Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Virgin Mobile

Virgin Internet $40 50/10 or $45 100/10

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 31st, 2021 10:17 am
Feb 20, 2009
261 posts
216 upvotes
Mississauga
aw1883 wrote: Reading the thread, I'm a little confused about the connection in house. Was a Bell customer on Fibe 50 for about 2-3 years ending Nov 2020, When they installed in 2018, they installed a 2-port plate on the wall, one for Internet and one for Phone
From your description, I am betting you had a fibre-to-the-home install already. Double check at the Bell demarcation box outside of your house. If you already got FTTH, the VM technician could just give you the HH 2000/3000 and you can install it yourself.
But even if you did not get Bell FTTH, this Virgin deal gives you (a) free FTTH install, and (b) fibre connection from Bell's optical fibre termination point to your house. The fibre taps aren't scarce, but neither is it one-to-one for all homes in your neighbourhood. One free install will set you up for another 20 years.
Feb 20, 2009
261 posts
216 upvotes
Mississauga
o1Jeff wrote: do you guys get a consistent speed of 100mb with virgin?
currently with rogers paying for 300 or 500, however i consistently get lower than 100mb everytime i do a speed test
Cable Internet is highly variable because you are on a coaxial network segment with all your neighbours. If they use more you literally get less.
I am learning through this thread that VM is doing _DSL where Bell's fibre-to-the-home isn't available. If you get _DSL the result may be worse than cable Internet. But using FTTH your down/up will be consistent because that connection isn't shared with any neighbour (until your traffic is aggregated into Bell's GPON router).
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2007
8659 posts
9009 upvotes
AAAAAAA7 wrote: Downloading is fine. 10 upload is what killed it for me. Kids start trying to upload YouTube and or tiktok videos,or host minecraft servers and that 10 being all used up affects downloads surfing streaming working. Went back to bell gigabit (was very difficult process to comeback haha).
A good router, set up properly, would have mitigated that. Good you have a fiber option, but few of us do.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2007
8659 posts
9009 upvotes
Rx-87 wrote: am I the only one who's having a terrible experience with virgin DSL 100mbps service?

the 1st modem kept rebooting on its own.

2nd modem doing the same thing

tried powering directly from outlet, surge protector, different outlets,

even had a 2nd technician come in person and change the control at the terminal, plus new AC power adaptor, checked the dsl lines

said there's no issues he can see.

2nd modem still keeps rebooting randomly under usage.

they're now sending me a 3rd modem.

1 tech on the call explained having 2 dsl lines for 100mbps just means 2 more problems to deal with

I may have to just downgrade to 50mbps with virgin and 1 dsl line if thr problem persists after the 3rd modem and pray the 1 dsl line is stable.

but definitely a complete disaster compared to your positive experiences.

this is unbelievable that this is happening even
Let me guess: Steve modem? They are trash.

Pretty much all ISPs recycle modems. Pretty much all ISPs don't bother testing incoming modems for issues. So it's likely you've got two modems which were returned because they didn't work right, and weren't tested properly before being set out the door.

This can (and does) happen with pretty much any ISP that supplies you a modem.

Steve is so bad I bought my own modem and use that for Virgin. 100% solid since.
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2008
3560 posts
1705 upvotes
Ottawa
repatch wrote: Let me guess: Steve modem? They are trash.

Pretty much all ISPs recycle modems. Pretty much all ISPs don't bother testing incoming modems for issues. So it's likely you've got two modems which were returned because they didn't work right, and weren't tested properly before being set out the door.

Steve is so bad I bought my own modem and use that for Virgin. 100% solid since.
Just wondering, what model modem did you end up going with?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2007
8659 posts
9009 upvotes
Akitakara wrote: Just wondering, what model modem did you end up going with?
SmartRG SR505N.

https://www.smartrg.com/wp-content/uplo ... SR505n.pdf

Found it at a thrift shop for $5. Branded Acanac, but I just changed the PPPoE credentials. Only supports 50/10, but since that's my service level, I don't care. Works fantastically well, far better then the turd that is Steve.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2008
1629 posts
779 upvotes
Ottawa
From your description, I am betting you had a fibre-to-the-home install already. Double check at the Bell demarcation box outside of your house.
How would I tell? I don't remember him running a new line from end of the townhouse building (which Rogers has wanted to do every time), I remember remarking that he was using existing phone cable outside.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2008
1629 posts
779 upvotes
Ottawa
am I the only one who's having a terrible experience with virgin DSL 100mbps service?
Let me guess: Steve modem? They are trash.
Steve is HH2000 and Valerie is HH3000, right? If I've got it right, 100Mbps service implies HH3000/Valerie, right?

Obviously "they just send out modems returned by other users for problems" would still apply, but wondering why the HH2000 is trash (assuming a compatible 50Mbps service or less).
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2007
4222 posts
1357 upvotes
QC
o1Jeff wrote: do you guys get a consistent speed of 100mb with virgin?
currently with rogers paying for 300 or 500, however i consistently get lower than 100mb everytime i do a speed test
It's usually a little bit higher. 25mbps here and I have a steady 31mpbs. 50mbps should expect about 60mbps.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2007
8659 posts
9009 upvotes
aw1883 wrote: Steve is HH2000 and Valerie is HH3000, right? If I've got it right, 100Mbps service implies HH3000/Valerie, right?

Obviously "they just send out modems returned by other users for problems" would still apply, but wondering why the HH2000 is trash (assuming a compatible 50Mbps service or less).
Steve/HH2000 are VDSL, 100/10 max

HH3000 is FTTH.

I can't speak to the HH2000, my understanding is it's identical in hardware to 'Steve', but the firmware is different (at least the branding is different).

The problems with 'Steve' are numerous, mostly revolving around buggy firmware. Problems I've had:

1) Can't change the LAN IP range, you can make the change in the GUI, but it doesn't stick
2) Can't change the DHCP range, in this case I think the button greys out
3) Can't change the DNS server, it has this stupid 'enter the serial number of the modem' thing that pops up when you try, enter the correct serial and the modem SEEMS to take the change in setting, but nope, back to default after restart and reboot
4) It's SLOW, like REALLY slow, to do ANYTHING on it configuration wise
5) It 'crashes' after running a certain amount of time (usually a few days) depending on traffic

I've gone through multiple iterations on hardware, same results, it's just trash, at least how Virgin deploys it. If you don't want to change ANYTHING config wise I guess it's 'usable'

Anyways, I moved to my own modem, which works great.
Last edited by repatch on Mar 23rd, 2021 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2004
4747 posts
2164 upvotes
Durham Region
ravenjo wrote: From your description, I am betting you had a fibre-to-the-home install already. Double check at the Bell demarcation box outside of your house.
One internet jack and one phone jack sounds like a VDSL Splitter to me.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2008
1629 posts
779 upvotes
Ottawa
The problems with 'Steve' are numerous, mostly revolving around buggy firmware. Problems I've had:
Thanks.
May 3, 2017
35 posts
18 upvotes
jfmartel wrote: It's usually a little bit higher. 25mbps here and I have a steady 31mpbs. 50mbps should expect about 60mbps.
I am using 50 mpbs...get ~65 mbps since day 1
Deal Addict
Jul 17, 2005
2892 posts
52 upvotes
repatch wrote: Let me guess: Steve modem? They are trash.

Yeah - I tried to get them to give me the Valerie HH3000 for free - but they couldn't do it. Said I could only keep getting Steve modem replacements.

Oh I believe they just recycle the modems cause I can see like one WIFI network says "VIRGIN032" etc. and then the 2nd one was like "VIRGIN460" etc. so like I'm assuming thats the production cycle of these modems and clearly you either get a newer build / older one and it doesn' matter.

I mean - I have no idea what's wrong with Steve HH2000 - As frustrating as it sounds - it is highly hilarious too that I'm now on my 3rd modem TODAY.

But cross fingers it gets stable cause the speed is ridiculously fast though - noticeably fast.

What modem did you end up buying yourself to fix all these issues - I may end up trying that route if all else fails - seriously.
Deal Addict
Jul 17, 2005
2892 posts
52 upvotes
repatch wrote: Steve/HH2000 are VDSL, 100/10 max

HH3000 is FTTH.

I can't speak to the HH2000, my understanding is it's identical in hardware to 'Steve', but the firmware is different (at least the branding is different).

1) Can't change the LAN IP range, you can make the change in the GUI, but it doesn't stick
2) Can't change the DHCP range, in this case I think the button greys out
3) Can't change the DNS server, it has this stupid 'enter the serial number of the modem' thing that pops up when you try, enter the correct serial and the modem SEEMS to take the change in setting, but nope, back to default after restart and reboot
4) It's SLOW, like REALLY slow, to do ANYTHING on it configuration wise
5) It 'crashes' after running a certain amount of time (usually a few days) depending on traffic

I've gone through multiple iterations on hardware, same results, it's just trash, at least how Virgin deploys it. If you don't want to change ANYTHING config wise I guess it's 'usable'

Anyways, I moved to my own modem, which works great.
Agree - its so weird.

Steve modem HH2000 keeps losing DSL connection "NOT power" and completely clunks out and then doesn't reconnect back to the Internet. I'm no techincal dude but even I am guessing somethings wrong with the authentication process and the traffic it's trying to handle - which is 100mbps speeds.

If this keeps failing and is unstable - i'm going to try to downgrade the service to 50mbps and see if that'll fix it with the Steve or a Smart RG 50
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2007
8659 posts
9009 upvotes
Rx-87 wrote: Yeah - I tried to get them to give me the Valerie HH3000 for free - but they couldn't do it. Said I could only keep getting Steve modem replacements.

Oh I believe they just recycle the modems cause I can see like one WIFI network says "VIRGIN032" etc. and then the 2nd one was like "VIRGIN460" etc. so like I'm assuming thats the production cycle of these modems and clearly you either get a newer build / older one and it doesn' matter.

I mean - I have no idea what's wrong with Steve HH2000 - As frustrating as it sounds - it is highly hilarious too that I'm now on my 3rd modem TODAY.

But cross fingers it gets stable cause the speed is ridiculously fast though - noticeably fast.

What modem did you end up buying yourself to fix all these issues - I may end up trying that route if all else fails - seriously.
SmartRG SR505N

Got it for $5 at a thrift store. Try craigslist/kijiji.facebook marketplace, lots of options out there.

Note it only does 50/10 (no pair bonding is officially supported), but that's fine since that's the service level I have anyways.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2008
1629 posts
779 upvotes
Ottawa
I thought pair bonding was 50, I remember signing up a relative for 50 and Bell went back and forth whether they could deliver 25 or 50, the later requiring pair bonding and the wiring being borderline.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2002
4354 posts
1452 upvotes
Brampton
aw1883 wrote: I thought pair bonding was 50, I remember signing up a relative for 50 and Bell went back and forth whether they could deliver 25 or 50, the later requiring pair bonding and the wiring being borderline.
Depends on the condition of the copper. I also needed pair bonding to get 50Mb, while some can get as high as 100.
INFORMATION: The requested thread does not exist.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2007
8659 posts
9009 upvotes
aw1883 wrote: I thought pair bonding was 50, I remember signing up a relative for 50 and Bell went back and forth whether they could deliver 25 or 50, the later requiring pair bonding and the wiring being borderline.
Depends on the condition and length of your line. In my case one pair supports 50.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
22399 posts
3277 upvotes
Used to be the case years ago, most of the urban network is VDSL2.