mistake. I looked closely and it says stereo tape cassette recorder.
I don’t understand that because I didn’t think tapes cassettes were invented then. I would think that it would eat tapes so I’m afraid to put anything in there. It doesn’t even look like you could put a cassette in there.

So aside from that I went and bought some records. Any idea of where to Greece or lube anything so that way I can get the thing going around.
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2001
15718 posts
2344 upvotes
Heh, I think my in-laws still have something similar in their rec room.Slightly Smiling Face
Whenever someone asks a question that starts with "Why do they..." or "Why don't they...", the answer is always a) money, b) stupidity, or c) both.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
19033 posts
6888 upvotes
Socially Distanced
Looks awesome, i used to have a similar one long ago.
If you lived near me i would give you some old cassettes i don't use anymore to see if your cassette player still works.
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburders eat people
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
12944 posts
2229 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
I guess it loads like some old car decks. The cassette loads with the tape-side facing in. Come to think of it, it's like front-loading VHS recorders, except a lot less smooth.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2004
4119 posts
695 upvotes
Toronto
Use caution with the record player part of it -- the needle could be in really rough shape, and potentially destroy your records.
[OP]
Dec 8, 2020
42 posts
11 upvotes
I just grabbed some at a second hand store for 50 c each. Love that video! Very helpful!