Hot Deals

[Virgin Mobile] Virgin Home internet 100 M for $45, 50M for $40 with Bill credit YMMV (now with $100 GC)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 22nd, 2020 12:13 am
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2008
1458 posts
329 upvotes
Burlington, ON
Deal_Or_Nodeal_17 wrote: I have to try this. Which modem do you have ?
HH2000 aka Steve.
Public Mobile $13/month
Fido 3GB data only plan
Sep 30, 2011
83 posts
50 upvotes
Actively looking for a new ISP, would have considered 100M but when checking at their website, they offer for my location only 25M, tried Bell's website, same result, highest 25M. I might have very old infrastructure. I guess cable is the only option for me.
Mar 16, 2018
700 posts
788 upvotes
Hamilton
Screenshot 2020-09-27 132233.png
Screenshot 2020-09-27 132350.png

Pretty happy with my 50/10 Virgin service, just running the stock Steve modem and haven't bothered to set up my own Archer C7.
Aug 19, 2013
687 posts
525 upvotes
TORONTO
Deal_Or_Nodeal_17 wrote: Do you have Steve or Valarie ?
I got the Valerie. It’s plugged directly into a fibre jack (not phone)
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2008
1458 posts
329 upvotes
Burlington, ON
Deal_Or_Nodeal_17 wrote: Are you Bell or Virgin ? Looks like Virgin may have diff firmware.
I'm with Virgin. I think your right they run different firmware.
Public Mobile $13/month
Fido 3GB data only plan
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2006
1423 posts
1464 upvotes
Kitchener
SilvianC206347 wrote: Just had Virgin 50/10 installed this week with Steve Home Hub 2000 router. I turned off the WiFi on the hub portal and plugged in my 4-point Google WiFi mesh. Works perfectly, I get 75 down 10 up constantly.
Thanks for this... I did the same thing this morning after install.
unplugged orbi from Bell router, plugged into Steve
Logged in to Virgin router, toggled WiFi off (desktop mode top left side)
Then my phone instantly connected back to my Orbi wifi system

All my devices are back up and running on the existing Orbi network i have setup

knock on wood, couldn't have gone smoother
Mar 17, 2015
208 posts
96 upvotes
Toronto, ON
christov wrote: Thanks for this... I did the same thing this morning after install.
unplugged orbi from Bell router, plugged into Steve
Logged in to Virgin router, toggled WiFi off (desktop mode top left side)
Then my phone instantly connected back to my Orbi wifi system

All my devices are back up and running on the existing Orbi network i have setup

knock on wood, couldn't have gone smoother
@SilvianC206347 @christov - Speed reduction only happens when you have Virgin Steve Modem and You have 100/10 package. I am curious to know If your Google WiFi / Orbi is in Access Point Mode or Router Mode. I am using tp-link Deco M5 and if i keep the mesh in router mode i can only get max 50MB while access point mode i get fill 100 MB, maybe because of two DSL lines - i dont know.
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2013
1808 posts
1244 upvotes
condo
nation wide or only Eastern Canada? Please put that in the title or OP, thanks
Jun 23, 2017
298 posts
402 upvotes
Deal_Or_Nodeal_17 wrote: @SilvianC206347 @christov - Speed reduction only happens when you have Virgin Steve Modem and You have 100/10 package. I am curious to know If your Google WiFi / Orbi is in Access Point Mode or Router Mode. I am using tp-link Deco M5 and if i keep the mesh in router mode i can only get max 50MB while access point mode i get fill 100 MB, maybe because of two DSL lines - i dont know.
I have the 50/10 package. The Virgin technician tested the speed to my house and said I could barely get 100 down, but not enough for the 100/10 package. I asked him to increase it bit from 50 and he capped it at 75 download. This is with pair bonding (two DSL lines).
I tested the speed on Steve's Wi-Fi first, then switched off the Wi-Fi on Steve's portal and plugged in my Google Wi-Fi system (4 points). There is no slowdown, I get a solid 75 down 10 up consistently, any time of day. Google Wi-Fi is in its default setting, I assume it's router mode, don't see an option for anything else.
Mar 17, 2015
208 posts
96 upvotes
Toronto, ON
SilvianC206347 wrote: I have the 50/10 package. The Virgin technician tested the speed to my house and said I could barely get 100 down, but not enough for the 100/10 package. I asked him to increase it bit from 50 and he capped it at 75 download. This is with pair bonding (two DSL lines).
I tested the speed on Steve's Wi-Fi first, then switched off the Wi-Fi on Steve's portal and plugged in my Google Wi-Fi system (4 points). There is no slowdown, I get a solid 75 down 10 up consistently, any time of day. Google Wi-Fi is in its default setting, I assume it's router mode, don't see an option for anything else.
Thank you for detail. I even tried my ASUS router and for some reason speed goes down to 50. Let me compare tp-link and google
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2008
1458 posts
329 upvotes
Burlington, ON
Deal_Or_Nodeal_17 wrote: Thank you for detail. I even tried my ASUS router and for some reason speed goes down to 50. Let me compare tp-link and google
This post may be of help. He was getting 100 down on the modem, but through the router was only getting half that, 50 down.

virgin-mobile-virgin-home-internet-100- ... #p33145884
Public Mobile $13/month
Fido 3GB data only plan
Mar 17, 2015
208 posts
96 upvotes
Toronto, ON
repatch wrote: Yes, but make sure you get the PPTP login credentials.

Just plug your router into port 1 of the modem and you're good to go.
@repatch - Can you please elaborate how did you go about obtaining PPTP credential ? I assume this is different from when you login using 192.168.1.1 ? Any config required after logging in ?

Thank you in advance
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2007
5761 posts
5367 upvotes
Deal_Or_Nodeal_17 wrote: @repatch - Can you please elaborate how did you go about obtaining PPTP credential ? I assume this is different from when you login using 192.168.1.1 ? Any config required after logging in ?

Thank you in advance
Woops, I meant PPPoE credentials.

As for getting them, well, you SHOULD have them. The tech who installed your service should have given you the username and password.

Mine didn't. When I called Virgin they claimed they couldn't retrieve the password, and would have to reset it to give it to me. That concerned me since if something went FUBAR I'd have no internet.

So, I got a backup internet service, and called again. This time they told me they could just get it, on hold, they hung up...

Called back, and this time was able to get the credentials.

In my case I wanted to turf the Steve modem, it's a loaded pile of excrement, poor performance, and a web GUI that is incredibly slow and doesn't work right.

I entered the credentials into a VDSL modem I had lying around (thanks Value Village) and was up and running.

I've since built a pfSense box, installed ad blocking, bridged my two internet connections, added an openVPN server, and am very happy with the result. Should have done this years ago. Oh well.
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2009
1948 posts
1397 upvotes
Toronto
What's the cheapest alternative to the steve modem? I want bridge mode.

Thread Information

There are currently 4 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 3 guests)

congeestar