Virgin Mobile Home Internet reviews and experiences

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 14th, 2022 1:37 pm
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
8978 posts
2579 upvotes
Cornwall, Ontario
teleguitar wrote: Bull. For one example, it doesn't tell you what technology it is. So it doesn't tell you "everything you need to know."

I was reacting to something else though. I had to enter my address a few times since the website wouldn't register my clicks (enter).

Of course, it worked well for you. It was FTTH.

But, Bell gouges you with their prices. VM might be a bit better. There is no indication which tech it is.
Can you explain why you care what technology it is?
I don't care if they use a piece of string as long as I get the 100/10 speed I'm paying for.

But you don't seem to understand that the technology they use, FTTH or FTTN depends on what happened to be installed at your location.
I already explained to you how you can tell yourself or just give them a call or use chat.
As to your problem on Virgin's website requiring several tries with your address, that could be a lot of things starting with your browser, it's not necessarily an issue with their website.

As to Bell pricing - I don't like that either.
But you get what you pay for. With my cable connection I paid close to $50.- and the speed was very inconsistent, so much so that playing on-line games was impossible.
Just a constant source of frustration, I stuck it out for a year because I wanted to give the business to Teksavvy, but then the frustrations finally became too much.
With fibre, FTTH or FTTN, speed is rock solid and you can get acceptable speeds at reasonable prices.
In areas where Virgin is available, I don't know how cable internet is going to stay in business with their latest pricing.

I'm not quite sure what information you're after.
This thread is about "Virgin Mobile Home Internet reviews and experiences"
All I can say - I used them since December last year and so far everything has been perfect
Service is up 100% as far as I can tell
Speed of 100/10 service measured using Ookla us typically 120/12
Support I used once because of my screw up - that was top notch as well
And so far no billing issues either
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
22158 posts
10324 upvotes
Toronto
teleguitar wrote: I currently have Start and the speed is very consistent I have 30/5 and speed tests often return 29.

I don't know about higher speeds I would switch to 75 but their price for that isn't very good and they are increasing the 30/5 from $50 to $55.

Virgin mobile internet in my area is $60 for 50/10 but I don't know if that's FTTN or FTTH.

Edit: their website absolutely sucks. Pretty bad sign.
I understand your concern, especially if you decide to switch to Bell to get synchronous upload/download speeds which requires FTTH and want to eliminate or minimize the chance of a service interruption.
Last edited by audit13 on Sep 4th, 2020 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
8978 posts
2579 upvotes
Cornwall, Ontario
audit13 wrote: .....you decide to switch to Bell to get synchronous upload/download speeds which require FTTH.....
True, Virgin with either FTTH or FTTN doesn't offer any plans with the same download/upload speeds.that is another differentiator.
I looked at that option to run my own server which would require fast uploads - but the Bell service agreement specifically does not allow for that.
So I didn't see any benefit for synchronous upload/download speeds, at least for me.
And it's also a service that costs extra,
50/50 $80.-
150/150 $95.-

I think people need to figure out what service/speed they actually need rather than assuming faster is better or even needed.
When I was with Bell, they bumped my speed up to 1.5 Gb/s/940 Mb/s for a month for free
Turns out the fastest I got with WiFi was about 350 Mb/s down, to get anything faster I would need to connect via Ethernet wjich is rather impractical with laptops.
And from a user point of view, in practice, 100 Mb/s down and 350 Mb/s down hardly made any difference.
I'm tempted to drop to the 50/10 plan,but for only $10.- difference it's probably not worth it.
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2007
2412 posts
181 upvotes
krs wrote: True, Virgin with either FTTH or FTTN doesn't offer any plans with the same download/upload speeds.that is another differentiator.
I looked at that option to run my own server which would require fast uploads - but the Bell service agreement specifically does not allow for that.
So I didn't see any benefit for synchronous upload/download speeds, at least for me.
And it's also a service that costs extra,
50/50 $80.-
150/150 $95.-

I think people need to figure out what service/speed they actually need rather than assuming faster is better or even needed.
When I was with Bell, they bumped my speed up to 1.5 Gb/s/940 Mb/s for a month for free
Turns out the fastest I got with WiFi was about 350 Mb/s down, to get anything faster I would need to connect via Ethernet wjich is rather impractical with laptops.
And from a user point of view, in practice, 100 Mb/s down and 350 Mb/s down hardly made any difference.
I'm tempted to drop to the 50/10 plan,but for only $10.- difference it's probably not worth it.
You asked me what does the technology Matter?

C'mon man, be serious!

I was on Virgin mobile's website. You are right about it depends on the wiring in the house. But, when you pick Fibre on VM, it asks you to buy what looks like a standard router. What for?

What is that supposed to mean? I don't think I can get a FTTH option anyway as the Bell website states "while fibre doesn't go right to the home but it reaches the neighborhood where your..." address..."is located. "
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
8978 posts
2579 upvotes
Cornwall, Ontario
teleguitar wrote: You asked me what does the technology Matter?

C'mon man, be serious!

I was on Virgin mobile's website. You are right about it depends on the wiring in the house. But, when you pick Fibre on VM, it asks you to buy what looks like a standard router. What for?

What is that supposed to mean? I don't think I can get a FTTH option anyway as the Bell website states "while fibre doesn't go right to the home but it reaches the neighborhood where your..." address..."is located. "
Can you post a link where VM requires you to buy a router?
From what I gather reading the posts here - with Virgin Fibre for FTTN they provide an HH2000 modem/router, for FTTH they provide an HH3000 modem/router.
The only service you might need your own router for is DSL, the 5 Mb/s service, but that's a totally different kettle of fish.
That's why I posted earlier, DSL and Fibre are two totally different technologies, Virgin Fibre is NOT the same as Bell DSL as was posted.
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2007
2412 posts
181 upvotes
krs wrote: Can you post a link where VM requires you to buy a router?
From what I gather reading the posts here - with Virgin Fibre for FTTN they provide an HH2000 modem/router, for FTTH they provide an HH3000 modem/router.
The only service you might need your own router for is DSL, the 5 Mb/s service, but that's a totally different kettle of fish.
That's why I posted earlier, DSL and Fibre are two totally different technologies, Virgin Fibre is NOT the same as Bell DSL as was posted.
Yeah, you are right. It is FTTN and I believe HH2000 (they call it "modem Steve").

The 50/10 apparently has doubled in price since 2018. I found a DSL Reports post in which a poster described his experience with 'Modem Steve' (H2200) and getting 50/10 for $30/mth.

It's now $60.

I think Carrytel Cable for 75/10@ $44.95 ($40 for first 6 months) is a better deal. Latency should be similar since it's fiber to the node, right?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
8978 posts
2579 upvotes
Cornwall, Ontario
teleguitar wrote: Yeah, you are right. It is FTTN and I believe HH2000 (they call it "modem Steve").
The 50/10 apparently has doubled in price since 2018. I found a DSL Reports post in which a poster described his experience with 'Modem Steve' (H2200) and getting 50/10 for $30/mth.
It's now $60.
Wrong assumption.
That $30.- per month was a Virgin Internet promo at 50% off for one year.
The regular price was then also $60.-
I'm currently paying $35.- for 100/10, also a 50% off promo for new customers for a year, regular price is $70.-
So it looks as if Virgin's regular price has stayed the same for at least two years.
I think Carrytel Cable for 75/10@ $44.95 ($40 for first 6 months) is a better deal. Latency should be similar since it's fiber to the node, right?
Carrytel Cable is absolutely not fiber to the node, not even close although I have seen Carrytel ads where they like you to believe that.
Cable internet by Carrytel, CanTel, Teksavvy, anyone, there is no difference, uses the existing cable network to to your location,similar to DSL that uses the existing landline phone network.
Cable is faster than DSL simply because it uses co-ax cabling instead of copper pairs like DSL.
Fiber to the node uses a fiber connection to the node, a much faster pipe than cable, and then uses the Bell copper pair for the last short stretch to your location.
So the speeds are fast,but not as fast as fiber all the way to your modem (FTTH).
Benefit of FTTN even at 50/10 is that you always get that speed no matter how many people in your neighbourhood use the internet.
With cable internet by any provider, you share the cable pipe with your neighbours, so if a lot of people in your neighbourhood are on cable speeds drop, sometimes drastically.
So cable internet is a bit of a crap shoot - if you are lucky and only a few people are on your shared cable pipe you mightget reasonable service, but that can change any day when new customers sign up.
That's why you find that some reviews think CarryTel is great and others think it stinks.
Read the latest thread on RFD
carrytel-new-carrytel-customer-only-cab ... 9-2378505/

After having fiber internet for close to two years now, I would never go back to cable, having struggled with cable internet for 3 years before that.
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2007
2412 posts
181 upvotes
krs wrote: Wrong assumption.
That $30.- per month was a Virgin Internet promo at 50% off for one year.
The regular price was then also $60.-
I'm currently paying $35.- for 100/10, also a 50% off promo for new customers for a year, regular price is $70.-
So it looks as if Virgin's regular price has stayed the same for at least two years.

Carrytel Cable is absolutely not fiber to the node, not even close although I have seen Carrytel ads where they like you to believe that.
Cable internet by Carrytel, CanTel, Teksavvy, anyone, there is no difference, uses the existing cable network to to your location,similar to DSL that uses the existing landline phone network.
Cable is faster than DSL simply because it uses co-ax cabling instead of copper pairs like DSL.
Fiber to the node uses a fiber connection to the node, a much faster pipe than cable, and then uses the Bell copper pair for the last short stretch to your location.
So the speeds are fast,but not as fast as fiber all the way to your modem (FTTH).
Benefit of FTTN even at 50/10 is that you always get that speed no matter how many people in your neighbourhood use the internet.
With cable internet by any provider, you share the cable pipe with your neighbours, so if a lot of people in your neighbourhood are on cable speeds drop, sometimes drastically.
So cable internet is a bit of a crap shoot - if you are lucky and only a few people are on your shared cable pipe you mightget reasonable service, but that can change any day when new customers sign up.
That's why you find that some reviews think CarryTel is great and others think it stinks.
Read the latest thread on RFD
carrytel-new-carrytel-customer-only-cab ... 9-2378505/

After having fiber internet for close to two years now, I would never go back to cable, having struggled with cable internet for 3 years before that.
If you have a discount, I can see why you would stay but there is no incentive to switch.

Cable internet is a different tech than fiber so there is no "to the node" with it. FTTN isn't an advantage over Cable afaik. It's slower and more expensive. Why would I pick it? Best case scenario is that I am never down vs cable (w/ Start, I have been down three times, I think). A switch to Carrytel shouldn't be any different. So Cable 75/10 $45/mth vs FTTN 50/10 @ $60/mth. Can you make an argument there for choosing Fiber/FTTN? With VM, the modem is free and Fiber is arguably better (according to you, even FTTN - i bet few people will agree with you on that). The major negative with Carrytel is the contract and $70 for canceling plus using their Hitron modem ($70). So, there is some up front costs.

But, VM is more expensive than Start with a bit higher download and upload speed. Carrytel 75/10 is faster than both and cheaper.

I would pick VM and Fiber for $30/mth but not $60.
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2007
2412 posts
181 upvotes
krs, I just wanted to clarify, that I agree with you that fiber is generally better. If it's FTTH, it's even more so and there's no contest.

But, FTTH is not available in my building. FTTN is okay but 50/10 is $60 from Virgin Mobile. So, I am evaluating just on price. I am even accepting the hypothetical that it won't ever go down vs Carrytel and anticipated outages of approximately 3 days in total (hopefully, not consecutively) over a year or 2.

I would guess that is an average experience with cable internet. Some people have it worse.

But, Carrytel cable 75/10 is $45/mth vs $60 w/ VM.

Am I missing something? If I omitted something or my evaluation is faulty, by all means explain. If the 2 prices were closer, I would be interested in testing fiber even if it is just FTTN.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
8978 posts
2579 upvotes
Cornwall, Ontario
I just looked at theCarryTel website.

They advertise 50/10 FTTN for $45.-

If they can really provide FTTN (I'm going to start a new thread on that at RFD),I would take that over cable internet service at 75/10
It would be better service than cable, but with CarryTel the issue is still that one needs to sign a contract with an early termination fee plus a modem rental fee.
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2007
2412 posts
181 upvotes
krs wrote: I just looked at theCarryTel website.

They advertise 50/10 FTTN for $45.-

If they can really provide FTTN (I'm going to start a new thread on that at RFD),I would take that over cable internet service at 75/10
It would be better service than cable, but with CarryTel the issue is still that one needs to sign a contract with an early termination fee plus a modem rental fee.
Or you can buy their modem/router for $50?

Since, you seem to be enthusiastic about the advantages of FTTN/fiber over cable and I assume, up to speed (pardon the pun) about the technology, maybe you could do me a favour and look at their modem/router (it's a TP-LINK W9970) and offer your feedback on that?

What if I want to use my own configured router? Can I use two?

The contract annoys me but is not a deal breaker. If their Cable internet is no worse than Start and the FTTN is even better, then I would still pick Carrytel with one of those. The only reason I can see myself canceling is an unexpected, unanticipated horrible experience with outages and unbelievably bad customer service.

But, if it's that bad, I won't care about the $70 charge. The only other possible reason is another ISP dropping their prices so significantly that I want to switch but an ISP doing that anytime soon is slim to none. I don't expect to see FTTH in my building or area either so again, I think the contract sucks but I can accept it while biting my lip.

Also, the $45/mth is for 50/10 FTTN and the 75/10 is for $39/mth for the first 6 months before going up to $45/mth. The cable modem is $60 and the TC4400 modem is $170. So, it's quite a commitment regardless of what I choose. But, the cable deal/promotion ends September 11 so I want to choose one, ASAP.

I also have to arrange everything with current ISP and Carrytel so the transition is smooth and to avoid not having internet.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
8978 posts
2579 upvotes
Cornwall, Ontario
teleguitar wrote: Since, you seem to be enthusiastic about the advantages of FTTN/fiber over cable and I assume, up to speed (pardon the pun) about the technology, maybe you could do me a favour and look at their modem/router (it's a TP-LINK W9970) and offer your feedback on that?
You participated in the other thread as well
carrytel-fttn-fiber-node-internet-exprience-2400868/
So I would suggest you check on the Teksavvy website if FTTN is even available at your address.
From everything that I found and that others have posted - the Teksavvy website is up to date and shows the correct services at every location I cheked whereas CarryTel does not. You may not even have the option to go with 50/10 FTTN.

As to the TP-Link W9970 modem/router for FTTN, you are better of asking sickcars about that, he has 50/10 FTTN with Teksavvy, maybe they use the same modem/router asCarryTel.
At my location I get 50/10 via FTTH, so the modem/router is totally different since it interfaces with an optical cable rather than copper as with FTTN.
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2007
2412 posts
181 upvotes
krs wrote: You participated in the other thread as well
carrytel-fttn-fiber-node-internet-exprience-2400868/
So I would suggest you check on the Teksavvy website if FTTN is even available at your address.
From everything that I found and that others have posted - the Teksavvy website is up to date and shows the correct services at every location I cheked whereas CarryTel does not. You may not even have the option to go with 50/10 FTTN.

As to the TP-Link W9970 modem/router for FTTN, you are better of asking sickcars about that, he has 50/10 FTTN with Teksavvy, maybe they use the same modem/router asCarryTel.
At my location I get 50/10 via FTTH, so the modem/router is totally different since it interfaces with an optical cable rather than copper as with FTTN.
I asked about the TP-Link router because that is what Carrytel offers you to buy when you follow the online registration for the FTTN service. There's no other option.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
8978 posts
2579 upvotes
Cornwall, Ontario
teleguitar wrote: I asked about the TP-Link router because that is what Carrytel offers you to buy when you follow the online registration for the FTTN service. There's no other option.
Yeah, I understand that.
Did you ever check on the Bell or Teksavvy website if FTTN is even available at your location?
And amazon has a bunch of reviews on that unit if you are interested.
https://www.amazon.ca/TP-Link-TD-W9970- ... CICYA?th=1
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2007
2412 posts
181 upvotes
krs wrote: Yeah, I understand that.
Did you ever check on the Bell or Teksavvy website if FTTN is even available at your location?
And amazon has a bunch of reviews on that unit if you are interested.
https://www.amazon.ca/TP-Link-TD-W9970- ... CICYA?th=1
This info should answer most of your questions:

When I enter my address for Teksavvy availability, the response offers me DSL and Cable.
Maximum DSL speed: DSL 25 - $60/mth
DSL 25: SmartRG 516AC $120

Bell availability - after I enter address, I receive msg:
While fibre doesn’t go right to your home, it reaches the neighbourhood where **address** is located

Up to 50Mbps download speed (10up) - $80/mth

VM is 50/10 @ $60/mth

All crappy.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
8978 posts
2579 upvotes
Cornwall, Ontario
teleguitar wrote: This info should answer most of your questions:

When I enter my address for Teksavvy availability, the response offers me DSL and Cable.
Maximum DSL speed: DSL 25 - $60/mth
DSL 25: SmartRG 516AC $120

Bell availability - after I enter address, I receive msg:
While fibre doesn’t go right to your home, it reaches the neighbourhood where **address** is located

Up to 50Mbps download speed (10up) - $80/mth

VM is 50/10 @ $60/mth

All crappy.
Seems you get what you pay for.
If you go with a budget provider like CarryTel, you take your chances re service and support.

But...with their 7-day cancellation policy, assuming they honour that, it might be worth the risk.
With their 75 Mb/s service, you may run into the severe speed variations because cable internet is a shared service.It's something CarryTel really has no control over
With 50/10 FTTN you don't have that problem and you should get 50 Mb/s down or better all the time. It's a bit strange that Teksavvy only offers up to 25 Mb/s - that seems to imply that the copper lines are a distance from the node and maybe Bell and VM uses pair bonding to get to 50 Mb/s.
But $45.- for 50/10 FTTN by CarryTel is a pretty good deal.
If you end up having problems with congestion or throttling, on FTTN, then that is strictly an IISP issue.

I don't know what the current wholesale access rate is that CarryTel pays for FTTN, but I can't imagine it's much less than what CarryTel charges you.
You can dig through this if you like: https://crtc.gc.ca/8740/eng/2018/m59.htm#a201804063

If I went with CarryTel, I personally would go with their 50/10 FTTN service.
Price is the same as for 75 Mb/s cable except for the first six months where you would only save $36.-
Speed will be constant, not go up and down like a yo-yo like I have seen it with cable.
And unless you constantly download very large files, 50 Mb/s download speed should be plenty fast enough - you probably won't hit 75 Mb/s on cable anyway.

PS: Have you checked with Start (your current IISP?) to see what they charge for 50/10 FTTN?
Maybe they price match?
Or let you try FTTN without a large cancellation fee.
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2007
2412 posts
181 upvotes
krs wrote: Seems you get what you pay for.
If you go with a budget provider like CarryTel, you take your chances re service and support.

But...with their 7-day cancellation policy, assuming they honour that, it might be worth the risk.
With their 75 Mb/s service, you may run into the severe speed variations because cable internet is a shared service.It's something CarryTel really has no control over
With 50/10 FTTN you don't have that problem and you should get 50 Mb/s down or better all the time. It's a bit strange that Teksavvy only offers up to 25 Mb/s - that seems to imply that the copper lines are a distance from the node and maybe Bell and VM uses pair bonding to get to 50 Mb/s.
But $45.- for 50/10 FTTN by CarryTel is a pretty good deal.
If you end up having problems with congestion or throttling, on FTTN, then that is strictly an IISP issue.

I don't know what the current wholesale access rate is that CarryTel pays for FTTN, but I can't imagine it's much less than what CarryTel charges you.
You can dig through this if you like: https://crtc.gc.ca/8740/eng/2018/m59.htm#a201804063

If I went with CarryTel, I personally would go with their 50/10 FTTN service.
Price is the same as for 75 Mb/s cable except for the first six months where you would only save $36.-
Speed will be constant, not go up and down like a yo-yo like I have seen it with cable.
And unless you constantly download very large files, 50 Mb/s download speed should be plenty fast enough - you probably won't hit 75 Mb/s on cable anyway.

PS: Have you checked with Start (your current IISP?) to see what they charge for 50/10 FTTN?
Maybe they price match?
Or let you try FTTN without a large cancellation fee.
I haven't called Start yet but their fiber is called VDSL and 50/10 is $60 (online).

I wonder if Bell forces most companies to be at minimum $60/mth? It's intriguing why CarryTel is the only one with a cheaper price.

I am currently with Start @ 30/5 with the $5 increase now so $55/mth. So, the $60/mth is better for speed but Carrytel's fiber and cable options are better than either of Start's.

My Start Cable connection had only been down a few times since I've had it. If it doesn't get any worse, I would say I have been satisfied but those few times (not consecutively) did really suck. It was down for approximately 24 hrs or at late afternoon/night and returned the next day. Speeds have been pretty consistent when it's working which is 99% of the time. No complaints there so I am a bit concerned switching but that might not be logical. :-)

I think other cable subscribers have had it worse. Yeah, I think cable subscribers are at the mercy of Rogers and Cogeco and how quickly they solve issues and reconnect people's internet after outages.

But, ISPs often don't want to concede its "on their end." That's what really annoyed me.

Yeah, fiber/FTTN sounds okay even if a bit more $ and it sucks it's not FTTH but it is probably sufficient @ 50/10. I want to use my own router though so I don't know how that factors in using theirs too. I guess many customers probably do it, also.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
8978 posts
2579 upvotes
Cornwall, Ontario
teleguitar wrote: I haven't called Start yet but their fiber is called VDSL and 50/10 is $60 (online).
VDSL isthe high speed service over copper for short distances. That's what the modem would interface with.
"Fiber-to-the-node"sounds sexier I suppose.
I wonder if Bell forces most companies to be at minimum $60/mth? It's intriguing why CarryTel is the only one with a cheaper price.
Definitely not; if that were the case the independent ISP's would be at the Competitive Bureau's door in a flash and they would make sure t would be all over the news.
The wholesale FTTN rates areset by CRTC, that cost and whatever internal cost an ISP has, will set the final rate based on the profit margin they deem necessary to run their business.
I am currently with Start @ 30/5 with the $5 increase now so $55/mth. So, the $60/mth is better for speed but Carrytel's fiber and cable options are better than either of Start's.
If 30/5 cable internet is satisfactory for you, then 50/10 FTTN should be more than adequate soeed wise
My Start Cable connection had only been down a few times since I've had it. If it doesn't get any worse, I would say I have been satisfied but those few times (not consecutively) did really suck. It was down for approximately 24 hrs or at late afternoon/night and returned the next day. Speeds have been pretty consistent when it's working which is 99% of the time. No complaints there so I am a bit concerned switching but that might not be logical. :-)
I think other cable subscribers have had it worse. Yeah, I think cable subscribers are at the mercy of Rogers and Cogeco and how quickly they solve issues and reconnect people's internet after outages.
Exactly!
However, with FTTN or VDSL, you have the same general problem, if the fiber link goes down or the node has problems, the IISP also depends on Bell to fix things.
But since that service, at least the fiber portion of it, was installed relatively recently, it should be more reliable than cable except for the final copper connection.
But, ISPs often don't want to concede its "on their end." That's what really annoyed me.
Typical, I have another place with old-fashioned DSL, I'm lucky if I get 1 Mb/s download there.
Every time the service goes down and I complain, the ISP's argument is always that it's my computer or the house wiring or the modem.
But then, "magically" shortly after my complaint, everything starts to work again! What does that tell you?
Yeah, fiber/FTTN sounds okay even if a bit more $ and it sucks it's not FTTH but it is probably sufficient @ 50/10. I want to use my own router though so I don't know how that factors in using theirs too. I guess many customers probably do it, also.
Some people use their own router; I would only consider that if the modem/router the ISP provides doesn't provide enough WiFi coverage.
When I switched from cable to fiber, I sold my cable modem/router on Kijiji and now use the unit provided by Virgin at no cost to me.

If you want to use your own router (but not modem), just make sure that the unit the ISP provides can be configured as pass-through; pretty much all can.
That way you are using the modem portion of the unit that the ISP provides, but bypasses the router portion and uses yours instead.
[/quote]
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2007
2412 posts
181 upvotes
I can only get 25/12 fiber in my building according to Carrytel Sales.

I hate my building. Anyway, I guess my only choice is their 75/10 cable.

Also, the question of what modem to use/buy.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
8978 posts
2579 upvotes
Cornwall, Ontario
If you need to buy the cable modem, when I was on cable and had the problems I did quite a bit of research and found that many of the most common modems used a chipset that had a flaw where the modem momentarily didn't process the signal every once in a while.
The interval was very short, not noticeable when one just does email, surfing or for downloads, but it played havoc when playing on-line games if you are into that.
Took me quite a while to find a modem that didn't use that chip set and then I had to have it shipped from the US.
If you don't play on-line games, it's not anything to worry about, but if you do, that is something to check.
I think I posted about that experience here on RFD, that was about two years ago.

And btw - using a cable modem with a different chip set that didn't have the momentary interruption didn't solve the problem I had with cable internet.
My problem was basically ridiculously slow speeds at times, so slow that Ookla speed test wouldn't even run.
Teksavvy tried very hard to solve this, even sent me another modem at no charge to try. I can't fault their support, the issue was just out of their control - a basic congestion issue that one can run into with cable.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)