Cell Phones

Virgin Mobile Nightmare

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 25th, 2021 9:11 am
Sep 20, 2020
14 posts
7 upvotes

Virgin Mobile Nightmare

I ordered a new phone and sim card from Virgin Mobile during the Black Friday sale. I was a new customer so signed up for a 2 year plan. A few days later I realized that the monthly charge was too expensive to me so I decided to return the device and sim card. I read that they have a 15-day return policy which provides a full refund. Printed out the return label with Canada post and dropped it off. A few days later I checked the tracking number and saw it has been delivered to the warehouse. A couple days ago, I noticed that I completely lost service with my current cell provider and could not log in to my account online. First I thought I got scammed somehow but then saw a 'Welcome to Virgin Mobile' email in my inbox. It turns out that my phone number has been ported to that sim card I returned, and never even opened. I spoke with Virgin Mobile over the phone and the rep told me the only way to close my account with Virgin, and keep my number is to buy another sim card and port back to my old provider. Ordered a new SIM and waiting for it to arrive so I can port back. My question is, why did my number get ported after I returned the sim card, and who ported it? I asked for it to be ported and gave permission, when I thought I was going to use Virgin initially. But, I did not contact their porting team to confirm the port, and that is what the rep told me to do, to confirm the port. So, how did this port go through. Also, is Virgin going to end up charging me money after I port back to my old provider? For a phone and sim card sitting in their warehouse? Appreciate if anyone can provide any insight. It has been a nightmare dealing with this company, it seems like their reps do not even know what is going on.
8 replies
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
21330 posts
10938 upvotes
Oakville
Dood25 wrote: I ordered a new phone and sim card from Virgin Mobile during the Black Friday sale. I was a new customer so signed up for a 2 year plan. A few days later I realized that the monthly charge was too expensive to me so I decided to return the device and sim card. I read that they have a 15-day return policy which provides a full refund. Printed out the return label with Canada post and dropped it off. A few days later I checked the tracking number and saw it has been delivered to the warehouse. A couple days ago, I noticed that I completely lost service with my current cell provider and could not log in to my account online. First I thought I got scammed somehow but then saw a 'Welcome to Virgin Mobile' email in my inbox. It turns out that my phone number has been ported to that sim card I returned, and never even opened. I spoke with Virgin Mobile over the phone and the rep told me the only way to close my account with Virgin, and keep my number is to buy another sim card and port back to my old provider. Ordered a new SIM and waiting for it to arrive so I can port back. My question is, why did my number get ported after I returned the sim card, and who ported it? I asked for it to be ported and gave permission, when I thought I was going to use Virgin initially. But, I did not contact their porting team to confirm the port, and that is what the rep told me to do, to confirm the port. So, how did this port go through. Also, is Virgin going to end up charging me money after I port back to my old provider? For a phone and sim card sitting in their warehouse? Appreciate if anyone can provide any insight. It has been a nightmare dealing with this company, it seems like their reps do not even know what is going on.
I think most carriers, for online orders, ship out the phone/sim and then activate the account/port your number (if requested) some time after that, to give you time for the phone to arrive before they start charging you. Sounds like you fell into a weird period where they hadn't yet processed your return, so when the time came to activate your account, they activated it.
Sep 20, 2020
14 posts
7 upvotes
Ah, ok. Guess I will call them and confirm that my return went through, after I port my number back. If they charge me money I will try to file a complaint. Thanks for your help
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
21330 posts
10938 upvotes
Oakville
Dood25 wrote: Ah, ok. Guess I will call them and confirm that my return went through, after I port my number back. If they charge me money I will try to file a complaint. Thanks for your help
I know with Koodo, at least, online returns can often sit for *days to weeks* before they get processed. So yeah, even though it was received at the warehouse, it could still be sitting in a pile waiting for somebody to get to it.
May 12, 2009
409 posts
98 upvotes
Toronto
I was never a Virgin customer, yet I received a bill for telephone and internet. Never used any of their services. Called them and fortunately bill was cancelled.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
21330 posts
10938 upvotes
Oakville
serbianbelle wrote: I was never a Virgin customer, yet I received a bill for telephone and internet. Never used any of their services. Called them and fortunately bill was cancelled.
Might be worth doing a quick check on your credit report, to make sure there are no *other* accounts set up in your name.
May 12, 2009
409 posts
98 upvotes
Toronto
wearysky Are you saying there may be accounts in my name, set up by scammers? Angry Face
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
24670 posts
8742 upvotes
Toronto
OP - it sounds like when you signed up for VM - you opened a new VM line & ported your # from your previous carrier to VM?

If that is the case, for future whenever signing up with a new carrier - DO NOT PORT your existing # to the new carrier. You can do this yourself online using the carrier's portal. Much safer that way vs doing the signing up & porting at the same time (more chances to screw things up & VM would have started the port process of your # from your previous carrier the day you agreed to join).

Also, you might have wanted to check the fine print on the return - SIM cards cannot be returned, only the device. If you held onto your SIM card, you would have been safe (still receive calls on your current #) while you port back to your old carrier.
Return Policy for Postpaid Member

Return the device within 15 days of your commitment start date.
Return the device and original receipt to your purchase location.
The device is in “like new” condition with all original packaging, manuals and accessories included.
You have not used the device excessively, in violation of our Responsible Use Policy.

You are responsible for all service charges incurred prior to your return of the device. SIM cards and headsets cannot be exchanged or refunded once opened or activated.
https://www.virginmobile.ca/en/support/ ... nd-repairs
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
21330 posts
10938 upvotes
Oakville
serbianbelle wrote: wearysky Are you saying there may be accounts in my name, set up by scammers? Angry Face
If you received a bill for telephone and internet from Virgin despite never signing up for them yourself, yes, there's a very good chance that somebody has stolen your identity. It might just be a goof on Virgin's part, but where did they get your info if you've never been a customer of theirs before? Somebody had to give it to them.