Shopping Discussion

Virgin Mobile Plans/Frustration

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 8th, 2009 10:57 am
[OP]
Nov 2, 2008
9 posts

Virgin Mobile Plans/Frustration

I recently bought a 2-year contract with Virgin Mobile. My first bill came in today (I was told that I would pay $32, taxes included, per month). The bill came up to $89, however.

When I called them and asked why my bill was so high, they claimed I made 95 text messages to people I don't even know. I have the 10 free talk/text plan for students, and the only people I messaged were people in the top 10. The 10 free talk/text plan also boasts "Unlimited texting", but Virgin said that I can only send 55 messages to people in the top 10, not an unlimited amount.

After telling them this, they still are demanding that I pay my phone bill in full. They have also billed me for the next month as well (they did not tell me that they were doing this, so I have to pay $32 x 2)

I told them that I would like to cancel my plan, but they are now saying I have to pay a $20/month cancellation fee until my contract is finished. I feel that I shouldn't pay it because I was unjustly billed. There were no indications that they would do this in the contract as well.

What should I do about this?
11 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 22, 2009
1454 posts
52 upvotes
You can not pay it, but collection agencies don't exactly listen to the "i didn't pay it because I felt I shouldn't have to" excuse. Find out what went wrong, look at your phone records, exactly what plan you signed up for, and call back and argue about the $25 if you still feel it's unjust. Most companies are reasonable when you're being rational. Also, when you first sign on to a contract like that, you're usually billed the first 2 months.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
9145 posts
2146 upvotes
I think Bell now runs/owns Virgin Mobile. This explains a lot.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
6631 posts
1298 upvotes
iheartpepsi wrote: You can not pay it, but collection agencies don't exactly listen to the "i didn't pay it because I felt I shouldn't have to" excuse. Find out what went wrong, look at your phone records, exactly what plan you signed up for, and call back and argue about the $25 if you still feel it's unjust. Most companies are reasonable when you're being rational. Also, when you first sign on to a contract like that, you're usually billed the first 2 months.
+1
Many companies bill the first two months together and then it's monthly after that.

You're going to have to pay the bill. If after looking things over as suggested above if you still feel they're wrong then you can continue to argue it after the fact.

A contract is a contract and when dealing with telecommunications companies you'll find that they are completely inflexible in letting you off. Many people may disagree with me but I don't see any reason for locking into a contract. It's a form of modern day slavery.
Deal Addict
Jun 22, 2009
1454 posts
52 upvotes
woof wrote: +1
Many people may disagree with me but I don't see any reason for locking into a contract. It's a form of modern day slavery.
Yep. And I've known way too many people who sign up without a good deal on a plan or without reading the fine print just for the sake of getting a crappy "free" $150 phone, and then scream "it's not fair!" when they realize their plan is crap and then decide not to pay their bill, and then whine when they get a $600+ collection agency bill. Fools :rolleyes:
Oct 8, 2006
202 posts
1 upvote
no bell does not own Virgin mobile

and a contract like that is standard i have been with virgin for 5 years and no problems yet

also check the contract i believe it is to other virgin phones i could be wrong

virgin is very agreeable when you need to discuss these problems as long as you are polite about it

as always read the fine print in ANY contract
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2006
3452 posts
290 upvotes
Downtown Canada
Frankie3s wrote: I think Bell now runs/owns Virgin Mobile. This explains a lot.
+1. I predicted this mess the moment they started selling contracts.
KTAPriest wrote: no bell does not own Virgin mobile

and a contract like that is standard i have been with virgin for 5 years and no problems yet

virgin is very agreeable when you need to discuss these problems as long as you are polite about it

Except your broken Period button.
:cool:
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2004
3171 posts
47 upvotes
Toronto
jessatrike wrote: What should I do about this?
1. Pay the bill in full
2. Read the contract and its fine print, then read it again, then read it again
3. Read the bill in detail and its fine print then read it again, then read it again
4. If you still find billing errors then call them and request adjustment. Make sure you are sure there are billing errors

Hope you don't have to do this again. Forget about canceling the contract. You don't have the right to do this.

edit: you have the right to cancel, just pay the canceling fee.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2007
3607 posts
280 upvotes
KTAPriest wrote: no bell does not own Virgin mobile

From the get-go Virgin Mobile Canada, which has always used the Bell CDMA network, was ~50% owned by Bell Canada and had 100% of its revenues reported on the balance sheets of Bell Canada. Recenty, Bell bought out Virgin Mobile entirely. VM is Bell now. Which explains the increasing rates and problems as of late.
Sep 11, 2004
82 posts
- Like someone else said, it's reasonable that they charged you for 2 months. Often companies do this at the start of a contract. Call Virgin and get them to explain exactly why they did this.

-I don't understand why they charged you for txting people in your 10-person buddy list. This should be fairly easy to dispute. Simply get your latest bill in PDF format from the Virgin website, and it will list every phone number you've texted. See if any of these numbers were outside your buddy list -- if this is the case, then there are only 2 possibilities: you actually sent those texts and didn't realize it OR there is a system error.

-I've been with Virgin for a few years now and their customer service is amazing, so I would expect this to be resolved.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2007
3816 posts
1134 upvotes
Actually, Bell does not own Virgin... BCE owns Virgin. Bell and Virgin are subsidy of BCE.
When I called them and asked why my bill was so high, they claimed I made 95 text messages to people I don't even know. I have the 10 free talk/text plan for students, and the only people I messaged were people in the top 10. The 10 free talk/text plan also boasts "Unlimited texting", but Virgin said that I can only send 55 messages to people in the top 10, not an unlimited amount.
Are you sure you signed up for the MyCrew10? Check the contract, it could be someone put you on the wrong plan. The other thing you have to remember is those 10 numbers can only be changed once a month. So, if you had removed person A to replace with person B and typed peron B's number wrong... you should contact customer service to get the fix. if you did it yourself, it wont work until next billing cycle.

I recommend you calling them back and just explain the situation. No need to raise any voice just keep questioning. If I have 10 ppl free talk/text, why was I charged? If they mentioned what you said "only send 55 messages," ask them, then why advertise unlimited texting to 10 friends?

Oh and monthly fee... $25 (1st month) + $25 (2nd month) + $35 (activation fee, unless waived) + tax

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)