Home & Garden

Vinyl Window wont Stay Open -- Repairable or Replace it?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 27th, 2017 3:51 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2010
1022 posts
118 upvotes
London

Vinyl Window wont Stay Open -- Repairable or Replace it?

I have a vinyl double hung window. I have no clue why but the lower sash and upper sash do not remain open -- when i go to slide the lower sash up and expect it to stay in place it does not and promptly falls to the ground. The same is with the upper sash. To prevent the upper sash from falling down we have drove a screw into the frame.

Can this be repaired or do i need a whole new doublehung window? There is no label indicating the make/model/size of the window anywhere. I did have it installed by Home Depot many years ago. Lost the receipt and Home Depot has nothing on file any longer.

Thanks
Last edited by rosario99 on Jul 27th, 2017 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 reply
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
11746 posts
6931 upvotes
Paris
rosario99 wrote: I have a vinyl double hung window. I have no clue why but the lower sash and upper sash do not remain open -- when i go to slide the lower sash up and expect it to stay in place it does not and promptly falls to the ground. The same is with the upper sash. To prevent the upper sash from falling down we have drove a screw into the frame.

Can this be repaired or do i need a whole new doublehung window? There is no label indicating the make/model/size of the window anywhere. I did have it installed by Home Depot many years ago. Lost the receipt and Home Depot has nothing on file any longer.

Thanks
Check if there is a serial number embedded in the glass.

I see people all the time remove tilting double hung windows by tilting them then turning them so they are removable then not putting them back correctly. I see some pictures to help.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)