Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Virgin Mobile

4GB - Unlimited Canada Wide - $40 - BYOD - in NL - YMMV

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 22nd, 2019 1:19 pm
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2004
2097 posts
319 upvotes
Toronto
DealCanuck wrote: Depends on the rep, I had mine waived
Did you have to ask or they just did it?
hvwozq wrote: If it is the same as Bell, they waive the fee only within 30 days of activation, probably so you can test the service and decide if you want to move. The fee has nothing to do with the plan.
Hmm so if I activated both or either the sim card and a plan of any sort (post or prepaid), they *could*, if like Bell, waive the fee if I did it within 30 days? Not so much if I waited like say months later?

If within 30 days, great.
I haven't ported a number in awhile other than to Fongo years ago.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2014
8471 posts
4465 upvotes
Canuckland
rockthecasbah wrote: Did you have to ask or they just did it?

Hmm so if I activated both or either the sim card and a plan of any sort (post or prepaid), they *could*, if like Bell, waive the fee if I did it within 30 days? Not so much if I waited like say months later?

If within 30 days, great.
I haven't ported a number in awhile other than to Fongo years ago.
I asked
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2004
2097 posts
319 upvotes
Toronto
DealCanuck wrote: I asked
Cool cool. I'll try when I get my plan fully set up in 2 days.

Also it's very true what people said about Virgin Mobile CSRs not knowing anything. I had one CSR who I got from the 1-855 number who asked for 2 pieces of ID for the credit check and I said okay, drivers license and credit card. And she said credit card won't work (even though I just did the same credit check with Rogers last month when I took over a corporate line) and then she asked for passport or SIN which I prefer not to give. Eventually she read me a list of all the types of IDs they accept and "credit card" was one of them. Oy.
Jan 31, 2007
512 posts
341 upvotes
No fee. Didn’t do it all at once, as per my post they actually activated it two days earlier (but on the wrong plan). After they corrected the plan I asked to port the number which required transferring me to someone else (because porting is a special skill). *sigh*
rockthecasbah wrote: I am dealing with them and one guy called it "fraud" that other people were able to get this plan without being prepaid customers for months (even though it never said anything on the My Account blurb) and the CSRs are saying that the $35 activation fee applies if I port my number in instead, no fee if I use the prepaid # I was given.

Did you have to pay the $35 activation fee for porting your number?

It does say online that the fee is there https://www.virginmobile.ca/en/support/ ... arges.html

I was trying to do it all at once but reallyyyyy don't want to pay a $35 fee :s anyone getting it waived?
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2008
4018 posts
2516 upvotes
Halifax
jaan92 wrote: I should have got it first time, but they signed me up for the wrong deal. Currently trying to get in touch with the representative I spoke to.

My steps:
1. SIM card from Staples, saw the message for the deal when I logged in.
2. Contacted them through their chat, they confirmed the deal was real (I screenshot the convo), and a rep gave me a number to call.
3. I called, and they signed me up.

However, as I said, when I checked today, it's the wrong plan. Should I bother calling the general number or wait to get in contact with the rep who signed me up?
Go to Koodo or the Mobile Shop, activate a Public Mobile $40 plan there, and then get Public Mobile to port your Virgin number over. I would not waste any more time on Virgin. They will not get better.
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2004
2097 posts
319 upvotes
Toronto
Update: Got the $40 4GB plan last week and it activated in 2 business days and just today, I ported my number over.

Confirmed with the rep who does the number porting (which is actually Bell Mobility) that the fee is waived if you port it within 15 days of activation of your account so if there is a charge, you can just call member services to waive the fee.

It was a bit painful with the Virgin Mobile CSRs I got, some of whom didn't know anything and one who claimed those who signed up for this $40 4GB plan were committing fraud, but finally got it done. Phew.
Nov 17, 2014
606 posts
447 upvotes
Toronto, ON
If I get a virgin number in Quebec, will I be able to port in my Ontario number later?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2014
8471 posts
4465 upvotes
Canuckland
timbertick wrote: If I get a virgin number in Quebec, will I be able to port in my Ontario number later?
I think you’re better off getting a koodo phone number in Quebec then porting your Ontario number.

They have a $49/6GB

Though yes you could
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2014
8471 posts
4465 upvotes
Canuckland
rockthecasbah wrote: Update: Got the $40 4GB plan last week and it activated in 2 business days and just today, I ported my number over.

Confirmed with the rep who does the number porting (which is actually Bell Mobility) that the fee is waived if you port it within 15 days of activation of your account so if there is a charge, you can just call member services to waive the fee.

It was a bit painful with the Virgin Mobile CSRs I got, some of whom didn't know anything and one who claimed those who signed up for this $40 4GB plan were committing fraud, but finally got it done. Phew.
Fraud :lol:
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2004
1369 posts
912 upvotes
mississauga, Ontario
zoomer $36 plan is better
Never again! HTC , Wind Mobile , Air China
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2014
8471 posts
4465 upvotes
Canuckland
Chi-tel wrote: zoomer $36 plan is better
Yes but you’d be stuck with them for 2 years
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2004
1369 posts
912 upvotes
mississauga, Ontario
DealCanuck wrote:
Yes but you’d be stuck with them for 2 years
wrong!
you may get cheapest plan without contact and ask for the plan after 6 months

or get the cheapest phone (pay $100 and get back $25 refferal credit ) with 2 years contact , pay off the balance when you cancel the contact
Never again! HTC , Wind Mobile , Air China
Jan 25, 2018
61 posts
27 upvotes
Does anyone know where to get a SIM card without paying for it?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2014
8471 posts
4465 upvotes
Canuckland
Chi-tel wrote: wrong!
you may get cheapest plan without contact and ask for the plan after 6 months

or get the cheapest phone (pay $100 and get back $25 refferal credit ) with 2 years contact , pay off the balance when you cancel the contact
What if you need the best plan $36 4GB NOW?

No one wants to wait half a year for save a couple of bucks
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2004
2097 posts
319 upvotes
Toronto
haven4505 wrote: Does anyone know where to get a SIM card without paying for it?
Just get it on ebay. I got mine for a buck and got the sim # sent to me right after buying it. Dunno where you live but mine came from Scarborough to Toronto in like 2 days (there was a snowstorm and 1 day there was no mail delivery).
Jul 8, 2014
389 posts
265 upvotes
AB
Can anyone explain the process to get this deal? I want to port my number and switch from Telus

My understanding:

1) buy sim card online
2) sign up for a prepaid account
3)?
4) call to switch to this 4gb $50 plan
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
2199 posts
4611 upvotes
Mississauga
damatick wrote: Can anyone explain the process to get this deal? I want to port my number and switch from Telus

My understanding:

1) buy sim card online
2) sign up for a prepaid account
3)?
4) call to switch to this 4gb $50 plan
It is a 4gb/40$ plan
Telus $30/75gb US-Canada Plan x 3 lines, $10/Talk& Text line - 24 mths
VVM, 2000 LD minutes, CAN-Int'l Text ($0), 0$ AppleWatch, 5$ CAN-US only Tablet
Rogers $48.99 /24 mths, Ignite 1.5G internet
CIBC, Tang and EQ
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2014
8471 posts
4465 upvotes
Canuckland
rockthecasbah wrote: Just get it on ebay. I got mine for a buck and got the sim # sent to me right after buying it. Dunno where you live but mine came from Scarborough to Toronto in like 2 days (there was a snowstorm and 1 day there was no mail delivery).
Staples
Nov 17, 2014
606 posts
447 upvotes
Toronto, ON
How long did u guys have to wait before transferring.... I tried today but was told that I have to wait 30 day s

Edit: D*** the customer service guys are clueless.. All fixed and done
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2014
2169 posts
7243 upvotes
Calgary, AB
leadersuper699 wrote: Just received a email my $45 6gb will be price increase in april for $5
How long have you had the plan for?