Virgin Mobile Home Internet reviews and experiences

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 14th, 2022 1:37 pm
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
7769 posts
1887 upvotes
Cornwall, Ontario
I would check with Virgin and see if you can upgrade from the 25 Mb/s plan to the 50 Mb/s plan (at any time and at no cost) if the 25 Mb/s plan is not adequate.

Remember that with fiber internet you are not sharing the pipe like you do with cable internet.
Last edited by krs on Aug 16th, 2020 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jul 17, 2019
14 posts
3 upvotes
PressureBoom wrote: Personally I would pay the extra for the 50mbps plan to make sure you've got enough speed when usage is high but you may be able to get away with 25.
I ended up going with the 50 since they have a promotion where I can get a $100 credit which works out to two months free :)
krs wrote: I would check with Virgin and see if you can upgrade from the 25 Mb/s plan to the 50 Mb/s plan (at any time and at no cost) if the 25 Mb/s plan is not adequate.

Remember that with fiber internet you are sharing the pipe like you do with cable internet.
Thanks for mentioning this. They told me there is no charge to move from one plan to another.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
7769 posts
1887 upvotes
Cornwall, Ontario
Yk0910 wrote: I ended up going with the 50 since they have a promotion where I can get a $100 credit which works out to two months free :)
Nice Smiling Face With Open Mouth
The other way you could look at this - the 50 Mbps plan is $10.- more than the 25 Mbps plan, so the $100 credit would pay that difference for 10 months.
Which means you only pay $20 extra for the whole year and get double the download speed.
Thanks for mentioning this. They told me there is no charge to move from one plan to another.
I was thinking of typing "not sharing" but I forgot to type the all important word "not"
Fixed that in my previous post.
Jul 2, 2018
69 posts
22 upvotes
I'll chime in here as well.

I had the Bell Fibe 50 package and just switched to the Virgin 50 internet package.
Took advantage of their $60/month plus $100 credit offer.

The only thing i am bummed about is that with Bell I had the 3000 modem box and virgin gave me their 2000 modem.

In terms of speed, it's almost on par.
When doing speed tests I do notice a slight reduction because I did have Bell TV before and the technician said that they usually bump up your speed profile to accommodate for the TV.

In terms of daily usage and watching tv/browsing etc., I haven't noticed any difference at all.

I think it's more a psychological issue where I have a smaller modem now lol, and i want the bigger modem.

Happy to answer questions if anyone has any.

I also did order the AMazon firestick today and plan on getting virgin tv app.
Not sure if they have any promo for that.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
7769 posts
1887 upvotes
Cornwall, Ontario
jetscan wrote: The only thing i am bummed about is that with Bell I had the 3000 modem box and virgin gave me their 2000 modem.
-----
I think it's more a psychological issue where I have a smaller modem now lol, and i want the bigger modem.
If you search the net, you will find that the HH2000 modem is actually a better modem than some HH3000's
I haven't researched that in detail because I have no problems, but there are a bunch of people with a 3000 and problems - they switched back to the 2000 and the problems were gone.
Newer isn't always better.
Sounds like Virgin is doing the smart thing -eliminates potential trouble calls.
Jul 2, 2018
69 posts
22 upvotes
krs wrote: If you search the net, you will find that the HH2000 modem is actually a better modem than some HH3000's
I haven't researched that in detail because I have no problems, but there are a bunch of people with a 3000 and problems - they switched back to the 2000 and the problems were gone.
Newer isn't always better.
Sounds like Virgin is doing the smart thing -eliminates potential trouble calls.
The Bell technician that came to install Virgin told me that the 3000 modem covers a greater area than the 2000.
I can sort of testify to that since the reception was slightly stronger in some areas of my house.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
7769 posts
1887 upvotes
Cornwall, Ontario
jetscan wrote: The Bell technician that came to install Virgin told me that the 3000 modem covers a greater area than the 2000.
That is true, at least in theory.
I think I have an HH3000 from Virgin, but I never checked.
I don't have any problems the way I use the modem and the service, but google "HH3000problems" and you have enough reading material to keep you entertained for quite a while.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
19298 posts
6581 upvotes
Toronto
For me, the HH3000 is better than the HH2000.

I guess it depends on a number of factors including modem/router location, structural barriers and materials, etc.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
7769 posts
1887 upvotes
Cornwall, Ontario
audit13 wrote: For me, the HH3000 is better than the HH2000.
Better in which way? WiFi coverage?Anything else?
I get more than the full speed up and down with my 100/10 Virgin plan, WiFi covers all of the house and backyard, so I'm good
But I still don't know if I have an HH2000 or an HH3000
Can one tell by just logging into the modem?
My modem is in the basement, sort of tucked away and hard to get at physically.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
19298 posts
6581 upvotes
Toronto
krs wrote: Better in which way? WiFi coverage?Anything else?
I get more than the full speed up and down with my 100/10 Virgin plan, WiFi covers all of the house and backyard, so I'm good
But I still don't know if I have an HH2000 or an HH3000
Can one tell by just logging into the modem?
My modem is in the basement, sort of tucked away and hard to get at physically.
It's better in terms of WiFi coverage. I had to use a separate router with the HH2000 to reach the corners of the second floor with the modem was in the basement. The HH3000 is in the same place where I had the HH2000 and I no longer need to use a separate router.

Images
  • Screenshot 2020-08-18 at 1.58.48 PM.png
Jul 2, 2018
69 posts
22 upvotes
audit13 wrote: For me, the HH3000 is better than the HH2000.

I guess it depends on a number of factors including modem/router location, structural barriers and materials, etc.
did you try them both?
if so, did you request virgin to give you the 3000 model?
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
19298 posts
6581 upvotes
Toronto
jetscan wrote: did you try them both?
if so, did you request virgin to give you the 3000 model?
I was with Bell a few years ago on Fibe25 DSL with the HH2000. I left for Rogers because I could not get higher download speeds with Bell. I rejoined Bell on August 1 and they gave me the HH3000 with FTTH. The HH3000 is being using the the same location as the HH2000. There have been no electrical or structural changes between the time I had the HH2000 and the HH3000.

I think I got the HH3000 by default with FTTH.
Jul 2, 2018
69 posts
22 upvotes
thank you.

wonder if Virgin is flexible with giving the 3000 if you ask for it.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
19298 posts
6581 upvotes
Toronto
jetscan wrote: thank you.

wonder if Virgin is flexible with giving the 3000 if you ask for it.
Are you on FTTH or FTTN? I think FTTH requires a HH3000.
Jul 2, 2018
69 posts
22 upvotes
audit13 wrote: Are you on FTTH or FTTN? I think FTTH requires a HH3000.
I should be FTTN since i can't get more than 50mb speed.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
19298 posts
6581 upvotes
Toronto
jetscan wrote: I should be FTTN since i can't get more than 50mb speed.
Call or chat with a rep and ask for the HH3000 based on the fact that you get better wifi coverage with the 3000.
Jul 17, 2019
14 posts
3 upvotes
Got my internet hooked up today, very straightforward process, the tech came had it hooked up in a hour, got the Valerie Modem, which I think its the Home Hub 3000.

I am actually getting faster speeds than advertised around 61mbps.

I have a eero mesh router from my old place, would anyone suggest I use that instead of the modem they gave me?
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
19298 posts
6581 upvotes
Toronto
Yk0910 wrote: Got my internet hooked up today, very straightforward process, the tech came had it hooked up in a hour, got the Valerie Modem, which I think its the Home Hub 3000.

I am actually getting faster speeds than advertised around 61mbps.

I have a eero mesh router from my old place, would anyone suggest I use that instead of the modem they gave me?
If you have FTTH and you don't want to use the HH3000 at all, you will need to get a SFP to Gigabit converter to use it with your own router unless your router has a SFP slot.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
7769 posts
1887 upvotes
Cornwall, Ontario
Yk0910 wrote: I have a eero mesh router from my old place, would anyone suggest I use that instead of the modem they gave me?
Why not try the Valerie modem first to see if it suits your needs?
Jul 17, 2019
14 posts
3 upvotes
audit13 wrote: If you have FTTH and you don't want to use the HH3000 at all, you will need to get a SFP to Gigabit converter to use it with your own router unless your router has a SFP slot.
Pardon my ignorance but why would I need extra equipment? Can't I just plug a cable from my modem to my eero router?
krs wrote: Why not try the Valerie modem first to see if it suits your needs?
I will, the only reason why I bought that mesh router for my old place is because my gf was complaining about poor speeds in our bedroom/office, and that mesh router solved the problem. So far with this valerie modem we have no issues so far.