Cell Phones

Virgin Mobile increased their fees - suggested alternatives?

• Last Updated:
  • May 11th, 2021 12:00 pm
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4647 upvotes
Montréal

Virgin Mobile increased their fees - suggested alternatives?

So just got an email saying they'll increase from $25 to $30/mth for unlimited Canada-wide calls/text/voicemail/call ID.

Any suggestions for a better/cheaper plan? I don't need data and have my own phone, but if the phone+plan is good, would consider. TIA.
Hard work, inheritance, interest on interest accumulating, and stock and real estate speculation. It's all good.
53 replies
Oct 14, 2006
224 posts
117 upvotes
Richmond
Public Mobile, probably. As long as you don't need VoLTE, anyway. They're a little behind on advanced features, but they have an unlimited canada-wide for $25/mo with 1GB of data, plus right now there's a 5GB free promo on their website. As far as I know that's one-time use data, which doesn't expire. So if you use 1.5GB per month, it'd run out in 10 months. (Since 1GB is included with the plan.)

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/

PM has loyalty discounts (minus $1/mo per year) and a $2 discount from paying with a credit card, so even after tax it's likely cheaper than Virgin Mobile was.

Last edited by MrDisco on Jan 8th, 2021 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: no referral requests
Dec 4, 2017
648 posts
346 upvotes
Lucky Mobile. It has unlimited voice/text/data (data at low speed, with a 500MB or 1GB at video streaming speed) for $25/month. Currently, new subscribers get a one-time 6 GB data bonus plus a free month of service.

Lucky and Public compete head-to-head on main plan prices and features. Public has some discounts, while Lucky has the unlimited 128kbps data. Both carriers are better for plan terms than your Virgin plan before or after price hike, but they don't have high-end phones or subsidies. It's effectively BYOD and you just pay for service.

Edit: Lucky and Public are 3rd-tier subsidiaries of Bell and Telus respectively, and get the same great network quality. Given that Virgin is also a Bell subsidiary, you are more likely to get a smooth experience with porting your number to Lucky, but both are good choices.
Oct 14, 2006
224 posts
117 upvotes
Richmond
Thanks for the edit. I'm a dumb dumb! Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2009
2792 posts
419 upvotes
Mississauga
Sometimes I see Fido and Koodo offers $25 Talk and Text and they don't raise their prices.

My parents each has been on Fido $25 Talk and text plan for 3 years now and no Price change
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2013
6084 posts
1868 upvotes
Manila, Philippines
tranquility922 wrote: So just got an email saying they'll increase from $25 to $30/mth for unlimited Canada-wide calls/text/voicemail/call ID.

Any suggestions for a better/cheaper plan? I don't need data and have my own phone, but if the phone+plan is good, would consider. TIA.
That's the reason I left them.
FreedomMobile 35% Friends & Family
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2009
2792 posts
419 upvotes
Mississauga
I see this on Koodo website (attached photo)
Images
  • Screenshot_20210109-152203_Chrome.jpg
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4647 upvotes
Montréal
d1ulove3 wrote: That's the reason I left them.
Where did you go? Crazy they think they won't lose customers.
Hard work, inheritance, interest on interest accumulating, and stock and real estate speculation. It's all good.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2013
6084 posts
1868 upvotes
Manila, Philippines
tranquility922 wrote: Where did you go? Crazy they think they won't lose customers.
I was with for 10 years, move to Freedom mobile as they had a better before.
FreedomMobile 35% Friends & Family
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2020
1405 posts
1686 upvotes
Wait a few weeks before you jump to another provider.

Canada's cell phone providers are very careful to maximize their revenues by practicing follow-the-leader pricing. If Bell-Virgin decides to raise their profit margin, it is extremely likely that the Rogers and Telus cabals will increase their prices to match as well. If you switch providers now you could just get caught with another provider just as they increase rates.

Wait until this round of price collusion is resolved and fees have stabilized, then jump to whichever provider (if any) hasn't raised their rates.
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4647 upvotes
Montréal
middleofnowhere wrote: Wait a few weeks before you jump to another provider.

Canada's cell phone providers are very careful to maximize their revenues by practicing follow-the-leader pricing. If Bell-Virgin decides to raise their profit margin, it is extremely likely that the Rogers and Telus cabals will increase their prices to match as well. If you switch providers now you could just get caught with another provider just as they increase rates.

Wait until this round of price collusion is resolved and fees have stabilized, then jump to whichever provider (if any) hasn't raised their rates.
Tx for the heads-up, Virgin said they'll increase for my March bill, so I have some time.
Dec 19, 2018
217 posts
253 upvotes
Montreal
I also received the notice about the increase in March! They are going to increase my 2gb plan from $33 to $36 per month. I will talk with the loyalty dept. this evening to see if they have something better to offer. If not I will probably switch to public mobile.
Nov 9, 2006
475 posts
133 upvotes
Montreal
This is why I stay away from virgin, I have never heard of a price increase with koodo.
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4647 upvotes
Montréal
Bumping as getting close to the deadline, looked at Virgin, Public, Zoomer, Lucky and Koodo. I'm guessing Lucky's $15/mth is the best (100 mins, 250mb data, vm, display, waiting, 3-way) for my limited criteria (no data needed, it's a backup phone so call mins aren't crucial)?
https://www.luckymobile.ca/shop/plans/prepaid

Bonus is since I'm coming from Virgin I don't need to worry about unlocking my ancient phone.

Just seeing if anyone has any more advice/recommendations? Tx.
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2020
1405 posts
1686 upvotes
Koodo and Public Mobile just played 'follow the leader' and increased their rates.
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4647 upvotes
Montréal
tranquility922 wrote: Bumping as getting close to the deadline, looked at Virgin, Public, Zoomer, Lucky and Koodo. I'm guessing Lucky's $15/mth is the best (100 mins, 250mb data, vm, display, waiting, 3-way) for my limited criteria (no data needed, it's a backup phone so call mins aren't crucial)?
https://www.luckymobile.ca/shop/plans/prepaid

Bonus is since I'm coming from Virgin I don't need to worry about unlocking my ancient phone.

Just seeing if anyone has any more advice/recommendations? Tx.
Ok, guys, looks like I'm going w that unless you found something better. Silly question, when I switch providers, the bill will be pro-rated right, I don't have to wait till just before the next billing cycle?
Deal Expert
Jun 20, 2020
20144 posts
29043 upvotes
Toronto
tranquility922 wrote: Ok, guys, looks like I'm going w that unless you found something better. Silly question, when I switch providers, the bill will be pro-rated right, I don't have to wait till just before the next billing cycle?
Yes, for postpaid services you could get a refund for days of service not used in the current billing cycle.
No, for prepaid services.

https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/phone/mobile/codesimpl.htm#def
Destiny is all
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
8976 posts
2827 upvotes
Move over to lucky for 30 days, go back to virgin and you'll get the 30$/4gb unlimited canada minutes plan
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4647 upvotes
Montréal
EPcjay wrote: Move over to lucky for 30 days, go back to virgin and you'll get the 30$/4gb unlimited canada minutes plan

If I wanted that plan, why do I need to move away first?

Looks ok, but for my basic needs, the $15 one is hard to beat.