• Last Updated:
  • Dec 3rd, 2021 9:41 am
[OP]
Nov 10, 2008
27 posts
15 upvotes
Scarborough

Virgin Mobile Home Internet reviews and experiences

Tried searching reddit and other forums, all reviews are from 2 years ago.

Anyone have any experiences with Virgin mobile home internet recently? Reliability?, ease of set up?, Customer service?

Currently in Spadina/Bloor area of Toronto.

Signed up with Fido home internet a month ago and still experiencing multiple problems, poor customer service, overall worst experience of my life, want to switch from them ASAP.
138 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
36154 posts
9417 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Virgin is basically Bell DSL. If your area can get Fibe, specifically FTTH (Fibre To The Home) then I highly recommend you switch as soon as possible
Oct 11, 2013
217 posts
61 upvotes
Almost American
TekSavvy has been reliable for me... Bell FTTH when we had it was also good but the price was too much for us, with TV it was costing about $175 /mo. Ditched both now we have TekSavvy at 40 Mbps for $56 taxes incl. Fast enough for netflix 4k and anything else we need to do. Beyond that you're only going to notice a difference with huge transfers.
Jun 13, 2015
155 posts
75 upvotes
L'Assomption
Gee wrote: Virgin is basically Bell DSL. If your area can get Fibe, specifically FTTH (Fibre To The Home) then I highly recommend you switch as soon as possible
Would it be bad to switch from cable to go with Virgin? Is there any big difference between the two?
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
36154 posts
9417 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Mcik316 wrote: Would it be bad to switch from cable to go with Virgin? Is there any big difference between the two?
Depends, if you are moving to Fibe, definitely switch.

If your area only has DSL, stick with cable,
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13084 posts
4693 upvotes
Ontario
Depends on your area, Some areas are best for Cable and others are best for DSL.

In my area many years ago DSL was best and cable was hit and miss, I have since always been on DSL and its been great, rock solid and I always get my constant 50mbit/sec speeds. If you are having issues with your home internet then DSL may resolve that. If Fiber to the home from Bell is available in your area, it will start at 100mb/sec and faster get that as its even better. If they tell you on the phone their other lower speeds are fiber they are lying as its only fiber to the end of your street which makes it DSL.
Mcik316 wrote: Would it be bad to switch from cable to go with Virgin? Is there any big difference between the two?
Jun 13, 2015
155 posts
75 upvotes
L'Assomption
sickcars wrote: Depends on your area, Some areas are best for Cable and others are best for DSL.

In my area many years ago DSL was best and cable was hit and miss, I have since always been on DSL and its been great, rock solid and I always get my constant 50mbit/sec speeds. If you are having issues with your home internet then DSL may resolve that. If Fiber to the home from Bell is available in your area, it will start at 100mb/sec and faster get that as its even better. If they tell you on the phone their other lower speeds are fiber they are lying as its only fiber to the end of your street which makes it DSL.
Allright thanks, gonna check this up. Was indeed looking at the 100mb plan.
[OP]
Nov 10, 2008
27 posts
15 upvotes
Scarborough
Gee wrote: Depends, if you are moving to Fibe, definitely switch.

I just ordered virgin internet 100mbs plan. Hope all goes well.

How do I know if I have fibre or dsl? I asked virgin customer service they said I get the fibre dsl. Not sure what that means.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
36154 posts
9417 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
21Brimley wrote: How do I know if I have fibre or dsl? I asked virgin customer service they said I get the fibre dsl. Not sure what that means.
Can’t tell over the phone. After the installation, go take a look. If you see a phone line plugged into a modem, then you don’t have Fibe
Jun 13, 2015
155 posts
75 upvotes
L'Assomption
Bell guy installed yesterday. Passed fibe through the house down to the electrical panel. Really tiny cable compared to coaxial. Valerie box hooked besides the outlet in the basement. Good wifi throughout the house, easy setup within the router’s interface. So far so good, while browsing internet it seems as fast as my previous 400mb Vidéotron internet. I have the tv also, works great on my apple tv and the picture is really nice.
Deal Addict
May 10, 2011
1475 posts
524 upvotes
Ottawa
Gee wrote: Depends, if you are moving to Fibe, definitely switch.

Fibe is simply a marketing term. It doesn't mean FTTH. It is called Fibe, not fiber for a good reason. Most Fibe plan is simply DSL.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
36154 posts
9417 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
csi123 wrote: Fibe is simply a marketing term. It doesn't mean FTTH. It is called Fibe, not fiber for a good reason. Most Fibe plan is simply DSL.
I stated that in post 2. Only switch if they are offering FTTH (Fibre To The Home)
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2010
1338 posts
839 upvotes
Waterloo
Not with Virgin but with Bell (it’s all the same service). I have FTTH service for Internet and use their Alt TV app on my Fire Stick to watch live TV (this is called Virgin TV on the VM side).

Everything works wonderfully - TV picture quality is clear and the guide works well, plus it’s convenient to be able to watch TV in my web browser.

Internet is awesome, has been rock solid reliable with very low ping. I use a third party modem for the actual wifi instead of using their Home Hub (Steve or Valerie on Virgin) and have been running well for almost 2 years now.

If you can get FTTH, so a fibre line is run directly to your home/unit, then ABSOLUTELY do that as the internet service is superb. If your choice is between Cable and DSL then it’s more dependent on where you live, but as a general rule DSL tends to be more reliable while Cable can achieve faster speeds, but also is prone to congestion.
Jul 7, 2020
372 posts
195 upvotes
It has been good in my experience, at two different addresses in different cities.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
19030 posts
6403 upvotes
Toronto
Mcik316 wrote: Allright thanks, gonna check this up. Was indeed looking at the 100mb plan.
FTTH is available on Bell's 50 plan too.
[OP]
Nov 10, 2008
27 posts
15 upvotes
Scarborough
Today the Bell tech came by and installed my Virgin Mobile internet, everything went well.

The tech gave me the Steve modem as he says my apartment is not hooked up to Fiber to the Home, but rather Fiber to the Node, not sure what the difference is.

Overall the service is reliable, been getting near 100mbps speeds whenever I am doing speed tests, and finally I am able to enjoy Netflix without constant buffering or disconnects.

The real test for me will be on Monday, when I have to connect to VPN for work. Will report back on that later.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
7664 posts
1813 upvotes
Cornwall, Ontario
This article explains FTTH and FTTN (Fiber to the Home and Fiber to the Node)
https://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/blog/bel ... -explained

But parts of the article are wrong.
For one Bell FTTH is advertised up to 1.5 Gbps, but more importantly, the connection between the Fiber node and the final termination(home) with FTTNis actually the copper pair that used to connect your old landline.
These are not coaxial cables, they arejust twisted copper pairs (Coax is used by the cable companies; one can also get internet that way, ie cable internet)
With FTTN ,and the use of one copper pair between the node and your modem the max. speed is typically 50 Mbps, when two pairs are used one can get up to 100 Mbps.
All depends on the length of the copper pairs.
In your case if you are in a high-rise apartment, Bell would run fiber to the node in the basement equipment room and then use the old telephone copper connections to each apartment for the last stretch.
Your connection on Monday should be just as good as the one now.
[OP]
Nov 10, 2008
27 posts
15 upvotes
Scarborough
krs wrote:
Your connection on Monday should be just as good as the one now.
I hope so. I was with Fido before and had nothing but problems with my work vpn.

I was working from my parents place in the suburbs who has Rogers and there were no issues or disconnects with VPN.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
7664 posts
1813 upvotes
Cornwall, Ontario
When you are using VPN you are throwing another unknown into the mix.
If there are problems then it could also be the VPN service, not necessarily your connection to the net.

I had Bell FTTH for a year after I got fed up with cable internet.
Always a rock-solid full speed connection.
Switched to Virgin Internet last December with their $40.- promo for the year.
The Fiber pipe is the same as Bell, just a different branded modem. Bell installer acrually came to make the switch, took only a few minutes
Also always a solid full speed connection every time I test.
[OP]
Nov 10, 2008
27 posts
15 upvotes
Scarborough
krs wrote: When you are using VPN you are throwing another unknown into the mix.
If there are problems then it could also be the VPN service, not necessarily your connection to the net.
Not sure if it is my vpn or not, but I have no issues at my parents place who has Rogers, and Fido is Rogers.

I have not been happy with Fido internet ever since I moved here, it was fine at my old place but here it has been bad, compounded with customer service issues and a terrible mix up when moving my service, I think it time I part with fido.