Expired Hot Deals

Virgin Internet

*FREE Upgrade!* Faster Download & or UNLIMITED for existing Quebec Virgin Internet Customers. Older plans, NOT automatic

[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 4, 2004
9800 posts
2495 upvotes
Montreal

*FREE Upgrade!* Faster Download & or UNLIMITED for existing Quebec Virgin Internet Customers. Older plans, NOT automatic

Retailer:
Virgin Internet
This free upgrade is NOT automatic, you must either call or use the billing portal to change to the new plans.

Looks like Virgin Internet is matching Fizz Internet (Videotron) in Quebec on their plans. So if you are on an older plan you can get a FREE upgrade to unlimited and/or FASTER download speed.

What they did was they got rid of their download/upload caps on their plans AND upped the download speeds to match Fizz speeds.

I'm on an older plan and I'm paying $45 for 25 Mbps down and 10 upload with a 250 gig cap (yes I know it's pricey but it's a complicated story, I can't sign up for cheaper Fizz Internet).

On their billing portal page to "Change plans" it showed me the same price of $45 for 30 Mbps down and 10 upload but WITH UNLIMITED. So I called and switched (didn't want to risk doing it online). Took 2 days for them to change it remotely (no tech visit required).

My friend is paying $50 for 50 Mbps down and 10 up with an unlimited data cap. New plan is still $50 but is 60 Mbps download now. He called and is scheduled to be upgraded to 60 down today!

So in short I'm now paying the same price for faster download speed AND unlimited download/upload now. Free upgrade! :) Why doesn't Virgin (Bell) do it automatically for older plans? Well you think about why they don't upgrade everyone for free ... ;)
Last edited by yuprules on Jan 4th, 2021 1:22 pm, edited 8 times in total.
20 replies
Dec 14, 2017
157 posts
408 upvotes
Thanks for the info, but it's not a deal. It's been like this for a few weeks, they just upgraded all the plans for the same price as before.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 4, 2004
9800 posts
2495 upvotes
Montreal
kevint27 wrote: Thanks for the info, but it's not a deal. It's been like this for a few weeks, they just upgraded all the plans for the same price as before.
Except you have to call or use the portal to change Internet plans, it's NOT automatic and people don't think they can get it because they are "an existing customer".

Bell would NEVER do it automatically for you ;)
May 17, 2017
951 posts
2271 upvotes
I didn't know people still paid for capped internet.
My phone plan is $400 a month for 500 MB of data.
My internet plan is $199.99 for capped internet and slow speeds.
My credit cards are the ones with annual fees but terrible rewards.
Did I RFD correctly?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 4, 2004
9800 posts
2495 upvotes
Montreal
scottmg wrote: I didn't know people still paid for capped internet.
Cough, *raises hand*. Well, not anymore it's unlimited now :)
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2007
4139 posts
1303 upvotes
QC
I have a 10$/m credit on my plan, I wonder if it'll stay...

Edit: promo will disappear...
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2018
7388 posts
7939 upvotes
Pretty crazy to see home internet plans with such slow DL speeds and capped usage in 2021, that's a complete rip-off especially when most of the world is wfh.
Dec 14, 2017
157 posts
408 upvotes
yuprules wrote: Except you have to call or use the portal to change Internet plans, it's NOT automatic and people don't think they can get it because they are "an existing customer".

Bell would NEVER do it automatically for you ;)
Yeah, like every service. It's not a hot deal, sorry pal.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 4, 2004
9800 posts
2495 upvotes
Montreal
Gtaphotog wrote: Pretty crazy to see home internet plans with such slow DL speeds and capped usage in 2021, that's a complete rip-off especially when most of the world is wfh.
Welcome to Canada :)
kevint27 wrote: Yeah, like every service. It's not a hot deal, sorry pal.
Didn't say it was a hot deal, just trying to make sure people take advantage of it if they can.

Was a good deal for me as an existing customer, same price, unlimited now instead of capped and faster :) As I said, I can't switch to something cheaper on cable...
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
7162 posts
3494 upvotes
Montreal
jfmartel wrote: I have a 10$/m credit on my plan, I wonder if it'll stay...

Edit: promo will disappear...
yeah I have a $5 credit per month, I see that they increased the download speed by 5mps on my plan, but Id lose my credit if I chose it.
Dec 14, 2017
157 posts
408 upvotes
yuprules wrote: Welcome to Canada :)
Didn't say it was a hot deal, just trying to make sure people take advantage of it if they can.

Was a good deal for me as an existing customer, same price, unlimited now instead of capped and faster :) As I said, I can't switch to something cheaper on cable...
Well, you said it by creating your thread in the "Hot Deals" section ;)
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 4, 2004
9800 posts
2495 upvotes
Montreal
Madevilz wrote: yeah I have a $5 credit per month, I see that they increased the download speed by 5mps on my plan, but Id lose my credit if I chose it.
I haven't hit a year with them yet so I have no credits yet, I should call and "cancel" and get some credits with my new faster and unlimited plan. :)
kevint27 wrote: Well, you said it by creating your thread in the "Hot Deals" section ;)
Free isn't at least lukewarm? So I shouldn't have called and gotten the FREE upgrades? ;) I've seen WAY worse deals posted in the Hot Deals section than this, come on, it's FREE. At least a thumbs up?
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2007
4139 posts
1303 upvotes
QC
For those on the 60mbit plan, what are you real DL speed? I'm on the 25mbits plan but my speed is 31-32mbits and the 50mbits was a little bit over 60mbit from what I can recall.

Im pretty sure they only changed the advertised speed from theoretical to practical
Sep 23, 2019
14 posts
4 upvotes
jfmartel wrote: For those on the 60mbit plan, what are you real DL speed? I'm on the 25mbits plan but my speed is 31-32mbits and the 50mbits was a little bit over 60mbit from what I can recall.

Im pretty sure they only changed the advertised speed from theoretical to practical
This! I have the same 50Mbps plan and currently get 60Mbps. Not worth losing my credits for a theoretical increase, but would gladly take the 100Mbps upgrade for the same price.
Dec 14, 2017
157 posts
408 upvotes
yuprules wrote: I haven't hit a year with them yet so I have no credits yet, I should call and "cancel" and get some credits with my new faster and unlimited plan. :)
Free isn't at least lukewarm? So I shouldn't have called and gotten the FREE upgrades? ;) I've seen WAY worse deals posted in the Hot Deals section than this, come on, it's FREE. At least a thumbs up?
There you go ;)

Thumbs Up Sign
Feb 23, 2008
169 posts
736 upvotes
Montreal
Not a deal for me.
I'm using Virgin since 2 years now and i'm paying 39.99$ + Tax = 45.99$ for 25 mbps/10mbps (unlimited). But since its a fiber, I end up getting it 30 mbps (download).

The offer of 30mbps/10mbps (unlimited) for 45$ (pre-tax) was there since many months. See attachment.
Images
  • Screenshot_20210104-160156_My Account.jpg
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 4, 2004
9800 posts
2495 upvotes
Montreal
red_flag_deal wrote: Not a deal for me.
I'm using Virgin since 2 years now and i'm paying 39.99$ + Tax = 45.99$ for 25 mbps/10mbps (unlimited). But since its a fiber, I end up getting it 30 mbps (download).

The offer of 30mbps/10mbps (unlimited) for 45$ (pre-tax) was there since many months. See attachment.
Nice you locked in that deal. I was paying $45 25mbps with a 250 gig cap when I signed up about 10 months ago.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2010
1594 posts
4372 upvotes
Montreal
Planning to leave Virgin. Originally was going to make the switch a year ago to fizz since they offered a better plan for cheaper.
I was foolish and accepted the customer support that offered 2 years 45$ on 50/10mbps.
A year later they've been charging me 60$ and stringing me along every month by having me call in have getting it credited, until today the rep decided not to.

I'm tired of the bs so I'd just jump over to fizz's 60/10 for 50$ than to bother with their game.
Deal Addict
Sep 28, 2005
4013 posts
2020 upvotes
Pointe-Claire
red_flag_deal wrote: Not a deal for me.

I've also been at that rate for a couple of years although I had to call in and ask for the $10 reduction each year...
As far as the actual speed, I'm only getting about 21 mbps. They tell me that it is due to actual physical conditions and that I am located at the end limit of their line (i.e. almost 900m from their distribution box?).

yuprules wrote:
Nice you locked in that deal. I was paying $45 25mbps with a 250 gig cap when I signed up about 10 months ago.
Yikes. Guess it is timing/luck on what the agent offers. I renewed last March and they had offered $40 for 25 mbps and unlimited. They are so inconsistant.

azn0Richard0 wrote: Planning to leave Virgin. Originally was going to make the switch a year ago to fizz since they offered a better plan for cheaper.
I was foolish and accepted the customer support that offered 2 years 45$ on 50/10mbps.
A year later they've been charging me 60$ and stringing me along every month by having me call in have getting it credited, until today the rep decided not to.

I'm tired of the bs so I'd just jump over to fizz's 60/10 for 50$ than to bother with their game.
Same here. Just got off the phone with an agent and retention department. Not willing to match their current offers as I am scheduled to renew in March (even though I'm not supposed to be on contract). I was not in a mood to play their games... come March, if they do not make it easy, I'm gone. Too much of Bhell... (yes, I know the relationship).
I can't afford to save that much!
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2010
1594 posts
4372 upvotes
Montreal
deals46 wrote: I've also been at that rate for a couple of years although I had to call in and ask for the $10 reduction each year...
As far as the actual speed, I'm only getting about 21 mbps. They tell me that it is due to actual physical conditions and that I am located at the end limit of their line (i.e. almost 900m from their distribution box?).
Yikes. Guess it is timing/luck on what the agent offers. I renewed last March and they had offered $40 for 25 mbps and unlimited. They are so inconsistant.
Same here. Just got off the phone with an agent and retention department. Not willing to match their current offers as I am scheduled to renew in March (even though I'm not supposed to be on contract). I was not in a mood to play their games... come March, if they do not make it easy, I'm gone. Too much of Bhell... (yes, I know the relationship).
I think the 21mbps might be some loss on your line but also some bs they don't want to fix.
I know when I've installed my line initially I had a great technician.
He had to rework some of the electrician and pull a new fresh wire into my house, but when I mentioned the line was offering lower than promised speed, he spent the time with HQ to get the interference and/or speed adjusted so the speed test hit the target speeds.
I think they have the option adjust your line to receive more than expected speeds to compensate for some loss, but it's likely something the technicians can do on-site and not the support.