• Apr 23rd, 2015 8:00 pm
[OP]
Nov 16, 2012
667 posts
181 upvotes
VANCOUVER

[Virgin Mobile] $5 OFF 1GB & 2GB Plans! *LAST DAY (APRIL 23)*

Deal Link:
As the title suggests, Virgin Mobile has decreased the prices off their 1GB & 2GB plans by $5.

Here is the breakdown:
- $60 1 GB plan is NOW $55.
- $70 2 GB plan is NOW $65.

EVEN BETTER, if you bring your own phone, you get an additional 10% OFF BYOP discount, bringing down the monthly plan to $49.50 & $58.50 respectively for 1 and 2 GB.

Now yes yes, I know there are many of you that will say that these plans are a rip off compared to the those of yesteryear, but for the current market, I'd say it's pretty darn good. Furthermore, these plans are cheaper than what either Koodo or Fido are offering right now.

It's important to note that even if you're currently on a 2 year plan, you can switch to these promotional plans right now, without penalty (well except for proration charges).

EDIT (April 23):

Just a heads up for everyone out there, I've been told that today is the last day for these plans.

The good:On BYOP, 1 GB plan will be $45 (Like Koodo). 1 GB plan for contracts will also be slightly better priced.

The bad: On BYOP, 2 GB plan is going back up in price. And will be much more expensive on contract! For example on Gold plan, 2GB is currently $70, tomorrow it will bump up to $78.

CONTRACTED PLANS IN GENERAL WILL BE MORE EXPENSIVE.
14 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2013
1990 posts
13477 upvotes
7-Eleven Speakout has 1 GB plans for $45 with texting/VM, and they give you $125 for a $100 top-up, essentially lowering the price of the plan even further.
[OP]
Nov 16, 2012
667 posts
181 upvotes
VANCOUVER
Leverage wrote: 7-Eleven Speakout has 1 GB plans for $45 with texting/VM, and they give you $125 for a $100 top-up, essentially lowering the price of the plan even further.
It's a good deal if someone is looking to go for one of the BIG 3; Fido, Koodo, or Virgin. As I already said in my post, I know there are alternative companies like Speakout. Aside from the double data double minutes deal back in 2013, this is the best price the plans have been for 2-year plans.
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2005
1437 posts
368 upvotes
Calgary
Yup, saw this today, with 10% it is cheaper than the $59 bring your own phone plan. I will switch to this for the S6 I think.
Feb 23, 2015
5 posts
1 upvote
Calgary, AB
Thanks, saved myself $5 a month!
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
5736 posts
354 upvotes
The $55 1GB plan OP posted includes $200 subsidy (-$8.33/mo) for a new phone along with LTE speeds and unlimited talk time. Not that Speakout isn't a good deal, but this plan might be better suited for others, like those who need more than 100 minutes a month, for example.
Banned
Aug 20, 2014
82 posts
40 upvotes
Dorval, QC
infamousdealer wrote: It's a good deal if someone is looking to go for one of the BIG 3; Fido, Koodo, or Virgin. As I already said in my post, I know there are alternative companies like Speakout. Aside from the double data double minutes deal back in 2013, this is the best price the plans have been for 2-year plans.
This is a scam they raised the price from 45$ byod to 50 to 55 and now since they are lowering 5$ it's a good deal? all since begining of 2014. Phone services went up 20% in the last year. Fido had the plan at 40 with byod last january.
Virgin had that plan at 45$. I'm so discusted with them...
[OP]
Nov 16, 2012
667 posts
181 upvotes
VANCOUVER
poopipoopi wrote: This is a scam they raised the price from 45$ byod to 50 to 55 and now since they are lowering 5$ it's a good deal? all since begining of 2014. Phone services went up 20% in the last year. Fido had the plan at 40 with byod last january.
Virgin had that plan at 45$. I'm so discusted with them...
I understand where you're coming from. I can't really speak to the plans that you are referencing, but I'll take your word for it. However, since then, this is the best the pricing has been in months, so yes I do consider this a deal. Fido has changed their pricing strategy, and the word is that Koodo and Virgin might follow.

So if there are people that can take advantage of this price drop, especially the people that are currently on 2-year plans and were paying more, then I feel like this is a contribution to the community. A $5 savings over 2 years ends up being $120, not bad.
Temp. Banned
Sep 18, 2012
1355 posts
239 upvotes
ETOBICOKE
Leverage wrote: 7-Eleven Speakout has 1 GB plans for $45 with texting/VM, and they gie you $125 for a $100 top-up, essentially lowering the price of the plan even further.
no lte and on rogers
May 8, 2001
767 posts
1231 upvotes
I guess this really depends on where you live. Here is Sask, Virgin has unlimited with 5GB data for only $55. And you can get BYOD discount too.
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2013
1274 posts
471 upvotes
London, ON
not hot, and not a deal at all. after seeing some of the manitoba and sask plans while i was in regina, forget it.

10gb / unlimited everything for 70 bucks BYOD wtf. ,, other provinces are getting raped in canada

- so basically virgin is matching Fido's plan,, the state of competition lol
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2004
8468 posts
2564 upvotes
Mississauga
MikeNet wrote: I guess this really depends on where you live. Here is Sask, Virgin has unlimited with 5GB data for only $55. And you can get BYOD discount too.
Correct, and if you google it Howard forums has easy steps on how to get it anywhere in Canada.
[OP]
Nov 16, 2012
667 posts
181 upvotes
VANCOUVER
Just a heads up for everyone out there, I've been told that today is the last day for these plans.

The good:On BYOP, 1 GB plan will be $45 (Like Koodo). 1 GB plan for contracts will also be slightly better priced.

The bad: On BYOP, 2 GB plan is going back up in price. And will be much more expensive on contract! For example on Gold plan, 2GB is currently $70, tomorrow it will bump up to $78.

CONTRACTED PLANS IN GENERAL WILL BE MORE EXPENSIVE.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)