• Nov 2nd, 2020 5:18 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2013
1095 posts
433 upvotes
WATERLOO

Vinyl flooring for concrete basement

I’m in the process of finishing up my basement and need to finalize vinyl flooring over concrete floors.
Currently working with a budget of $5/sq ft which includes vinyl and installation. For subfloor I’m going to be going with DMX 1 step 2.0. Won’t be putting OSB on top and dri core is too costly.
Was looking at Torlys everwood but they recommend not putting on dmx as it voids the warranty and could be too squishy.
I’m looking to get the thickest vinyl (~7mm) I can find. Since I have dmx, is it necessary to still put an underlayment if it’s not included on the vinyl? I’m concerned about cold floors
5 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
4959 posts
1839 upvotes
It would be advised to have raised flooring then a sheet of OSB and then lay your thin vinyl flooring.

Either you cheap out and get cold floors (which is your concern) ... or suck it up ... pay a bit more ... and have warmer flooring in the basement.
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2013
1438 posts
1831 upvotes
jdmfishingonly wrote: It would be advised to have raised flooring then a sheet of OSB and then lay your thin vinyl flooring.

Either you cheap out and get cold floors (which is your concern) ... or suck it up ... pay a bit more ... and have warmer flooring in the basement.

Dont know how op's house is built but we have a 2 inch rigid foam insulation under our basement slab. I understand this is how most house are built these days.
I got away with using just a cheap regular underlay under the laminate flooring and it never gets cold at all.
Jan 12, 2009
101 posts
46 upvotes
Vaughan, ON
We had vinyl installed in our basement last year with the DMX under it as our subfloor. It was laid directly on the concrete and seems to do a pretty good job of keeping the cold out.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7402 posts
4670 upvotes
Victoria, BC
We had vinyl floor (the thickest rolled vinyl that looks like wood) in our basement in Ottawa. It worked great, and was warm under foot, etc.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2013
1095 posts
433 upvotes
WATERLOO
Which vinyl did you get and how thick is it? Did it come with build in underpays as well?

settons wrote: We had vinyl installed in our basement last year with the DMX under it as our subfloor. It was laid directly on the concrete and seems to do a pretty good job of keeping the cold out.