Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Virgin Mobile

Virgin Mobile - $35/20GB BYOD

  • Last Updated:
  • Oct 16th, 2022 9:15 pm
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 27, 2007
2133 posts
1635 upvotes
TheJackal wrote: Currently in Indonesia. Just paid $20 CAD for 90 GB. XD
Also in Indonesia... " People make an average gross salary of $13,436 a year"

As a traveler you also have to give a random stranger (at the phone kiosk) your passport (which they make a copy of) in order to get a sim card (due to previous deadly bombings). But yes cell phone plans are cheap woohoo
Member
Dec 12, 2010
314 posts
197 upvotes
torontokris wrote: Also in Indonesia... " People make an average gross salary of $13,436 a year"

As a traveler you also have to give a random stranger (at the phone kiosk) your passport (which they make a copy of) in order to get a sim card (due to previous deadly bombings). But yes cell phone plans are cheap woohoo
Good thing my fam uses their local ID.
Hey look at me! I got a deal and you didn't. I am therefore superior as I prance around and show them off in my signature.
Sr. Member
Aug 27, 2009
845 posts
182 upvotes
I had a 12gb plan with Virgin ($35) with 11gb used and 6 days remaining, ported out to Rogers (winback $37.50 for 25gb) and immediately got a notification of overages... checked my account and it shows the 12gb prorated down to 9.6gb, and having overages of 1.5gb.

Anyone have experience with this before? Are they actually going to charge me $200+ in overages? I called in and they said they gave a $10 pro-rated refund of the plan price so they have to charge overages, but why would I care about a $10 refund if it costs me $200 in charges? They said to call back once the bill's generated but just trying to prepare myself
Sr. Member
Dec 15, 2017
621 posts
657 upvotes
Vancouver
NeedVIP wrote: I had a 12gb plan with Virgin ($35) with 11gb used and 6 days remaining, ported out to Rogers (winback $37.50 for 25gb) and immediately got a notification of overages... checked my account and it shows the 12gb prorated down to 9.6gb, and having overages of 1.5gb.

Anyone have experience with this before? Are they actually going to charge me $200+ in overages? I called in and they said they gave a $10 pro-rated refund of the plan price so they have to charge overages, but why would I care about a $10 refund if it costs me $200 in charges? They said to call back once the bill's generated but just trying to prepare myself
Wow. Never heard of this before. Wonder if it's always been a thing.
Either way, something good to pay attention to for future porting.
Currently: Fido Black Friday: 20GB/$30 - LTE
Previously: Telus EPP: 20GB/$50 - 5G
"Retail is for suckers" - Cosmo Kramer
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 12, 2004
11662 posts
2293 upvotes
Guelph
NeedVIP wrote: I had a 12gb plan with Virgin ($35) with 11gb used and 6 days remaining, ported out to Rogers (winback $37.50 for 25gb) and immediately got a notification of overages... checked my account and it shows the 12gb prorated down to 9.6gb, and having overages of 1.5gb.

Anyone have experience with this before? Are they actually going to charge me $200+ in overages? I called in and they said they gave a $10 pro-rated refund of the plan price so they have to charge overages, but why would I care about a $10 refund if it costs me $200 in charges? They said to call back once the bill's generated but just trying to prepare myself
This is why you port out on your billing date.
HEATWARE AT 64-0-0. Ebay Feedback 200+ and counting. RFD Feedback 71-0-0 and counting.
Member
User avatar
Jul 17, 2019
250 posts
366 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
Today, I signed up for:

1st Line- $30 15gb ($15 off for 12mo)
2nd Line- $20 15gb ($15 off for 12mo + 24 mo add a line promo)

Both plans with 1000 LTD and Connection fee waived

Total $50+tax every month is sweet for us.

Finally Freedom from FREEDOM!!!
😎 Money Saved is Money Earned 😎
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 12, 2004
11662 posts
2293 upvotes
Guelph
heartbug18 wrote: Today, I signed up for:

1st Line- $30 15gb ($15 off for 12mo)
2nd Line- $20 15gb ($15 off for 12mo + 24 mo add a line promo)

Both plans with 1000 LTD and Connection fee waived

Total $50+tax every month is sweet for us.

Finally Freedom from FREEDOM!!!
Your 2nd line discount is $10 off? Which location did you sign up with?
HEATWARE AT 64-0-0. Ebay Feedback 200+ and counting. RFD Feedback 71-0-0 and counting.
Member
Apr 26, 2003
382 posts
8 upvotes
Vancouver
heartbug18 wrote: Today, I signed up for:

1st Line- $30 15gb ($15 off for 12mo)
2nd Line- $20 15gb ($15 off for 12mo + 24 mo add a line promo)

Both plans with 1000 LTD and Connection fee waived

Total $50+tax every month is sweet for us.

Finally Freedom from FREEDOM!!!
Could you please provide more details? How/where did you get this plan?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 23, 2015
1384 posts
2855 upvotes
Spawk1028 wrote: Man does Canada ever get the shaft compared to the rest of the world when it comes to cell plans.
Possibly it might have something to do with the size of the area serviced, the cost of the infrastructure to service that area and the total number of customers available to burden those costs. Luxembourg or Singapore are obviously smaller service areas and are more densely populated so their rates should be thousands of times less than ours or they are getting "the shaft". It's easy to complain though.
.
Member
User avatar
Jul 17, 2019
250 posts
366 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
squall458 wrote: Your 2nd line discount is $10 off? Which location did you sign up with?
Yes, signed up at Ottawa Rideau Centre during my weekend trip
😎 Money Saved is Money Earned 😎
Member
User avatar
Jul 17, 2019
250 posts
366 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
OMV wrote: Could you please provide more details? How/where did you get this plan?
Signed up at Ottawa Rideau Centre.
Wanted to get the fido $40 for 20GB and saw virgin offering the same plan as well in-store. Enquired and got the deal!

Network is so much better than freedom!! Drove back via 401 and no problem
😎 Money Saved is Money Earned 😎
Newbie
Dec 2, 2011
51 posts
127 upvotes
Toronto
NeedVIP wrote: I had a 12gb plan with Virgin ($35) with 11gb used and 6 days remaining, ported out to Rogers (winback $37.50 for 25gb) and immediately got a notification of overages... checked my account and it shows the 12gb prorated down to 9.6gb, and having overages of 1.5gb.

Anyone have experience with this before? Are they actually going to charge me $200+ in overages? I called in and they said they gave a $10 pro-rated refund of the plan price so they have to charge overages, but why would I care about a $10 refund if it costs me $200 in charges? They said to call back once the bill's generated but just trying to prepare myself
This is exactly how it should work.

There was still 20% of the month left when you cancelled so you would only get 80% of the allotted GB.

If you catch a nice CSR on a good day maybe they'll let you pay for the month and call it a day but realistically you would be on the hook for any overages above the 9.6 GB.
Newbie
Jun 21, 2006
86 posts
60 upvotes
heartbug18 wrote: Signed up at Ottawa Rideau Centre.
Wanted to get the fido $40 for 20GB and saw virgin offering the same plan as well in-store. Enquired and got the deal!

Network is so much better than freedom!! Drove back via 401 and no problem
Do you know if the data is shareable between lines?
Member
User avatar
Jul 17, 2019
250 posts
366 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
tastysatay wrote: Do you know if the data is shareable between lines?
Sorry I did not check as we don't use more than 4-5gb of data every month
😎 Money Saved is Money Earned 😎
Newbie
Apr 30, 2020
24 posts
3 upvotes
heartbug18 wrote: Today, I signed up for:

1st Line- $30 15gb ($15 off for 12mo)
2nd Line- $20 15gb ($15 off for 12mo + 24 mo add a line promo)

Both plans with 1000 LTD and Connection fee waived

Total $50+tax every month is sweet for us.

Finally Freedom from FREEDOM!!!
which locations? And what kind of sim fees, service charges, activation fees, taxes, or other hidden charges did you have to pay or will pay?
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2008
2766 posts
2709 upvotes
6060842 wrote: Possibly it might have something to do with the size of the area serviced, the cost of the infrastructure to service that area and the total number of customers available to burden those costs. Luxembourg or Singapore are obviously smaller service areas and are more densely populated so their rates should be thousands of times less than ours or they are getting "the shaft". It's easy to complain though.
If you look the coverage map, less than 50% of land is covered in Canada so it's not the conventional population density we're talking about here.

Regardless, the trend is regions/countries with telecom competition sees average lower prices while those with less competition sees higher. There are also arguments that the extra profit is used for R&D and network upgrades which in turn benefits customers, but of course that resulted in a nation wide Roger's network outage that even took down payment systems.
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2018
1184 posts
1758 upvotes
Hamilton
6060842 wrote: Possibly it might have something to do with the size of the area serviced, the cost of the infrastructure to service that area and the total number of customers available to burden those costs. Luxembourg or Singapore are obviously smaller service areas and are more densely populated so their rates should be thousands of times less than ours or they are getting "the shaft". It's easy to complain though.
That logic completely falls apart the moment you leave a city and realize the Big 3 put little effort into rural infrastructure and when they do, it's typically because of a government grant. The area that they actually serve have very comparable densities for other countries around the world with much cheaper telecom services. You can't even place a 911 call from much of the Trans-Canada highway my guy lmao
Sr. Member
Nov 30, 2018
613 posts
645 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Saw this poster at Westwood Mall today. $30 for 20GB, good for 1 year, first 2 months it will be $35, then remaining 10 months it will be $30. New Activations. After 1 year, price goes to $60.

Image
Deal Addict
May 24, 2017
1559 posts
1217 upvotes
QuinteWest
Fksdom wrote: Saw this poster at Westwood Mall today. $30 for 20GB, good for 1 year, first 2 months it will be $35, then remaining 10 months it will be $30. New Activations. After 1 year, price goes to $60.

Image
Where is this Westwood Mall ?

Top