Tags:
None
[OP]
Jan 27, 2007
138 posts
14 upvotes
Gander

vinyl siding issue...

I had a siding and window job completed about 5 years ago. Two years ago I noticed that on the front of the house, the siding really was becoming discolored directly below the windows at strategic points where water would run off the seams between window panes. Now I know the siding would discolor with the sun, but this staining is much different. It appears something maybe is leaching out of the window (chaulking?) and running down the siding and whatever it is, combined with the sun it is creating the mess I am seeing.

I contacted the installler two summers ago and he felt it was the windows. I contacted the window builder and suprise they blamed it on everything but their windows. I have been back to the installer several times and since telling him the window builder said it was not their fault he said he would say nothing more about it (almost like he was told?).

I am now waiting to hear back from the installer as I asked him to contact the vinyl manufacturer. Still havn't heard back and it was a month ago. I tried to get the name myself but the installer has not been around to get it. Everytime I go to the installer and ask for a call when he talks to anyone to call me. He never does.... I also have to go see him.

What is really interesting is that I had vinyl siding on the house with wooden casement windows prior to this install for 25 years and other than fading from the sun, no issues.

I still believe it is coming from the windows.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? Can anyone provide an avenue to explore to try and get some answers on such an issue?

Any help would be appreciated.
2 replies
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
16994 posts
1814 upvotes
Thornhill
Hi!

Should ask to move this thread to the home/garden forum - many more would know there.

Also, if you could post a photo of the affected area and the whole window it would help us get a better idea of what's happening.

bjl
What we do in life echoes in Eternity... and in Google cache.
RFD discounts for Schluter products

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)