Vinyl Plank Recommendations

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 13th, 2021 1:11 pm
[OP]
Jan 19, 2003
789 posts
203 upvotes

Vinyl Plank Recommendations

We're looking to put floating vinyl plank floors in our house. Totally overwhelmed by the number of brands available.

I've seen the Torlys line referred to a few times.

Anyone have brand recommendations? We're looking for a white oak colour and one that isn't too slippery (I've read this is a con with some brands)

Thanks!
24 replies
Feb 2, 2021
23 posts
14 upvotes
Interested in this too. The lifeproof stuff at HD seems to have good reviews but I don’t have comparison to others.
Dec 5, 2009
814 posts
810 upvotes
We purchased coretec premium plus - Cyril oak. It’s going in next week but we found it to be quite similar to a contemporary white oak look (minimal knots, cathedrals, etc).
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2004
1088 posts
539 upvotes
Longueuil
I got samples from Torlys. You can get them from their web site, shipping is free (and there was a promotion for the samples themselves to be free as well but I believe this promo might be over) and you get a $50 rebate. The quality seems really great.

Personally I would go for SPC (stone) vinyl planks instead of WPC (wood) for extra durability, regardless of the brand. Simply make sure to read the specifications to get that information because it is not always explicit.

For Torlys, RigidWood is SPC while EverWood is WPC.
Try not! Do or do not, there is no try...
[OP]
Jan 19, 2003
789 posts
203 upvotes
Thanks for this! They have a promo for 5 free samples, but shipping is not free. I'll bite the bullet and pay.

Anyone else have brand recommendations?
Mar 15, 2007
559 posts
132 upvotes
Toronto
We recently installed Twelve Oaks SureWood line in a rental condo and the quality seems quite good. The specs are similar to Torly's in terms of thickness, locking system and cork underlay, hopefully the durability is good.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2008
1742 posts
776 upvotes
Toronto
vg19 wrote: Thanks for this! They have a promo for 5 free samples, but shipping is not free. I'll bite the bullet and pay.

Anyone else have brand recommendations?
We purchased our Torlys from Speers Flooring in Oakville. They were wonderful and pricing was competitive. Recommended!
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
14247 posts
9021 upvotes
Markham
HIghly recommend you watch this. Jeff is from Ottawa so this is Cdn content.

We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Dec 29, 2019
132 posts
42 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
I am going to be ordering Torlys Rigidwood Flex Elite in Trafalgar (looks like grey white wood). Something solid, waterproof, antimicrobial, and built in underlayment.

I drove myself pretty batty reading brochures of a bunch of LVP brands and settled on Torlys, but I think Twleve Oaks is really good too (and is a Canadian company?).
[OP]
Jan 19, 2003
789 posts
203 upvotes
Just a brief update, I got samples from Torlys and Twelve Oaks (they are fast! Requested them online, they courier them and were recieved in two days!).

We liked the colour and feel of the Twelve Oaks one better and will be going with them!
Feb 2, 2021
23 posts
14 upvotes
What “features” should I be looking in vinyl plank to mimic wood floors?

I don’t have a lot of experience living with hardwood floors. Some vinyl plank that I have seen feels slippery, some you can really feel the “grain”, some have a sheen. Which features are desirable and which come off as cheap?
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2004
1088 posts
539 upvotes
Longueuil
akashpatel wrote: What “features” should I be looking in vinyl plank to mimic wood floors?

I don’t have a lot of experience living with hardwood floors. Some vinyl plank that I have seen feels slippery, some you can really feel the “grain”, some have a sheen. Which features are desirable and which come off as cheap?
As I said, I would go with SPC instead of WPC since it is higher quality (Jeff from Home Renovision also recommends SPC instead of WPC). As for the "feeling", the best is to go to the store or get samples so that you can see if you like it or not (it is a matter of opinion).
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2004
1088 posts
539 upvotes
Longueuil
Meibatsu wrote: I am going to be ordering Torlys Rigidwood Flex Elite in Trafalgar (looks like grey white wood). Something solid, waterproof, antimicrobial, and built in underlayment.

I drove myself pretty batty reading brochures of a bunch of LVP brands and settled on Torlys, but I think Twleve Oaks is really good too (and is a Canadian company?).
I am also going with Trafalgar, it looks really great IMO.
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2004
1088 posts
539 upvotes
Longueuil
ultra wrote: how much is the Rigidwood Flex Elite?
I didn't buy it yet. I am still working on the walls, then it will be ceiling and then floor. I already ordered the sample so that the wall paint can match. But I also contacted 2 stores in my area to make sure that they carry it and they told me they do.
Dec 29, 2019
132 posts
42 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
ultra wrote: how much is the Rigidwood Flex Elite?
For my recent Rigidwood order, it was on average $6.24/SF.

I actually depleted all the stock of the colour I wanted from the flooring place at their sale price of 6.04/SF, so they had to order more at 6.44/SF, but that is with install included. Not sure what it would be without install. Maybe closer to $4/SF.
Jan 22, 2013
221 posts
93 upvotes
Vancouver
vg19 wrote: Just a brief update, I got samples from Torlys and Twelve Oaks (they are fast! Requested them online, they courier them and were recieved in two days!).

We liked the colour and feel of the Twelve Oaks one better and will be going with them!
Which colour and line did you end up going with?