Virgin bills $8,726 for data

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 9th, 2020 2:03 pm
[OP]
Feb 28, 2012
784 posts
930 upvotes

Virgin bills $8,726 for data

‘I thought it was some sick joke’: Toronto health-care worker hit with $10K cellphone bill

Under Canada’s Wireless Code, which came into effect in 2013, wireless service providers must notify customers about excessive data use to avoid what it called “bill shock.”
While Parrott admitted she asked Virgin to provide more data, she was not told that the consumption was adding up in the thousands of dollars.

Virgin increases data overage to $150/GB, after the mandated pause at the $50 mark.
They also switch up the unit of charge, obfuscating the 50% rate increase.
-
Last edited by pjw918 on Jun 2nd, 2020 12:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.
26 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
3878 posts
2117 upvotes
Gotham
It was $10,147.41 with taxes. Face With Tears Of Joy
But according to Virgin Mobile, Parrott consumed more than 172 gigabytes of data in her May billing cycle
I'm impressed that she could use that much data in a month. I probably used that much in the last ten years!
“I never go over six gigabytes a month,” Parrott said, disputing the phone company’s claim

Virgin Mobile said in a statement that Parrott “reactivated her mobile data after it was blocked at $50 in overage charges and later added more data to her account on a few occasions.”.
:facepalm:
Has this woman ever heard of Wifi?

These sorts of stories are not newsworthy anymore. Had she not been a healthcare worker, Virgin would have f*ucked her over. Although, I think it was her own doing.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
1794 posts
925 upvotes
Calgary
If she "never uses more than 6GB a month " then why was she apparently authorizing more data multiple times?

OK, yes I agree data overage rates are highway robbery, but it's also up to the customer to read their plan details and understand what they are.
[OP]
Feb 28, 2012
784 posts
930 upvotes
batcave wrote: These sorts of stories are not newsworthy anymore. Had she not been a healthcare worker, Virgin would have f*ucked her over. Although, I think it was her own doing.
What should be getting attention is Virgin changing up the overage rate to $150/GB after getting consent at the $50 mark to resume data.
Devhux wrote: If she "never uses more than 6GB a month " then why was she apparently authorizing more data multiple times?
There is one authorization at $50 of data overage, required by the Wireless Code.
For the rest of it you need to dig into the T&C fine print on the website.
Providers aren't required to specify PPU in the wireless agreement.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
17237 posts
7075 upvotes
Oakville
batcave wrote: Has this woman ever heard of Wifi?
She's living apart from her children right now, presumably wherever she relocated to does not have wifi.

172 GB is pretty impressive for a month though. Does she just have video chats running 24/7?
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
20882 posts
2238 upvotes
Toronto
24/7 4K pr0n?

Whelp, looks like VM waived the entire bill....so she is good.

Let’s see what happens next month since the pandemic is still going on!
Dec 6, 2017
747 posts
371 upvotes
Manitoba
Here I was thinking going through my 15gb is already hardcore...
one more deal and I'm out * involuntary tick*.... :twisted:
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
18085 posts
2020 upvotes
Woodbridge
ji2o0k wrote: 24/7 4K pr0n?

Whelp, looks like VM waived the entire bill....so she is good.

Let’s see what happens next month since the pandemic is still going on!
I would be surprised if VM didn't.

Health Care Worker, Covid19. The amount of support they're getting from everyone.

I wonder if any company ever made a customer paid their bill with Thousands in charges.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
3878 posts
2117 upvotes
Gotham
bembol wrote: I would be surprised if VM didn't.

Health Care Worker, Covid19. The amount of support they're getting from everyone.

I wonder if any company ever made a customer paid their bill with Thousands in charges.
Probably the ones that do not make it to the media.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
33438 posts
3612 upvotes
Winnipeg
That is a lot of data on her phone, I don't even use that much some months on my cable. Does this mean it is okay for a health care worker to use as much data for free?
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
17237 posts
7075 upvotes
Oakville
divx wrote: Does this mean it is okay for a health care worker to use as much data for free?
Obviously not. If she does it again, they're definitely not going to waive her bill.
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
33438 posts
3612 upvotes
Winnipeg
wearysky wrote: Obviously not. If she does it again, they're definitely not going to waive her bill.
It feels kinda wrong to have no limit on phone bills even though it is her fault in the first place.
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2015
1927 posts
1449 upvotes
Canada
Its fixed cosst anyway and majority of ppl arent even using their date due to staying home
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2016
1256 posts
1374 upvotes
a lot of people today aren't tech-savvy. And the big telecoms take advantage of them with these contracts... the fact that she pays 200 dollars a month and she is using an older iphone model says a lot already. I have no doubt she used that amount of data. Only thing she might have going for her is that she's a front line health worker. Maybe virgin will do the PR move and waive the charge.

*edit it was reduced to 500 dollars. I'll call that a win
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
1794 posts
925 upvotes
Calgary
It was actually waived completely