Expired Hot Deals

[Virgin Mobile] *update - Free Internet 50Mbps/10Mbps -3 months no obligation

  • Last Updated:
  • Jun 12th, 2020 9:53 pm
Member
Mar 13, 2013
233 posts
77 upvotes
LONDON
Thank you. This is perfect timing wise. My installation is scheduled for tomorrow and I'll sure be asking the tech to switch the modem to the bridge mode (if able).
goldx789 wrote: Yes. I just recently had my service installed. I also received the Steve modem. I had to call in and ask for the modem to be put in bridge mode. You must call in to do it, as they will have you reset the modem and change the password and login credentials on their end, and then you enter the login information on your own router.

I don't know if the tech can do it at the time of installation, but you can ask. If not just call and they will walk you through the process.
Jr. Member
User avatar
Feb 1, 2018
199 posts
101 upvotes
FoMoHotDeals wrote: I was given the complete opposite info by Virgin's CSR. I didn't even know Virgin does contracts. Did you try getting that deal with another csr?
Try again today with another CSR online called Dorina. She gave me 2 options:

1. With contract: 24 months for 25MBPS for $40/month ($10 off)
2. Without contract: one month free - that's all

EDIT: I called this time instead of using online chat and I tried to provide fake deal, then the CSR told me that in Quebec, there is only 2 deals: 10$ off or one month free, unlimited, without contract and guaranteed for 24 months.
Last edited by MockingJayTM on Apr 27th, 2018 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Member
Mar 13, 2013
233 posts
77 upvotes
LONDON
I just got my VM internet connected today. The speed is as advertised: I am getting 49.47Mbps down and 10.00 mbps up.

However, the Steve modem is pretty limited. I am NOT able to 1) put my original router in DMZ nor can I 2) perform forwarding. I've found these setting in Steve GUI but activating them doesn't seem to work. I have vpn/ssh server among other things behind the router and not being able to port-forward successfully is a bit strange.

Called VM's tech support and was told that, in order to change Steve to bridge mode I have to call the manufacturer :) I guess I'll call again in a day or two to reach a different tech.
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 10, 2017
1662 posts
1388 upvotes
Toronto
MockingJayTM wrote: Try again today with another CSR online called Dorina. She gave me 2 options:

1. With contract: 24 months for 25MBPS for $40/month ($10 off)
2. Without contract: one month free - that's all

I am not certain, but I think they cannot tied you to a contract in Quebec, is that correct? Did anyone here provide the word "contract" when they try to deal with them?
I'm in Toronto, I renewed my internet deals with Virgin few times over the years and I never had to sign a contract.
For option one did ask you the CSR, what's the cancellation fee, if you decided to cancel after few months?
Just a few days ago Virgin offered me the $20 deal ($10 off for 12months) and I was told it's not a contract, the price is guaranteed for 12 months.
Multi Millionaire in Points
Jr. Member
User avatar
Feb 1, 2018
199 posts
101 upvotes
FoMoHotDeals wrote: I'm in Toronto, I renewed my internet deals with Virgin few times over the years and I never had to sign a contract.
For option one did ask you the CSR, what's the cancellation fee, if you decided to cancel after few months?
Just a few days ago Virgin offered me the $20 deal ($10 off for 12months) and I was told it's not a contract, the price is guaranteed for 12 months.
I am pretty sure the first deal I got with Jennifer (previous message) was the best ($10 off with one month free), then it gets worst when I start mentioning contract, so she tied me to a contract. Damn... But that's OK. $40 monthly for 25MBPS is less than what I paid with Vmedia. I just hope for a stable Internet.
Member
Mar 13, 2013
233 posts
77 upvotes
LONDON
talked to 3 VM tech support and none of them were helpful. As matter of fact, the last tech support simply stated that they won't provide any support for router-related questions (such as port forwarding or DMZ).

Rather disappointing. I guess I'll keep on calling until I reach a competent tech support.
chene7 wrote: I just got my VM internet connected today. The speed is as advertised: I am getting 49.47Mbps down and 10.00 mbps up.

However, the Steve modem is pretty limited. I am NOT able to 1) put my original router in DMZ nor can I 2) perform forwarding. I've found these setting in Steve GUI but activating them doesn't seem to work. I have vpn/ssh server among other things behind the router and not being able to port-forward successfully is a bit strange.

Called VM's tech support and was told that, in order to change Steve to bridge mode I have to call the manufacturer :) I guess I'll call again in a day or two to reach a different tech.
Jr. Member
Mar 15, 2005
183 posts
34 upvotes
Just called in the morning. I signed up for the 3 months free $60 deal a month ago.

I asked them if they could switch me to the $30 a month for 12 months deal and they did it with no issues.
Newbie
Jun 24, 2015
34 posts
8 upvotes
Markham, ON
I was able to switch from the 3 months free deal to the half price for 12 months deal having used two free months.
Member
User avatar
Oct 4, 2010
222 posts
138 upvotes
Torontoish
LLZuB wrote: Just called in the morning. I signed up for the 3 months free $60 deal a month ago.

I asked them if they could switch me to the $30 a month for 12 months deal and they did it with no issues.
The question is if you will get the remainder of the 3 mo free then go to the paid plan or start paying $30 immediately
Member
Nov 20, 2009
350 posts
140 upvotes
Welland
chene7 wrote:
Called VM's tech support and was told that, in order to change Steve to bridge mode I have to call the manufacturer :) I guess I'll call again in a day or two to reach a different tech.
1 - When I called in, the technician gave me a new login and password.
2 - He then reset the new settings on his side.
3 - Then I held down the reset switch on Steve that basically set the modem to default.
4 - I then logged into the modem and disabled wireless. (Login at http://192.168.2.1 on Steve Router default Password: admin)
5 - Login into your router and Select Wan - then Select PPPOE
6 - Enter your new login and password that the tech gave you under PPPOE in your router.
7 - Then Connect a lan cable from the modem (Steve) from Lan Port1 to the Wan port on your router.

The tech needs to do steps 1 and 2 before the rest, otherwise you will not be able to proceed further.

My tech did put me on hold while he checked for the correct procedure as he didn't know either.
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 10, 2017
1662 posts
1388 upvotes
Toronto
IF you are currently with Virgin and they are refusing to switch you over to the $30 plan, just tell them you want to cancel and set the cancel date for a week later or at the end of your billing cycle. In the event that they don't offer you the $30 plan immediately, wait for few days for them to call you back and offer you that deal. If for any bizarre reason Virgin doesn't offer you the $30 plan, you can always call back and uncancell.

PS- If they refuse to do the cancel order for future date, tell them you don't have time to call back and do the cancellation again.
Multi Millionaire in Points
Jr. Member
Mar 15, 2005
183 posts
34 upvotes
MrsDoubtfire wrote: The question is if you will get the remainder of the 3 mo free then go to the paid plan or start paying $30 immediately
No, they can;t apply both promo's you need to choose one or the other. In the long run the 30$ is the better deal.
Jr. Member
User avatar
Feb 1, 2018
199 posts
101 upvotes
Does anyone in Montreal got the full 10M upload speed? I am getting around 3.77Mbps upload and the Bell tech told me that is what he can give me. Got the Steve modem cause fiber is not available in my area - that’s what the tech told me.
Sr. Member
Nov 2, 2011
849 posts
229 upvotes
Toronto
The virgin guy took my bell modem, now bell wants like 300 bucks!!
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 25, 2003
14749 posts
3652 upvotes
Markham
ilapastel wrote: The virgin guy took my bell modem, now bell wants like 300 bucks!!
Complain to Virgin see if they can find that tech
or file complain to CCTS
96TB Mediasonic H82-SU3S2 / 72TB Raid 50 on Mediasonic H8R2-SU3S2
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro

Top