Expired Hot Deals

[VirginMobile.ca] Virgin Mobile Motorola RAZR V $349.99 No Contract!

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 5th, 2012 12:02 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2004
1082 posts
199 upvotes
PACIFIC

[VirginMobile.ca] Virgin Mobile Motorola RAZR V $349.99 No Contract!

http://www.virginmobile.ca/en/phones/ph ... Result=AB#
Motorola RAZR V
pros:
+ Kevlar back/130 grams (not too heavy)/128.5 x 65.8 x 8.35 mm^3 (more compact than G Nexus)
+ 4.3" qHD ColourBoost LCD
+ Dual-Core 1.2 GHz CPU
+ 8 MP Camera (vs 5MP Camera of the G Nexus)
+ ICS
+ microSD slot & 4GB internal storage (G Nexus has no microSD slot.)
+ FM radio (G Nexus has no FM Radio)
+ 1780mAh battery

cons:
- not JB
- only 0.3 MP front Camera (less effective for face unlock/maybe face unlock is not available at all*; G Nexus has 1.3 MP front cam)
- (probably) locked to Virgin Mobile/Bell
- not so popular device = less accessories (can be a good thing-save money & less decision to make) & less developer support if you're into modding
- smaller & lower res screen compared to the G Nexus

*My Xperia Ray w/ 0.3MP front cam has face unlock, but my ThinkPad Tablet w/ 2MP front cam doesn't have face unlock.

I know, compared to the $299 Galaxy Nexus Deal, this is probably so so. But keep this in mind, Mobilicity stores generally don't have many discounted phones in stock. (They generally restock after the promotion is over.) And likely, both the corporate stores and dealerships will make it mandatory for you to buy from 1-2 months of service. Again, I know that even with 1-2 months of service, the G Nexus is still a better deal, but this RAZR deal is ~ hassle-free (minus the unlock part) + in case you cannot find the G Nexus.
12 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2010
1019 posts
321 upvotes
Nice piece of hardware, but Motorola is brutal for getting updates for their phones out, and the dev community is minimal.
Aug 20, 2007
564 posts
64 upvotes
Priestlydoolong wrote: Nice piece of hardware, but Motorola is brutal for getting updates for their phones out, and the dev community is minimal.
You do know the Google's acquisition of Motorola right? I think things will change.
Deal Guru
Jul 16, 2003
10149 posts
442 upvotes
Toronto
jl007 wrote: You do know the Google's acquisition of Motorola right? I think things will change.
Or they will be orphaned into the abyss
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2010
1019 posts
321 upvotes
jl007 wrote: You do know the Google's acquisition of Motorola right? I think things will change.
I wouldn't assume anything until you start seeing a steady stream of support. I would just be cautious in anticipating anything different.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2008
7007 posts
5108 upvotes
Kitchener
This was rated as the #1 phone available on the market by CNET (after the release of the IPhone 4S and Galaxy Nexus but before the release of the Galaxy S3 and HTC One X). I really love this phone but I can't afford to put the money down now :(
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2005
11027 posts
3585 upvotes
Moto Xoom tabets got Jelly Bean right away.
Deal Guru
Jul 8, 2009
10637 posts
4996 upvotes
Not a bad price for a decent phone.
Deal Guru
Jul 16, 2003
10149 posts
442 upvotes
Toronto
kool1 wrote: Moto Xoom tabets got Jelly Bean right away.
The xoom was the tablet flagship...this however is not
Deal Guru
Nov 19, 2010
14652 posts
2323 upvotes
Toronto
Locked bootloader = nobody wants to develop/support it
Feb 8, 2012
676 posts
556 upvotes
VANCOUVER
I think what some of you didn't notice is that this Razr V is NOT the same as the Droid Razr that came out last year. This one was just released in June. Some differences include: it's a bit smaller and lighter but also a big thicker, has the same on-screen buttons as the galaxy nexus, and has SmartActions.
Deal Guru
Feb 13, 2012
13766 posts
3925 upvotes
VANCOUVER
So is this the same as the Rogers' Razr?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2004
1082 posts
199 upvotes
PACIFIC
Rogido wrote: So is this the same as the Rogers' Razr?
Nope, it's the newer & smaller--but same screen size & slightly thicker--version. Motorola rep said that the last year model was too thin and uncomfortable to hold for many customers, that's why they make it a bit thicker (only ~ 1mm thicker) this year.