Expired Hot Deals

Virgin Mobile

Virgin Internet 100M $50 (QC, maybe other regions), possible answer to Fizz 120M $50.

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 13th, 2021 10:57 am
11 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 30, 2019
1368 posts
5509 upvotes
I still have time to cancel Fizz I guess haha. I think Virgin is better because its fiber internet?
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2017
1462 posts
2341 upvotes
Spiritualx wrote: I still have time to cancel Fizz I guess haha. I think Virgin is better because its fiber internet?
Not necessarily. I've had Virgin at 2 locations in downtown Montreal and speed/connection is not nearly as stable as Videotron/Fizz.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 10, 2011
8986 posts
16231 upvotes
Montreal
Spiritualx wrote: I still have time to cancel Fizz I guess haha. I think Virgin is better because its fiber internet?
Only if you have Optical Fiber all the way into your home. Otherwise, it's Optical Fiber to your local DSLAM (the big Bell box somewhere in your neighborhood) and regular copper wires from the DSLAM to your home. Then, your results will vary depending on your distance to the DSLAM and the state your copper wiring is. I've had Bell Fiber over copper wires downtown Montreal (very close to my DSLAM) and the max it could deliver is 50 Mbps. So YMMV. A coax cable that runs to your home has much more capacity than a couple of copper wires. Vidéotron can easily deliver 400 Mbps anywhere. That is proof of the power of the coax cable which Fizz uses.
Last edited by Temporel on Jun 1st, 2021 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jun 30, 2019
1368 posts
5509 upvotes
Temporel wrote: Only if you have Optical Fiber all the way into your home. Otherwise, it's Optical Fiber to your local DSLAM (the big Bell box somewhere in your neighborhood) and regular copper wires from the DSLAM to your home. Then, your results will vary depending on your distance to the DSLAM and the state your copper wiring is. I've had Bell Fiber over copper wires downtown Montreal (very close to my DSLAM) and the max it could deliver is 50 Mbps. So YMMV. A coax cable that runs to your home has much more capacity than a couple of coper wires. Vidéotron can easily deliver 400 Mbps anywhere.
My building supports all the Fiber speeds
Dec 24, 2012
762 posts
1109 upvotes
Terrebonne
Temporel wrote: Only if you have Optical Fiber all the way into your home. Otherwise, it's Optical Fiber to your local DSLAM (the big Bell box somewhere in your neighborhood) and regular copper wires from the DSLAM to your home. Then, your results will vary depending on your distance to the DSLAM and the state your copper wiring is. I've had Bell Fiber over copper wires downtown Montreal (very close to my DSLAM) and the max it could deliver is 50 Mbps. So YMMV. A coax cable that runs to your home has much more capacity than a couple of copper wires. Vidéotron can easily deliver 400 Mbps anywhere. That is proof of the power of the coax cable which Fizz uses.
Would Virgin tell me if I'll get FTTH if I call them or so you just find out when the tech gets to your house?
Deal Fanatic
Apr 10, 2011
8986 posts
16231 upvotes
Montreal
Spiritualx wrote: My building supports all the Fiber speeds
That's because as I said, you have (FTTH) Fiber to the home. At my address (and many older neighborhoods) I don't thus only 50 Mbps available from Virgin.

Also the upload is half with Virgin. That might be a problem if there are more than one person zooming at the same time or when you back-up your files or if you run specialized applications like a Plex server. Fizz is 120/20 Mbps while Virgin is 100/10 Mbps.
Images
  • Screenshot (1202).png
Deal Fanatic
Apr 10, 2011
8986 posts
16231 upvotes
Montreal
KarlDag wrote: Would Virgin tell me if I'll get FTTH if I call them or so you just find out when the tech gets to your house?
You only have to enter your address on Virgin's web site. If you DON'T have FTTH, the max you will see available is 50 Mbps. See the image in my last post above.
Apr 12, 2018
36 posts
40 upvotes
Temporel wrote: You only have to enter your address on Virgin's web site. If you DON'T have FTTH, the max you will see available is 50 Mbps. See the image in my last post above.
And 50/10 is the absolute max you can possibly get with FTTN, meaning you'll only get that if you're like 100m from the Bell box. In my area of Montreal the Bell copper lines are so bad the max realistic speed with that plan was 27 down, 2.5 up. Basically Bell's way of screwing over resellers is to refuse to rent out their FTTH lines and let the copper lines rot to nothing.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2011
1270 posts
860 upvotes
Québec
Temporel wrote: You only have to enter your address on Virgin's web site. If you DON'T have FTTH, the max you will see available is 50 Mbps. See the image in my last post above.
They can offer 100mbs by combining 2 VDSL lines, so you have to check if you may get higher than 100Mbs to be sure that it's FTTH and not FTTN.
Mar 10, 2011
22 posts
2 upvotes
montreal
if you get FTTH, and never had fiber to your house/condo, what equipements will they use for the installation? will they use the existing coaxial cable ? and if they do use it but i already using it for something else ?
Deal Addict
May 13, 2005
3618 posts
3493 upvotes
Montreal
tlchris wrote: if you get FTTH, and never had fiber to your house/condo, what equipements will they use for the installation? will they use the existing coaxial cable ? and if they do use it but i already using it for something else ?
They will drill a hole and wire fiber optic cable to your house for Bell/Virgin FTTH.
The existing cable you have is the Videotron coaxial cable (not fiber optic cable).

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)