• Last Updated:
  • Jan 24th, 2018 10:59 pm
[OP]
Feb 18, 2012
871 posts
517 upvotes
Victoria

Virgin call display not showing name

I just changed to Virgin for the 10gb/$60 plan but am noticing now that the call display only shows the number where as i used to see the associated name with Rogers? Is there a way to gdt names to be shown?
56 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
20330 posts
6513 upvotes
Toronto
Horsey2345 wrote: I just changed to Virgin for the 10gb/$60 plan but am noticing now that the call display only shows the number where as i used to see the associated name with Rogers? Is there a way to gdt names to be shown?
On Rogers you had Call Display AND Name Display.
On Virgin you just have Call Display. I don't think they offer Name Display at all, even as an add-on, but I'm not sure.

BTW, why did you switch to Virgin for the 10 GB $60 plan? Virgin is the only one out of the big 6 that doesn't offer Roam Like Home or equivalent on that 10 GB $60 plan. That is a major negative IMO, but you may not care.
[OP]
Feb 18, 2012
871 posts
517 upvotes
Victoria
EugW wrote: On Rogers you had Call Display AND Name Display.
On Virgin you just have Call Display. I don't think they offer Name Display at all, even as an add-on, but I'm not sure.

BTW, why did you switch to Virgin for the 10 GB $60 plan? Virgin is the only one out of the big 6 that doesn't offer Roam Like Home or equivalent on that 10 GB $60 plan. That is a major negative IMO, but you may not care.
Yea i found that out after, i left it to the last minute and the douche at tmobile pushed virgin because of the rewards. I specifically asked if there was any difference and was told the plans were all the same.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
20330 posts
6513 upvotes
Toronto
Horsey2345 wrote: Yea i found that out after, i left it to the last minute and the douche at tmobile pushed virgin because of the rewards. I specifically asked if there was any difference and was told the plans were all the same.
Ouch, that sucks.

But yeah, there are always small differences between the plans, and sometimes big differences. I went with Fido, because they include Fido Roam and they are the only one offering DataBytes, which provides unlimited data for 1 hour sessions, with 5 sessions available per month. They don't include Name Display, but I was getting the Value Pack add-on anyway for cheap long distance and for Premium Voicemail-to-Text, and that Value Pack also includes Name Display.

You should also note that the Virgin plan does NOT include international MMS. MMS is included for Canada and US, but not elsewhere. Many people wouldn't care about that, but you should be aware of that nonetheless.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
20330 posts
6513 upvotes
Toronto
ji2o0k wrote: You'll have to switch back to Rogers for Name Display..
Rogers usually includes name display, call forwarding, and enhanced voicemail in their base plans, but does not include international messaging or premium voicemail to text. However, you can get international messaging and premium voicemail to text as add-ons, one of which also includes discounted long distance.

Fido usually includes international messaging and mini-voicemail (not enhanced voicemail) in their base plans, but does not include name display, call forwarding, or premium voicemail to text. However, you can get name display, call forwarding, and premium voicemail to text (with enhanced voicemail's 35 messages) as an add-on value pack, which also includes discounted long distance.

If you wanted all of the above, Fido was the cheapest at an extra $7 for the add-on value pack (formerly $5) and also includes Databytes in the base Pulse plan. Rogers charges $10 for two add-ons, one for premium voicemail to text and one for international messaging and discounted long distance. Also, after the discount, Fido's long distance is the cheapest.

Rogers and Fido also have the cheapest roaming. So if you wanted a full frills $60 10 GB plan, the overall best value was Fido at $65/$67, while Rogers was $70. Too late for the OP now though.
Koodo is slowing rolling it out too....
Along with Telus.
Feb 22, 2013
218 posts
21 upvotes

EugW wrote: Along with Telus.
Not true. Both Koodo and Telus has name display. I was on Koodo and switched to Telus for that 10GB $60 plan. I get name display on both Telus/Koodo (same network).

** name display is available on Samsung phones
** don't get name display on ZTE phones
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
20330 posts
6513 upvotes
Toronto
newsun wrote: Not true. Both Koodo and Telus has name display. I was on Koodo and switched to Telus for that 10GB $60 plan. I get name display on both Telus/Koodo (same network).

** name display is available on Samsung phones
** don't get name display on ZTE phones
Well, that's what we're saying. Both Koodo and Telus have rolled out Name Display. However, it's quite new for them. In fact, for Koodo it's just been in the last few months IIRC.

BTW, I have an ZTE wireless home phone module, and name display works just fine through it.

EDIT:

Enabled on Telus in May, and then added later on Koodo.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2003
16548 posts
5027 upvotes
Markham

I think koodo one is working now ? As of this Thursday Dec. 04, I got Name Display.
96TB Mediasonic H82-SU3S2 / 72TB Raid 50 on Mediasonic H8R2-SU3S2
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
Feb 22, 2013
218 posts
21 upvotes
Keigotw wrote: I think koodo one is working now ? As of this Thursday Dec. 04, I got Name Display.
Yes, it has been working for several years now for Koodo...
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2003
16548 posts
5027 upvotes
Markham
newsun wrote: Yes, it has been working for several years now for Koodo...
Years? nope
it always only displayed phone # (for numbers / callers not in your calling list)
Name Display was a rogers thing
96TB Mediasonic H82-SU3S2 / 72TB Raid 50 on Mediasonic H8R2-SU3S2
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2015
6381 posts
2007 upvotes
0 downvotes
I never knew Kudoo had name display so I did some research, and they DO, but they have nOT had it for years, they apparently had it since MAY of Two Thousand and Seventeen. so it's relatively new, not even a year yet. Rogers and Fido also offer it too, but other than that no other carrier in the GTA or canada offers it to my knowledge, and in all honesty, it sucks, its not worth it, you oughta be kidding to change companies because you are missing name display.
Hello and Welcome to Red Flag Deals!
This is my signature line, nothing special to see here now go away, lol!
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
20330 posts
6513 upvotes
Toronto
GoodFellaz wrote: I never knew Kudoo had name display so I did some research, and they DO, but they have nOT had it for years, they apparently had it since MAY of Two Thousand and Seventeen. so it's relatively new, not even a year yet. Rogers and Fido also offer it too, but other than that no other carrier in the GTA or canada offers it to my knowledge, and in all honesty, it sucks, its not worth it, you oughta be kidding to change companies because you are missing name display.
It was one reason we left Koodo (before they had it) and left Public Mobile, but not the main reason.

Once you’ve had Name Display, going without it can be really annoying. It’s quite nice to have.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2015
6381 posts
2007 upvotes
0 downvotes
its more of a "nice to have" feature and NOT a "must have" feature for several reasons, one being not all handsets are compatible with it, and 2 not all carriers are compatible with it and 3 it can be shut down at any time by the cellphone carrier with no reason and the feature will be gone for good and if that happens.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15417 posts
13855 upvotes
Going to the Moon
There are pro's and con's to Virgin vs. other carriers. For those who roam, especially to the US, Virgin is lame. For BYOD, Virgin loses its appeal for gift cards on hardware upgrades (but the Virgin account may be an outlet for OP or any Virgin account holder to do phone churning on added lines). Good thing is Virgin is on the Bellus network.

Name display on cellular is not a deal breaker for most. Somehow, some people such as real estate agents seem to love it. Most of us just click on a picture to dial our contacts, and most inbound calls are from saved contacts. Name display on cellular won't work with international calls, won't work when receiving calls cross-network from Bell/Virgin (not even sure if name display works cross Rogers/Telus networks), plus there are apps that can retrieve the name display on inbound calls from landlines listed in the directory on wifi or cellular data at minimal usage. Sammy phones have an advantage since I think Sammy keeps their own database for names associated with cellular numbers.
🐧Premium Life: CDC💳 [❄️Icey❄️ Private Status]/SwissBorg🍀 Genesis💎/InLock🔓/Netflix📺 UHD [100% off]/Amazon 🛍️[Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]🥕
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
20330 posts
6513 upvotes
Toronto
GoodFellaz wrote: its more of a "nice to have" feature and NOT a "must have" feature for several reasons, one being not all handsets are compatible with it, and 2 not all carriers are compatible with it and 3 it can be shut down at any time by the cellphone carrier with no reason and the feature will be gone for good and if that happens.
1. Most of the top phones support it. Certainly the big heavyweights Apple and Samsung support it. It’s a pretty basic feature actually, that’s been around on Rogers and Fido for eons.

2. That’s why people need to be informed when they choose their carriers. As mentioned, it was one of the factors for our leaving Public Mobile and Koodo (back when they didn’t have it). Lack of Name Display might not be a dealbreaker for most, but for many, once they’ve had it, not having it can be annoying. The existence of this thread is a testament to that.

3. That argument makes no sense at all. You’re arguing that a current feature is no good because that feature that is already offered might be taken away in the future. Well, you could say that about just about anything. “In 2018, Fido’s DataBytes is a bad feature because in 2022 Fido will stop providing it.” Or “Premium voicemail to text on Telus is a bad feature because 5 years from now Telus might shut it down.”
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2015
6381 posts
2007 upvotes
0 downvotes
1) People have left Rogers because Rogers One Number stopped being offered, however no other carrier offers such similar feature so I don't see the point really in leaving, and B) some people have left because Extreme Text Messaging has discontinued, in all onesty, there is no other carrier that offers such so I don't see the point of leaving if you cant get it back by going somewhere else, and 3) Rogers uses some non-standard implementation for Name Display that is not set as a standard so they can pull it any time if the switch manufacturer decides its not worth keeping the code in he switch, and guess what? you will not have the feature
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2010
15193 posts
4974 upvotes
Here 'n There
EugW wrote: On Rogers you had Call Display AND Name Display.

I was on Virgin $45/6GB before switching to Rogers $60/10GB so I could get roaming using my home data. Virgin does not have call name display. The only way you can get a name to show with Virgin is if you have it associated with the number in your smartphone contact list. Of course the call comes in from a # that is not in your contact list then only the # will show, not any name.

As an aside, I don't know why anyone chose Virgin for the $60/10GB deal as are the only carrier that does not offer home data roaming, just a crappy $5/100MB plan. Even Bell, Virgin's parent, which offers home data roaming wasn't that good because they bill the home data roaming charge not on a 24-hour cycle from when you first use the phone outside of Canada like Rogers but ends it at midnight. So, you could use your home data roaming at 10pm with Bell and then 2 hours later get charged again. On top of that Roger's home data roaming charge is capped at 10 days per billing cycle vs Bell at 20 days. The only benefit to Virgin was some of the discounts they provide from 3rd party retailers but for me home data roaming while in the USA (or Int'l) trumps that (no pun intended!).

Since switching to Rogers, the only thing I have found I don't like is that you cannot change the number of rings before it goes to voice mail which you can with Virgin. The only reason I need this is I have my 4 voip.ms business lines call forwarded to my iPhone and have them go to my voip.ms voicemail if not answered instead of being picked up by my personal Rogers vm which does not have a business-oriented greeting. To do that the Rogers line has to ring longer than the voip.ms lines. I prefer having a longer ring time on the business lines which meant extending the ring time on my Rogers # but that's not possible so I had to shorten the voipms ring time instead which means I have to pick up those lines faster. Rogers says they may implement the ability to extend the # of rings sometime in the future as it has been requested by many customers.
Last edited by eonibm on Jan 6th, 2018 11:46 am, edited 6 times in total.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
20330 posts
6513 upvotes
Toronto
GoodFellaz wrote: 1) People have left Rogers because Rogers One Number stopped being offered, however no other carrier offers such similar feature so I don't see the point really in leaving, and B) some people have left because Extreme Text Messaging has discontinued, in all onesty, there is no other carrier that offers such so I don't see the point of leaving if you cant get it back by going somewhere else, and 3) Rogers uses some non-standard implementation for Name Display that is not set as a standard so they can pull it any time if the switch manufacturer decides its not worth keeping the code in he switch, and guess what? you will not have the feature
So what? You are always free to leave if Name Display gets pulled. Meanwhile, it’s been available on Rogers and Fido for just about forever. It’s foolish to avoid a feature just because 5 years from now it MIGHT be discontinued.

In fact just the opposite of what you describe has happened. Rogers and Fido had it, but nobody else did. Instead of Rogers discontinuing the feature, now Telus and Koodo have adopted it too, probably because it’s an actual selling point.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2010
15193 posts
4974 upvotes
Here 'n There
Horsey2345 wrote: Yea i found that out after, i left it to the last minute and the douche at tmobile pushed virgin because of the rewards. I specifically asked if there was any difference and was told the plans were all the same.
The salesman is the douche because you were too lazy to do your own home work? There were tons of comparisons on the net and here on RFD of the different plans. Blame yourself for your carelessness and not someone who is motivated by commission/bonuses. You have to live with the plan not him.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)