Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Virgin Mobile

Virgin Internet $40 50/10 or $45 100/10

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 31st, 2021 10:17 am
Jan 21, 2015
10 posts
9 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
Spongeboy wrote: Has anyone in the GTA been able to get this deal recently? Called the number in the promo but the rep had no record of it.
The rep... highly sus.
Called yesterday and got the 100/10 deal for setup in Kitchener-Waterloo, so perhaps just a bad rep/YMMV. I'm not a former VM client and I just referenced seeing potential internet deals online.
Sep 16, 2012
730 posts
587 upvotes
Toronto
Spongeboy wrote: Has anyone in the GTA been able to get this deal recently? Called the number in the promo but the rep had no record of it.
The rep... highly sus.
You can also sign up via the livechat popup, try incognito if it doesn't show up.

Also a DP for anyone that was wondering: was an existing bell customer and signed up for virgin internet service after scheduling a cancellation with Bell. They ask you to consent to a credit check, but no hard pull was done on either Equifax or TransUnion. My guess here is that if you have existing bell services with the same name and address that is active, there's a reduce chance of a hard pull.
Apr 9, 2021
7 posts
8 upvotes
FYI - deal page now shows the special offer has gone up by $5/month for both options. 25 & 50 Mbps = $40/mo, 100Mbps = $45
https://www.virginmobile.ca/en/hot-offe ... offer.html

Got this (100Mbps) installed back in March (Thanks OP for the heads up!!!) as we have just finally had fibre brought into the neighbourhood. Previous max was about 7Mbps DSL over terrible lines.

Installer was great - in & out in 1:45, ran cable through existing hole in window frame alongside TV coax cable so no new holes drilled. Installed junction inside so he could then run much more flexible interior cable through the ceiling. Left me about 25 extra feet fibre cable so I can relocate the modem if I choose to after basement reno finished.
Sep 23, 2019
294 posts
348 upvotes
Toronto
Does anyone knows - If I will cancel my subscription in 6 months, will there be any penalty? Or will I just pay 6x45$ + tax and that is it?
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2004
1015 posts
607 upvotes
RedFlagAlias wrote: Does anyone knows - If I will cancel my subscription in 6 months, will there be any penalty? Or will I just pay 6x45$ + tax and that is it?
I asked the same and have it in writing (via online chat) that I can cancel anytime without penalty. Should be no contract with this offer.
Heatware (11-0-0)
Spongeboy
Jan 18, 2005
159 posts
55 upvotes
GTA
If anyone has their own router this works great for my 100mbs plan.

Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2007
8659 posts
9009 upvotes
ChongMan wrote: If anyone has their own router this works great for my 100mbs plan.

Note that's for FTTH people.
Deal Addict
Sep 28, 2005
4138 posts
2389 upvotes
Pointe-Claire
Not a big techie and have some questions...

I'm currently using Virgin Home Internet DSL over copper lines. The exterior line is brought into the house and the Steve modem is connected using a phone cable to the wall outlet.

I was told that they can install a new fibre optic cable to the house. It is supposed to be a big improvement versus copper?

What is unclear to me is how the new outlet connects to the Valerie modem. I was told that a new hole/outlet would be required that is completely separate to the DSL line. For those that already have this setup - is there still a wire/cable that connects from the wall outlet and the modem. If yes, how long is the wire?

One technician that I spoke with made it sound like there was some kind of "direct" connection and that the modem could not be moved from the outlet position (unlike DSL using a phone cable)???

Tried to watch the posted video but seems a bit complicated for me.

Thanks in advance!
I can't afford to save that much!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2007
8659 posts
9009 upvotes
deals46 wrote: Not a big techie and have some questions...

I'm currently using Virgin Home Internet DSL over copper lines. The exterior line is brought into the house and the Steve modem is connected using a phone cable to the wall outlet.

I was told that they can install a new fibre optic cable to the house. It is supposed to be a big improvement versus copper?

What is unclear to me is how the new outlet connects to the Valerie modem. I was told that a new hole/outlet would be required that is completely separate to the DSL line. For those that already have this setup - is there still a wire/cable that connects from the wall outlet and the modem. If yes, how long is the wire?

One technician that I spoke with made it sound like there was some kind of "direct" connection and that the modem could not be moved from the outlet position (unlike DSL using a phone cable)???

Tried to watch the posted video but seems a bit complicated for me.

Thanks in advance!
What you are talking about is FTTH. Yes, it's a completely separate line, and it's fibre optic. You can most certainly move the modem in your house, but you'd have to buy fibre optic cable to extend the line they install.

If you're on a Virgin plan you will see basically zero improvement (your ping will drop a bit). Having FTTH opens you to faster rates (especially upload), but that isn't available through Virgin (only Bell).
Deal Addict
Sep 28, 2005
4138 posts
2389 upvotes
Pointe-Claire
repatch wrote: What you are talking about is FTTH. Yes, it's a completely separate line, and it's fibre optic. You can most certainly move the modem in your house, but you'd have to buy fibre optic cable to extend the line they install.

If you're on a Virgin plan you will see basically zero improvement (your ping will drop a bit). Having FTTH opens you to faster rates (especially upload), but that isn't available through Virgin (only Bell).
Thanks!

They claim that it should be an improvement over the copper line. I get the occasional lag in service now. Anyways, it's supposed to be free installation so other than the hassle of a service call, i'll at least get fibre to home.
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2012
4007 posts
2868 upvotes
Kitchener
I am hoping I can get this deal once my Fido deal is up. I had Virgin DSL before, never ever any issues. Got the 100/10 advertised consistently.

I am with Rogers now, and sure, it’s 3x faster — but — damn, have to reset everything every week, and daily outages.
Why can't we all just get along?
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2018
3057 posts
3443 upvotes
GTA
deals46 wrote: Thanks!

They claim that it should be an improvement over the copper line. I get the occasional lag in service now. Anyways, it's supposed to be free installation so other than the hassle of a service call, i'll at least get fibre to home.
It is an improvement over copper in the sense it is extremely reliable and speeds are usually in excess of that you pay for. Getting 130 mbps on a 100 FTTH with Virgin.

Request the installer leave extra fibre cable from the modem to the fibre wall jack in case you want to move it later. My installer left me about 50 feet.
Deal Addict
Sep 28, 2005
4138 posts
2389 upvotes
Pointe-Claire
DaveTheDude wrote: It is an improvement over copper in the sense it is extremely reliable and speeds are usually in excess of that you pay for. Getting 130 mbps on a 100 FTTH with Virgin.

Request the installer leave extra fibre cable from the modem to the fibre wall jack in case you want to move it later. My installer left me about 50 feet.
Thanks! That's what I'm hoping for - was a bit annoying having lag issues on video calls. Slight increase in speed would be a bonus.

Will definitely ask about extra fibre cable. From what I've heard, it can be expensive otherwise. Get it while I can. Winking Face (plus, they didn't offer any of the ON plans - I'm in QC).
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2007
4222 posts
1357 upvotes
QC
ChongMan wrote: If anyone has their own router this works great for my 100mbs plan.

No really need for that. You can use the Bell/Virgin, turn everything off and use your routeur to connect to the service.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2007
8659 posts
9009 upvotes
DaveTheDude wrote: It is an improvement over copper in the sense it is extremely reliable and speeds are usually in excess of that you pay for. Getting 130 mbps on a 100 FTTH with Virgin.
It's an improvement over copper in the sense of reliability if, and only if, your copper connection is crap.

If your connection is good, there's no additional reliability to be had. Bell installed a new copper line when I signed up for Virgin a few years ago (existing lines in the ground were crap) and my connection has, quite literally, be 100% reliable, it has never gone down (not even during brief power outages).
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2018
3057 posts
3443 upvotes
GTA
repatch wrote: It's an improvement over copper in the sense of reliability if, and only if, your copper connection is crap.

If your connection is good, there's no additional reliability to be had. Bell installed a new copper line when I signed up for Virgin a few years ago (existing lines in the ground were crap) and my connection has, quite literally, be 100% reliable, it has never gone down (not even during brief power outages).
You have been lucky. Many people I know with DSL including myself had slower speeds then promised or disconnects at some point. Maybe the newer copper lines are better but many people are stuck with 40 year old Bell copper lines meant for telephone.
Deal Addict
Sep 28, 2005
4138 posts
2389 upvotes
Pointe-Claire
DaveTheDude wrote: You have been lucky. Many people I know with DSL including myself had slower speeds then promised or disconnects at some point. Maybe the newer copper lines are better but many people are stuck with 40 year old Bell copper lines meant for telephone.
Agreed. Although there has not been any outages, service has not been always smooth. Area was developed in the mid-80s... not sure if the copper is still the same from that time? Previous service call/installation technician told me that I shouldn't even bother asking for more than 25Mbps (getting about 21) as the existing infrastructure would not handle it. Beats dialup Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes
Jan 18, 2005
159 posts
55 upvotes
GTA
jfmartel wrote: No really need for that. You can use the Bell/Virgin, turn everything off and use your routeur to connect to the service.
I tried google for bridge mode in that modem/router but all I found no bridge modem on this modem thats why I go with this.
Deal Addict
Sep 28, 2005
4138 posts
2389 upvotes
Pointe-Claire
FWIW, I can now confirm that after installation (3+ hours) of a new fibre optic connection (replacing previous copper line setup) and using the Valerie modem, it is showing increase speeds. I had not asked for a change in plan so it is their 25/10 plan.

Previous setup showed a maximum of just under 22 Mbps D/L, just over 1 Mbps U/L.
Now getting consistent speed test results of over 33 Mbps D/L, just over 11 Mbps U/L.
So far, so good! Works for my needs. Finally getting advertised speeds+.
They would not offer the plans mentioned in this thread so this is the only improvement I was offered.

Good luck! Stay safe!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)