Expired Hot Deals

[Virgin Mobile] 1GB Tablet data plan for $5 a month plus Huawei MediaPad T3 10 for $1 on Sweet Pay

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 10th, 2020 10:45 am
Feb 27, 2011
410 posts
1105 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Smokin deal, thanks! Perfect for occasional kids use this summer.
Zoomer and Koodo 6 GB/$40 plans
Oct 21, 2015
314 posts
236 upvotes
Toronto, ON
a_dee wrote: yes, but can you use this tablet sim on a phone?
After some digging, apparently it's true that they lock SIM to IMEI. The workaround is just to call CSR and tell them its lost or you are upgrading, and give them an IMEI you use.

No idea why they pose this restrictions tho. Can't think of any reason how they can benefit from this except driving clients away.
Deal Guru
Feb 13, 2012
13001 posts
3396 upvotes
VANCOUVER
texasbruce wrote: Thanks. Put an order in.

Didn't know Virgin has all these tablet plans. Also 2g for $10 and 4g for$15. Everyone was rushing to Fido for this.
The key differences though, are that Fido sim can be used in any other device, including phones, and it seems almost everyone and his uncle can get the Fido plan fee discounted anywhere from 50 - 100%. The one advantage for Virgin is that anyone, not just existing talk and text subscribers, can get this deal.
Deal Guru
Feb 13, 2012
13001 posts
3396 upvotes
VANCOUVER
texasbruce wrote: After some digging, apparently it's true that they lock SIM to IMEI. The workaround is just to call CSR and tell them its lost or you are upgrading, and give them an IMEI you use.

No idea why they pose this restrictions tho. Can't think of any reason how they can benefit from this except driving clients away.
Has that been proven to be workable?
[OP]
Feb 6, 2007
453 posts
139 upvotes
Markham
GSD wrote: Works out at $144 for the 2 yr term?
Yeah, $144 + taxes over 2 yrs term for non current customers. As an existing customer, I didn't have to pay the $1 / month for the tablet so it works out to be $120 over 2 years.

Strange thing is that the $5 / 1GB only seems to be available with the Huawei tablet. Maybe this is their way of clearing inventory of these 2yr old tablets.
Jan 23, 2003
946 posts
145 upvotes
Mississauga
DudeImJason wrote: .....doesn't even need to be on sweet pay can just get it $5 a month on subsidy.
subsidy? what does this mean and how do we sign up?
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2009
1238 posts
654 upvotes
Calgary
texasbruce wrote: After some digging, apparently it's true that they lock SIM to IMEI. The workaround is just to call CSR and tell them its lost or you are upgrading, and give them an IMEI you use.

If you have a rooted phone, you can change your IMEI.
Nov 4, 2004
60 posts
64 upvotes
i3kc wrote: Strange thing is that the $5 / 1GB only seems to be available with the Huawei tablet. Maybe this is their way of clearing inventory of these 2yr old tablets.
I'm sure it has something to do with the Chinese government subsidizing these devices for various strategic purposes.
Dec 20, 2018
117 posts
99 upvotes
winnipeg
lionking wrote: I believe Bell mobility has the same deal ... Either way, good deal OP
can you share the link? ty
can't find the deal on bell website
Feb 27, 2011
410 posts
1105 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Additional data in the bell plan is much more expensive than virgin, buyer beware. Other than that, same deal. Thanks for sharing.
Zoomer and Koodo 6 GB/$40 plans
Dec 20, 2018
117 posts
99 upvotes
winnipeg
So the sim card is data only?
not able to receive any texts/calls?
Apr 22, 2014
55 posts
104 upvotes
Richmond
2damax wrote: How much is extra data if you go over? I tried looking at their rates but it requires login. Do you get a SIM with a phone number and can it recieve text like the old Fido 3gb offer?
Fido data plan no more sms supported and can't receive any call
Data is only data
P.S. i just renewed fido 4gb data plan
Dec 14, 2013
60 posts
61 upvotes
AJAX
ibuddler wrote: If you have a rooted phone, you can change your IMEI.
IIRC changing your IMEI is a Federal Offence.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)