Expired Hot Deals

[Virgin Mobile] Galaxy Tab A for $0 on $5 / month 1 GB plan, 2 year term. Existing members, YMMV.

[OP]
Feb 18, 2019
279 posts
289 upvotes

[Virgin Mobile] Galaxy Tab A for $0 on $5 / month 1 GB plan, 2 year term. Existing members, YMMV.

Virgin called me and offered me the Samsung Galaxy Tab A for:

$0 upfront, 2 year term, $5 / month and includes 1 GB of data.

Not the greatest tablet in the world... But You're effectively paying $120 for it, including the plan for 2 years, so I'd say not a bad deal.

Virgin called me, I don't know if you can call them and ask for this. I'm an existing customer currently on contract.
20 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2008
3425 posts
1675 upvotes
Halifax
I wonder if the Source will also give out a gift card like the last 1 GB $5 promo? This has to be a better tablet then the ZTE dreck.
[OP]
Feb 18, 2019
279 posts
289 upvotes
bridonca wrote: I wonder if the Source will also give out a gift card like the last 1 GB $5 promo? This has to be a better tablet then the ZTE dreck.
Good question. This tablet is fine for basic use... I've played with display models. Not a powerhouse for sure, but it's fine. Biggest drawback IMO is the screen (1280 x 800). 1080P would be so much nicer... But for $120 I still snagged it.
Jul 4, 2019
22 posts
1 upvote
Regina
Do you have a special offer code I could tell them? I called and they had a 10$ plan but couldn't find a 5$ plan. If I remember correctly from when I worked for virgin years ago, it should come up with a code when you look at your bill.
Deal Guru
Feb 13, 2012
12680 posts
3153 upvotes
VANCOUVER
If I'm not mistaken, tablet will be locked to Virgin, and you can't use the sim in a phone.
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2005
1331 posts
174 upvotes
Thanks op.

Any link? I'll call and ask as I only have their internet.
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2014
1049 posts
529 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Rogido wrote: If I'm not mistaken, tablet will be locked to Virgin, and you can't use the sim in a phone.
Unless they changed this recently, it is 100% true. I got a tablet from them a little while ago and the tablet was locked to the specific sim. I couldn't even put it into a different tablet which did not make any sense to me since it was a tablet data plan. I asked the agent what if I lost my tablet or it broke, and he told me there is nothing they can do about it. Seemed like more of a headache which I did not want to deal with so I just returned it.
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2008
3425 posts
1675 upvotes
Halifax
alkaint wrote: Unless they changed this recently, it is 100% true. I got a tablet from them a little while ago and the tablet was locked to the specific sim. I couldn't even put it into a different tablet which did not make any sense to me since it was a tablet data plan. I asked the agent what if I lost my tablet or it broke, and he told me there is nothing they can do about it. Seemed like more of a headache which I did not want to deal with so I just returned it.
You can get a CSR to lock the SIM to another tablet, though probably YMMV.
Jun 17, 2010
92 posts
160 upvotes
Toronto
This same deal was available around Christmas but $10 for 10GB
Aug 27, 2008
862 posts
564 upvotes
Ottawa
alkaint wrote: Unless they changed this recently, it is 100% true. I got a tablet from them a little while ago and the tablet was locked to the specific sim. I couldn't even put it into a different tablet which did not make any sense to me since it was a tablet data plan. I asked the agent what if I lost my tablet or it broke, and he told me there is nothing they can do about it. Seemed like more of a headache which I did not want to deal with so I just returned it.
I am in the same boat. I have this deal from a year ago and 1GB is so small. I hate that the SIM card can't be used in another device. I end up taking this with me to work a few days a year and creating a hot spot to use with my phone. I only use this tablet for this purpose and it sits on the nightstand the rest of the month. It's really underpowered and not responsive. I would have loved to just take the sim card out and put it into an old phone. Sucks that we would be SOL if the tablet breaks. Just waiting out the remaining year.
[OP]
Feb 18, 2019
279 posts
289 upvotes
fq007 wrote: Thanks op.

Any link? I'll call and ask as I only have their internet.
No link, just an unsolicited call from Virgin.
[OP]
Feb 18, 2019
279 posts
289 upvotes
DenisJ40112 wrote: Do you have a special offer code I could tell them? I called and they had a 10$ plan but couldn't find a 5$ plan. If I remember correctly from when I worked for virgin years ago, it should come up with a code when you look at your bill.
There's no code in confirmation email / contract. I don't have the first bill yet.
Jul 4, 2019
22 posts
1 upvote
Regina
DonkeyDoo wrote: There's no code in confirmation email / contract. I don't have the first bill yet.
Is it a 5$ plan or is it the 10$ plan with a 5$ discount? I was offered a 10$ plan but the dude on the line couldn't find it for 5$ and kept asking for a promo code, a soc code or a # they could look at to verify the plan.